DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

On 6/26/2021 at 3:41 PM, Peck said:

You know what?  This is a tough one for me. I think of myself as an average-looking guy at best. Not terrible-looking by any means but not a member of the Stud Stable either. If I had good looks and had attractive women throwing themselves all over me on a constant basis it would be tough to tell them no. Even if I was married(which was probably his biggest "mistake" with his lifestyle). I guess I'm saying I can see why Pillman was the way he was. Does that make me a terrible person? Quite possibly. 

i'm not trying to single you out, @Peck but your post seemed the best jumping off point.

Rock Stars are notorious for sleeping with groupies. Lots of rock stars are married. sometimes they marry a woman who WAS a groupie. how does that work? the wife HAS to know what's happening out on the road. she either ignores it or gets swallowed by it. 

i suspect the same "agreement" must be in place for some of these wrestlers' wives. especially pre 2000 where the travel was even more grueling. this is not to excuse any behavior, and i agree with @Eoaethat you shouldn't be in a marriage and actively harm it or your spouse/family. i dunno, i've always been curious on how someone could marry a person notorious for infidelity. just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Edited by twiztor
formatting for new page. grrr...

34 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i'm not trying to single you out, @Peck but your post seemed the best jumping off point.

Rock Stars are notorious for sleeping with groupies. Lots of rock stars are married. sometimes they marry a woman who WAS a groupie. how does that work? the wife HAS to know what's happening out on the road. she either ignores it or gets swallowed by it. 

i suspect the same "agreement" must be in place for some of these wrestlers' wives. especially pre 2000 where the travel was even more grueling. this is not to excuse any behavior, and i agree with @Eoaethat you shouldn't be in a marriage and actively harm it or your spouse/family. i dunno, i've always been curious on how someone could marry a person notorious for infidelity. just seems like a recipe for disaster.

In Zodiac Mindwarp's autobiography, he explains that you don't take your Wife on tour because that gives all of your Rock Star friends who aren't touring to have sex with her. And so when you're at home and your friends are on tour, it's only polite to have sex with their wives as well.

15 hours ago, twiztor said:

i dunno, i've always been curious on how someone could marry a person notorious for infidelity. just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I think the phrase "It's still real to me, dammit" applies here.  People see what they want to see, especially in relationships.  The new spouse/significant other believes that it won't happen to him/her, the other person has matured, they'll be enough for their loved one, the old spouse was toxic and deserved to be cheated on, etc.  Hope springs eternal, as they say.  I've not been around a lot of serial cheaters - most of my divorced friends' marriages broke up for fairly mundane reasons - but the few times I have gotten a little insight into that scene, my general impression was that normally smart people were ignoring obvious signs of trouble and doing dumb things to prolong the relationship.

I have known one serial adulterer.  My sister-in-law's husband's father was a serial cheater who got away with it for 30 years.  It was pathetic.  The guy had several girlfriends he slept with casually, plus a long-term mistress he kept in a condo on the other end of the state. Basically, everyone in the county they lived in knew he was cheating except the wife, but no one told her (including their kids, who knew about the affairs but kept their dad's secret).

Wife wasn't an idiot but she believed some idiotic stories to keep from getting caught.   Early on in their marriage, the husband did a tour overseas (he was in the military back then).  Came home with an STD.  Somehow convinced his wife he caught it through something other than sexual contact.  When they finally got divorced decades later, the wife found out he had an illegitimate Japanese son.

Their marriage finally did implode after 30 years of marriage and most of his secrets (there were a lot of them) came out, but it shouldn't have taken nearly that long.  Funny thing was, I didn't think the guy was attractive or charismatic - far from it - but he had no problem attracting women.  He reminded me a lot of Carla's ex-husband on Cheer's, who was presented as a ladies man even though he was kind basically a troll.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Habitually late to the party as I am, I finally caught quite a few of these on Sling before my cheap month of service expired.  The first season was interesting and largely full of stories I hadn't bothered to learn about, aside from Montreal.  Made it through the Benoit ones this afternoon, and don't think I can watch anymore.  Just reminded me of all the reasons I quit giving a shit about this kind of stuff.  Someone else made a comment in the first few pages of "I don't want to be That Guy who shat on wrestling because it destroyed people's lives"...nah, fine with being That Guy over here. 

The Eddy bits were as bad as anything else; I don't know if anyone else recalls a guy named Chad Smith from the tOA boards - posted as "otherChad" as a joke about the Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer - but he saw a lot of personal tragedy that was adjacent to Eddy's death, and being reminded of losing one was like being reminded of losing both.  But probably the only person who even knew who I'm talking about was OSJ, and now he's gone, too...

I finally got my Criterion edition of The Silence of the Lambs today, and frankly that's going to be the least fucked-up thing I watch today.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got lucky -- Sling DVR'd it as part of the Dark Side series.

One fun fact from the show that I didn't know: Jerry McDevitt was introduced to the WWF when he was hired by Jim Neidhart.  I always assumed McDevitt was just always their in-house counsel, who'd defend the company and wrestlers when needed.  Neidhart hired him as his defender after too many drinks/drugs on a plane led to acting out, which led to some rough federal charges.  What's funny is that I remember that story being covered in PWI, which is really weird for that time.

Also, McDevitt isn't their in-house counsel.  He works for a law firm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You also have to wonder if it contributed to Nick Khan/Vince wanting to let him go and not be on the payroll when the show dropped. Not the main reason, but a reason. 

I think the bigger tell is Tony Khan not featuring Ric on TV at all, even after the Andrade angle in Mexico.

There was an interview with the DSotR creators or producers or whoever from months and months ago - the link is probably somewhere in this thread - and they're talking about how the Plane Ride episode was by far the "worst" thing they've ever had to put together, and how it made the whole team a bunch of anxious wrecks. Now obviously somebody isn't going to do an interview where they call that incident worse than Benoit or Grizzly Smith or whatever, and I don't think that's what they're saying, but the tone was definitely one of grief. I think they think this one is the "worst" episode because there is no way to tell this story without bringing significant attention to the fact that Ric Flair sexually assaulted multiple flight attendants, and that the people who put together DSotR are actually bothered by the fact that this is going to maim the legacy of and bring significant controversy to their still-living, still culturally relevant pro wrestling hero. 

I think WWE realized this was going to be the case at least as soon as that interview aired, or possibly since the episode itself was announced. I think AEW realized this was going to be the case. Everything that has or hasn't happened with Ric since follows that scenario.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

A ton of people are shitting on Tommy Dreamer for basically denying that Ric Flair sexually harassed the flight attendant.  While it was really bad, you have to realize that after every ECW Arena show at that airport in Philly he probably was witness to a felony or two every single time.  Trying to get a woman to touch a dick is probably child's play compared to some of that shit

• Like 1

Personally, I don;t believe either Vince or Tony Khan are influenced by Vice TV as it regards Ric or any other subject.  I think some of you are way overestimating the reach and impact of Dark Side.

I haven't seen the Plane Ride from Hell.  I guess it aired?

I was almost going to give Tommy a pass but that "well she shouldn't have taken a payout" line really was the nail in his coffin

I don't think Vince gives a shit but I am sure Tony realizes how bad it would look if Ric Flair just started to appear.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

Just now, hammerva said:

I was almost going to give Tommy a pass but that "well she shouldn't have taken a payout" line really was the nail in his coffin

I am a huge Dreamer fan and he's just about the nicest guy I have ever met but yeah, he did himself no favors with this.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 10:06 AM, Eoae said:

I think the phrase "It's still real to me, dammit" applies here.  People see what they want to see, especially in relationships.  The new spouse/significant other believes that it won't happen to him/her, the other person has matured, they'll be enough for their loved one, the old spouse was toxic and deserved to be cheated on, etc.  Hope springs eternal, as they say.  I've not been around a lot of serial cheaters - most of my divorced friends' marriages broke up for fairly mundane reasons - but the few times I have gotten a little insight into that scene, my general impression was that normally smart people were ignoring obvious signs of trouble and doing dumb things to prolong the relationship.

I have known one serial adulterer.  My sister-in-law's husband's father was a serial cheater who got away with it for 30 years.  It was pathetic.  The guy had several girlfriends he slept with casually, plus a long-term mistress he kept in a condo on the other end of the state. Basically, everyone in the county they lived in knew he was cheating except the wife, but no one told her (including their kids, who knew about the affairs but kept their dad's secret).

Wife wasn't an idiot but she believed some idiotic stories to keep from getting caught.   Early on in their marriage, the husband did a tour overseas (he was in the military back then).  Came home with an STD.  Somehow convinced his wife he caught it through something other than sexual contact.  When they finally got divorced decades later, the wife found out he had an illegitimate Japanese son.

Their marriage finally did implode after 30 years of marriage and most of his secrets (there were a lot of them) came out, but it shouldn't have taken nearly that long.  Funny thing was, I didn't think the guy was attractive or charismatic - far from it - but he had no problem attracting women.  He reminded me a lot of Carla's ex-husband on Cheer's, who was presented as a ladies man even though he was kind basically a troll.

LMAO!! Are you referring to Carla's Ex husband Nick?!!  I just watched the episode on Hulu this morning where he showed up to the daughter (Leah Remini) wedding.  He was fucking hilarious when he would talk it was like a scream every time. I think he played hockey on the show too. 

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Then they went back tom and he compared being offended at Ric Flair helicoptering his dick to being offended over his hair. Please fucking stop Tommy!

Like if they went back to him again, he would start making fun of people's gender identities or something to make more people mad at him.

What if Raven was always in the right in the Raven/Dreamer feud?

• Like 1