DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Even JR at the end of that was like "How did Flair get away with nothing after all that".  

Also as awful as the Ric Flair thing, the scott Hall is way way worse in my opinion.  You got a drugged up irrational guy threatening all sorts of kinky shit.  I would like to think Ric would know the limit.  Scott at that point had no control over himself

The other question I had from this is how in the world did Terri Runnels in 2002 get to sit next to Vince and JR.  She was hardly the top diva on the roster at the time.  I am guessing they they knew it would be horrible for her and hoped that would protect her.  Nope.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3

Carshield is gonna cut back on Ric Flair commercials and replace them with more Ice T/Mr. Biggs commercials. Fortunately Carshield didn't get Afrika Bambaataa into any commercials.

But yeah, Tommy is trying to make the distinction between flashing your penis at women and being a rape predator, and I suspect that point isn't gonna exactly work for him.

• Haha 2

You gotta take in mind Terri had just divorced Dustin, they were on the same flight, and Dustin was hammered. If they DIDN'T keep her up front then they'd be pretty much criminally negligent. She said Paul E. was up there and he probably saw to it if they didn't. 

Just to agree, boy did Tommy put his foot in his mouth. The flight attendant said some pretty poignant things more than once thus making him look even more tone-deaf.

EDIT: Bucks being in the Kanyon episode is weird, I wonder what their connection to him is. And hey, we got Father James!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

You gotta take in mind Terry had just divorced Dustin, they were on the same flight, and Dustin was hammered.

They had divorced in 1999, and this was before Dustin's shortlived 2002-2003 marriage to another woman. But yeah, Dustin was fucked up on various things for most of 15 years from the late 90s to the late 2000s (at least). He was more of a Kirk Van Houten in this story compared to other people.

But yeah, Flair had more potential to make them money than the people they released due to the flight, and some of the most powerful people in the company either liked him or were about to work with him. Curt Hennig, who worked a Rumble cameo into a regular spot, wasn't gonna stick around by pissing people off in a company that already had a bunch of people.

Waltman's last few years in the company weren't very good before that

But the NWO falling apart pretty quickly between Nash's injuries, Hall being Hall, and Hogan figuring out a way to become a babyface again, and then Waltman becoming part of an obviously doomed NWO.. yeah, how could one tell if he was being punished around that time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

After looking at the Insurrexion PPV card I have a big question: Undertaker was headlining with HHH on that show. So Undertaker, renowned locker room leader, wasn't called upon by JR to try and help calm down these motherfuckers? Or was he knee deep in it too? 

I was thinking about his quote on comparing generations of locker rooms....

• Like 2

well, at least DSOTR didn't mix up the plane rides like the WWE did with their claim that the Kurt Angle/Mr. McMahon wrestling match happened on this plane ride (when it happened in 2001, Angle wasn't on the 2002 tour)

I'm guessing Undertaker was in the Vince area of the plane, or wherever he was, he was sleeping it off undisturbed

Out of the Insurrextion card, here's how it breaks down

Starting stuff: Mr. Perfect, Goldust (kinda), Ric Flair, Michael Hayes

Responding to stuff: Brock Lesnar, Terri Runnels, Bradshaw, X-Pac

Trying to break it up: Triple H, Paul Heyman

Asleep: Scott Hall

Interviewed in the episode: Rob Van Dam, Justin Credible

Torching his reputation: Tommy Dreamer

Not mentioned: Undertaker, Stone Cold, Big Show, Spike Dudley, William Regal, The Hardyz, Booker T, Steven Richards, Crash Holly, Jacqueline, Trish Stratus, Jazz, Molly Holly, Eddie Guerrero, Kevin Nash.

The Smackdown card on May 4th in Fort Lauderdale had a main event of Hogan/Rock vs Angle/Jericho. So those 4 lucked out for not being in the vicinity of the European tour

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You gotta take in mind Terri had just divorced Dustin, they were on the same flight, and Dustin was hammered. If they DIDN'T keep her up front then they'd be pretty much criminally negligent. She said Paul E. was up there and he probably saw to it if they didn't. 

Just to agree, boy did Tommy put his foot in his mouth. The flight attendant said some pretty poignant things more than once thus making him look even more tone-deaf.

EDIT: Bucks being in the Kanyon episode is weird, I wonder what their connection to him is. And hey, we got Father James!

Kanyon did Challenge Joey Ryan for the PWG Championship at the Astonishing X-Mas 2005 show. So, he might have been part of the Calif Indy scene at the time with the Bucks. 

• Like 1

The Young Bucks were supposedly one of the few people Kanyon came out to in private before he went public with his sexuality, and in their book they talk about him a little. How they booked him in their (to steal a EWR bit) "backyard to small" indie promotion, and he also apparently admitted to Matt Jackson that he was attracted to them but Matt told Kanyon that he was "exclusive to vagina".

• Like 4

I actually caught this episode on Youtube and have to agree it was way worse than it has been made out to be in the past. This was "'80s rockstars at their darkest" type shit, but in 2002. Drugs, depression, sexual harassment, general shit-headery. Tommy Dreamer is a 50 year old man who's been in the business for over 2 decades and is still the biggest mark going for his hero-worship defence of Flair in this episode.

Sean Waltman and RVD went up big time though.

• Like 5

It is kind of funny that RVD was one the most reasonable one in this piece and yet his persona right now is this pot guy having crazy sex parties with all of his "friends".  But at least RVD knows that his world isn't the real world.  Things most wrestlers haven't figured out

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

And if this story was as consentual as Flair made it out to be on Story Time, he may have mistakenly gotten into his head because of it that this was an acceptable pattern of behaviour in every flight, ever, from that point forward.

• Like 1