DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

In Vader's book, he talks about how Misawa got money off the Yakuza to start NOAH. Which is why, when Vader had a big falling out with one particular Yakuza member, he had to leave the company.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

In Vader's book, he talks about how Misawa got money off the Yakuza to start NOAH. Which is why, when Vader had a big falling out with one particular Yakuza member, he had to leave the company.

That probably explains Scorpio disappearance too.

Honestly that sucked. I really liked the handful of Vader & Scorpio shit in NOAH. They never really got a real replacement after that. I guess Bison Smith counts, but they didn’t do much with him as a singles guy other than challenging for the belt a few times.

If Bruiser did do any of that shit he was surely led into it by people smarter than him, I'll say that much. You don't kick it with bikers if you aren't pretty nuts though. The real question I have is about how he died; the wife bringing up them having to scrape his lungs after being maced and then going silent is telling. This is a guy I can see going after a cop or a CO and them going overboard.

Luna Vachon is up next. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Odd that I remember Ion's work as Bruiser Bedlam and Taras Bulba more than I remember his days as Johnny K-9.  It is sad that the love of the life was too much for him to resist.

I'm looking forward to the Luna Vachon episode.  That shit will be crazy.  I am dying to hear what Gangrel and Kevin Sullivan say.

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

When it comes to Johnny K9/Bruiser Bedlam, it depends on who you believe.

The Canadian Police say he's a murderer and a dangerous person.

His wife, on the other hand, is pretty sure he didn't kill anybody.

I'll take the word of the detective who investigated the case.  The widow (ex-wife?) does't come across as someone protecting K-9's image or whatever, but I really didn't take her at her word.  I felt like she was either deluding herself about who her husband was, or just saw the best in him and remembers that.

K-9 definitely came across as someone who probably could be manipulated by smarter people, but that doesn't absolve him.  "Oh, sorry, I meant to blow up a strip bar instead" is a rather poor rationalizations.  And it seems likely he had some role (probably as trigger man) in the double murder.  He lad a long-history of run-in's with the police, worked as a mob enforcer, sold steroids & cocaine, etc. Probably the best thing I can say about the real Ion Croitoru is that the people he associated with were probably more dangerous than he was.

The story about watering the pot was amusing, but also seems like the sort of thing that makes you lots of enemies. 

Edited by Eoae

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Odd that I remember Ion's work as Bruiser Bedlam and Taras Bulba more than I remember his days as Johnny K-9.  It is sad that the love of the life was too much for him to resist.

I'm looking forward to the Luna Vachon episode.  That shit will be crazy.  I am dying to hear what Gangrel and Kevin Sullivan say.

He wasn't the more "famous" Taras Bulba from World Class though. 

http://www.wrestlingepicenter.com/RIP/TerasBulba.html

Regarding Luna, I've only ever heard Gangrel speak pretty highly of her. They were friends even after they divorced IIRC.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 2:25 PM, cwoy2j said:

Thanks for that!  I was really confused and thought I had some Mandela Effect shit going on because I swore the guy I saw beat Kerry wasn't K-9.

Can somebody explain the whole "scrape his lungs" thing?  Also, remember, his biker pal figured he got a hot shot/hot dose from someone who wanted to kill him.

Edited by Technico Support

On 10/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, cwoy2j said:

Regarding Luna, I've only ever heard Gangrel speak pretty highly of her. They were friends even after they divorced IIRC.

Wrestling is trash these days because we don't have a single wrestler based on a Nikolai Gogol story, let alone two.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks for that!  I was really confused and thought I had some Mandela Effect shit going on because I swore the guy I saw beat Kerry wasn't K-9.

Can somebody explain the whole "scrape his lungs" thing?  Also, remember, his biker pal figured he got a hot shot/hot dose from someone who wanted to kill him.

The only reason I even thought of that was because I remember one of the Apter mags ran a cover story on Taras Bulba beating Kerry with the clawhold and how that was signifying the downfall of the Von Erich dynasty. I remembered that guy being kinda fat and thinking that didn't jive with Johnny K-9's body type.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

The only reason I even thought of that was because I remember one of the Apter mags ran a cover story on Taras Bulba beating Kerry with the clawhold and how that was signifying the downfall of the Von Erich dynasty. I remembered that guy being kinda fat and thinking that didn't jive with Johnny K-9's body type.

I saw it happen on TV!  Living in Baltimore, we could get a DC independent UHF station (channel 50) that, in 1989, ran wrestling every weekday at 6pm.  World Class, Global, AWA, GLOW.  I still remember it and it was such a cool, simple way of getting a new monster over.

• Like 1

I dunno. It pretty well deflated the crowd. The Von Erichs should have probably not ever lost in their home promotion, even if it was to their own finisher. There was too much defeat in their history in real life that everybody knew about. I guess it isn't as bad as Fritz faking the heart attack though...

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Wrestling is trash these days because we don't have a single wrestler based on a Nikolai Gogol story, let alone two.

I could totally get behind a masked heel called "The Nose."

• Haha 1

This is the episode I was looking forward to most. Always dug Luna. She wasn't the best wrestler but loved her as a personality. I can only imagine what she experienced and then her kids. Good episode. Plus we got Mad Maxine and Penelope Paradise! 

• Like 1

Just felt really bad for Luna never truly getting the acknowledgement she wanted and all the personal struggles she went through. She did get inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, but it only part of the group induction in the Legacy wing in 2019.

I did think this was one of the better episodes this season. 

I realized sometime last night that WCW deciding to 86 their women's division in 1997 sorta led to the WWF getting women who could work with Sable and other wrestlers.

Jacqueline was in WCW in 1997, but not really with the women, and most of her run was either being with Sullivan (who was gone by mid-97) and getting a win over Disco Inferno on her way out of the company. She debuted in the WWF in like May 98 with Mero.

Luna was in WCW shortly in mid-1997, worked against Madusa, and then had a Puerto Rico run before going to the WWF to work with Goldust during one of his weirder runs.

Luna and Jackie had a bunch of matches against each other in 98/99. Idk if Jackie would have had anything to add about Luna if they interviewed her, but she might have been in a very similar spot of not getting credited for making Sable look good. Then again, as those of us who remember 1998 PPVs remember, Jackie was much more willing to play ball on certain things.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Madusa Micelli is in my Sinister Minister cool book for life now after what she said on that episode. 

The story of Medusa basically begging Luna to pin her in Canada for the belt and she wouldn't do it was incredibly fascinating.  I wonder if she refused because she didn't think she could handle it or she didn't think that was how the business should be.

Also curious how close this was to Medusa throwing the belt in the trash in WCW

On 10/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Madusa Micelli is in my Sinister Minister cool book for life now after what she said on that episode. 

YES.  And add Luna's son to the "wrestler kids and siblings who somehow turned out okay and seem to be really cool people" list. 

• Like 2