DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Car Shield is putting a pause on the Flair adverts. 

The fallout of last night's Dark Side of the Ring episode on "The Plane Ride from Hell" has continued, PWInsider.com has exclusively confirm.

The Car Shield commercial campaign featuring the WWE Hall of Famer as the star of a number off spots for the brand has been "paused."

A spokesperson for Intermedia, the advertising agency which handles Car Shield's commercials told PWInsider.com:

"We take these matters very seriously. As of right now, we are pausing the campaign and we will do our due diligence."

PWInsider.com is also told there is currently no timetable for the spots to return to the airwaves and that the commercial will soon disappear from the airwaves pending additional investigation and decisions.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There's definitely some weird moral relativism going on in wrestling.  Christ, even Terri said something like, "if I went to court every time I was harassed, I'd be in court my whole life."  After all that shit, she was essentially agreeing with the "boys will be boys" crowd.  Jesus. 

I could see Missy Hyatt saying something very similar to that, and she's someone who has went to court over sexual harassment and whom one has to ask "which sexual harassment event" in regards to how WCW execs treated her

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I could see Missy Hyatt saying something very similar to that, and she's someone who has went to court over sexual harassment and whom one has to ask "which sexual harassment event" in regards to how WCW execs treated her

I could be wrong, but wasnt it someone having an outtake of Missy being exposed posted in their office/cubicle? 

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I can't blame Terri for this.  If every woman goes to court for every time some dude harrasses them, our entire justice system would collapse because we don't have enough lawyers, judges, courtrooms, etc.  Seriously, I'm not a woman, but I have enough close female friends to know that this shit happens to almost all of them fairly regularly.  It's like racism.  I'm not saying every time someone claims racism, that it is credible, but as a black person I know that I don't have nearly enough free time to file some sort of complaint every time it comes up.  

Thanks for that and it’s a great point.  It’s funny because I was literally just discussing a very similar thing with my wife this morning, hours before I watched the show!   She said, “ I’m lucky in that I’ve never really experienced sexism at work.”   I told her “you have.  Just like a black guy who’s never been called the n word to his face has still experienced racism.  It’s baked into the system.”  Then we talked about all the bullshit ways women are expected to behave at work.

Is the charter company still in business? They deserve some shit here, too.  Telling these women who were sexually assaulted, “let it go because our clients expect discretion.”  Wow.  Fuck them.

Swing and a miss on my takes. I do hope Tommy Dreamer learns something and bounces back from this. What he said was fucked obviously.

The fallout with Flair is, well, who knows. He’ll either come out on the offensive, which he kind of did on Renee’s pod or have a PR issued apology and wait it out. 

BTW - if you’ve known a flight attendant you know that sexual harassment is baked into that job, sadly. That’s an industry wide problem.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

... Can you imagine whipping your dick out on a plane with your boss?  

Vince ain't your average boss.  He helped cover-up a murder.  A little cock twirling ain't no big thing to him.

• Like 10

I did not watch this yet. But out of the stuff floating around:

1) Vince and Linda were on this plane? I can’t believe the more insane stuff did not get out about this when she was running the SBA, which is a Cabinet level position. She had to get approved by Senate. I know the last president would not care one bit (and they bought her role in the government) but I can’t believe no one dug up a flight attendant to talk about this. You also really do not need to go in that deep for McMahon sleaze but somehow it never sticks with them. 

2) How many other plane rides like this have happened over the years that we do not know a thing about?

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

1) Vince and Linda were on this plane? I can’t believe the more insane stuff did not get out about this when she was running the SBA, which is a Cabinet level position. She had to get approved by Senate. I know the last president would not care one bit (and they bought her role in the government) but I can’t believe no one dug up a flight attendant to talk about this. You also really do not need to go in that deep for McMahon sleaze but somehow it never sticks with them. 

2) How many other plane rides like this have happened over the years that we do not know a thing about?

With the McMahons the controversies have piled up to the point where it’s like Mr. Burns’s disease door and nothing ever comes of them. Plus, even when wrestling is really hot culturally it’s held in contempt by the general public so the bar for acceptable behavior is extremely low. 

To your second point

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Coach has decided to weigh in. 

I don't see why he has a reason to lie about that, he's been going scorched earth on WWE the past few weeks. Talking about Undertaker physically assaulting him for not going on the original Tribute to the Troops tour, WWE bouncing a check to him during his last run, etc.

Vince AND Linda might not have been on the Flight From Hell, but Vince definitely was. And to @Greggulator's point, that might have been why it was never brought up in a smear campaign or whatever on Linda during the Trump years. Besides, y'know, it being wrestling and the public at large generally not caring about wrestling or what goes on in this world until something like Benoit or the steroid trial happens.

• Like 1

I do want to make it clear that I don’t think there is anything wrong with helicoptering in a Flair robe under consensual circumstances, like say your significant other buys you the robe at a Toys r Us closing sale and they’re into it (hypothetically of course.) I guess that sequined beauty is going in the musty hope chest with my Hulkamania Still Rules t-shirt and my Toothless Agression action figure.  

6 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I do want to make it clear that I don’t think there is anything wrong with helicoptering in a Flair robe under consensual circumstances, like say your significant other buys you the robe at a Toys r Us closing sale and they’re into it (hypothetically of course.) I guess that sequined beauty is going in the musty hope chest with my Hulkamania Still Rules t-shirt and my Toothless Agression action figure.  

I'm going to go ahead and assume if your significant other buys you a Ric Flair robe, she knows exactly who you are and she is expecting a dick helicoptering.  It's kind of like when I told my then significant other that I talked my work fantasy football league to put in $10 extra bucks to buy a fantasy championship belt.  I told her if I won, I'd expect some loving while wearing the belt...she looked at me, thought for a second and said, "I think I could manage that."  She knew she had a have sex in a championship belt type of man, and accepted it.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jesus, Jazz AND Jackie were on the flight and didn't shut down any of this or even speak on it. Wrestlers are weird. 

EDIT: MOLLY HOLLY, NICEST PERSON IN THE WORLD was on the flight and didn't do anything? How many drinks did Hennig spike?

FWIW given that Terri, a relatively low end "diva", was in the first class section with the bosses I think there is a decent likelihood that they knew enough to keep all of the ladies up there away from the boys.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Coach has decided to weigh in. 

I mean, unless Kurt Angle is talking about a different "Plane Ride from Hell". . .and it would certainly be some shit if there was actually more than one that got to be that infamous. . .he said that Vince himself tried to wrestle him a bunch of times over the span of about five hours.

So, like someone else said, Vince and Linda might not have been on the flight, but it seems like Vince damn sure was.

Kurt Angle wasn't on that European tour. He was a part of the roster that stayed behind in the states. He was working Edge in No DQ matches and tagging with Chris Jericho on occasion.

EDIT: He likely has his years mixed up, since in 2001 he was on the Insurrextion PPV from London. They didn't do a European tour around that PPV in 2001, it was just a two way flight, to London to work the PPV then back to the States.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I could be wrong, but wasnt it someone having an outtake of Missy being exposed posted in their office/cubicle? 

I believe it was someone posting a photo of her top coming down when she was on the apron and had a wardrobe malfunction. I think it got circulated around the locker room IIRC. 

Re: Taker being potential peacemaker

If you wanna believe a guy like Patrice O'Neal who wrote for the company around that time, folks like Taker, Triple H, and The Rock flew with Vince on his private plane and whatnot. They typically didn't hang out with the other guys when they were traveling. So whoever said Taker was back there with Vince is probably on the money. Add in the fact we're talking about a bunch of guys who were under the influence to say the least. There isn't much anyone can do but wait until you land. Something tells me the lack of conflict resolution skills would only lead to another physical altercation.

IMO Based on some of the behaviors discussed in the episode, I think this was a tip of the iceberg type scenario where past flights before that were a sign of things to come. If you go just some months prior, we're talking about travel prior to 9/11. You could get away shit you definitely couldn't get away with now. I could see the top guys not wanting to deal with that and hanging back with Vince, eating finger sandwiches and steak wraps, and listening to music on their CD player not having a care in the world.

16 hours ago, Technico Support said:

[...] 

There's definitely some weird moral relativism going on in wrestling.  Christ, even Terri said something like, "if I went to court every time I was harassed, I'd be in court my whole life."  After all that shit, she was essentially agreeing with the "boys will be boys" crowd.  Jesus. 

"I wouldn't say he was trying to rape somebody."  Dreamer is a fucking idiot.  Ric Flair forced a woman to touch his dick.  That is sexual assault.  Full stop.

I do not think two, three 150 (at most) pound women not confronting 250-300 pound jacked up, aggressive dudes has something to do with moral relativism. I'm a fairly bulky dude who works out and has some basic fighting down, but even Flair is taller and heavier than me.

Jackie and Jazz are tough and Molly is by all accounts a nice person, but this isn't a Marvel or DC movie and it probably would have gotten worse if any off would have tried to intervene. Plus there is a chaotic scene and a probability of them not registering a situation like that. I think it's weird to expect them to step up. 

I expected this to be a kooky, crazy but light hearted episode. The indecent exposure by Flair on the flight is something I never found all that funny, but I thought off it more as a "He went out and forgot about the non wrestling flight attendends". Still not good, but this shit is so much worse. 

Dreamer came across like a major idiot and showed no empathy whatsoever. Attempting to downplay some of the actions, the dumb line regarding the settlement, getting cute with the hairstyle thing...not sure what was asked, but yeesh.

Chioda, to me, came across more like a clueless sidekick than anything, still missing the point by a country mile, yet not as bad as Dreamer. 

Edited by ReiseReise
A few typos, like turning women into weapon

One thing i found odd is the first class attendants not knowing how crazy it was in the back. If one of the pilots had to come out and calm things down and Dustin had commandeered the PA for a time, wouldnt the crew in first class have noticed and or been told? 

id be interested in seeing a list of the timeline of wrestler incidents on commercial flights. Neidhart and Chris Adams were before this, but when was Regal’s incident in relation to this story?