DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

15 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I have no clue about Flair and Scorp but Teddy Long has accused Flair of being racist before so maybe it was something to do with that. As far as I can tell, Flair makes poor choices but outside of Teddy, I haven't heard of anyone else calling him racist.

Didn't Meltz basically confirm this by trying to explain in discussing Long's claims that people used that sort of racist language in the locker room all the time, and that was just how it was?

28 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Didn't Meltz basically confirm this by trying to explain in discussing Long's claims that people used that sort of racist language in the locker room all the time, and that was just how it was?

I saw a clip of Austin's latest Broken Skull Sessions where Godfaher said Ron Simmons straight up told him not to go to WCW because this is exactly how the locker room was, intentionally racist or not. Simmons knew Godfather wouldn't hold the job for long because that was not shit he would be able to tolerate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 8:43 PM, cwoy2j said:

And from other accounts, he slapped Jacques in the back of the head and then went straight up with Jacques right after and took him down. None of us were there so that's all second hand.

It was dramatized on the show as worse than that.  It seemed like Dynamite really nailed him in the back of the head, hard enough to knock him out of his chair, then went after him while he was down and dazed.  If that's how it happened, it's far from the way you're characterizing it, like he gave him a smack to get his attention and then squared up like Marquis of Queensbury or some shit.  The way the episode portrayed it was definitely more in line with Billington's character as a person, being a cowardly, sadistic bully.  But you're right, it's all second hand. 

Considering Billington's reputation as a bully who absolutely went after those who couldn't fight, and even then, went at it in a cheap way, then I'd say all bets are off as far as retaliation goes.  To paraphrase Vincent Vega, Dynamite didn't expect Jacques to react like he did, but he had to expect a reaction.  Come on, there are no rules to that shit.  On one hand, you have a  guy who is not a fighter and on the other, you have a fucking lunatic.  Once a bully finds someone they know won't fight back, they won't stop.  And stop with the "Jacques went too far scaring Billington's family" stuff.   If Billington was concerned about his family, he shouldn't have been pulling this kind of shit at his place of business.  That's on him.  You never know who you're fucking with, so just don't fuck with people.  His family is lucky Billington just got scared into moving.  Another bullying victim may have just killed him. 

All that is not to say I romanticize that culture.  Quite the opposite.  Undertaker is an asshole for pining for the old days and calling today's wrestlers softer or whatever that dumb hillbilly said.  If wrestling wasn't so full of "tough, hard men"  who were ready to "handle their business" with guns or knives, maybe Bruiser Brody would still be alive.  Dynamite should have been fired the very first time he pulled that shit. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

So the real monster in the whole Jacques/Dynamite kerfuffle is Curt Henning!  ?

Seriously, thought, it's really indicative of what a toxic culture we used to have in wrestling where telling a few lies that ends up with two guys beating the fuck out of each other, alleged fake mafia threats, plans of ever-escalating retaliation, a dental bill, a whole family moving to a new home, and two guys quitting the company, is considered "a good rib."  What a bunch of fucking sociopaths.  All this talk of manliness, machismo, stuff you "can't let slide" and whatever, Henning should have been a stand up guy from the start and squashed the whole thing by telling Dynamite that he was ribbing them all and that it was a mistake.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, cwoy2j said:

Really the whole thing could've been avoided if Hennig didn't act like a jerk and owned up to the prank.

Yeah, Curt came off like a real shit-disturber. A prank ruined two people's careers. I know everybody loves him and all but all the stuff I've heard over the years makes him seem like the dark Owen Hart -- Owen would tie your shoelaces together where Curt would cut up you clothes for no reason.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, Curt came off like a real shit-disturber. A prank ruined two people's careers. I know everybody loves him and all but all the stuff I've heard over the years makes him seem like the dark Owen Hart -- Owen would tie your shoelaces together where Curt would cut up you clothes for no reason.

Funny you mention that because I keep thinking about the Owen/Ahmed Johnson prank.  Owen called Ahmed claiming to be a producer from The Tonight Show, told Ahmed they wanted him on the show, and said they'd be there at 4pm with a limo to pick him up.  So Ahmed bought a new suit, new watch, new shoes, the whole deal, and waited outside.  Only to be met, a long time after 4, by Owen and Davey laughing at him.  That is so unbelievably cruel.  We all give Owen a pass because he was a great worker and, by all accounts, a genuinely nice guy, and I supposed we don't care because the target of the rib was a poor worker who injured a few people.  But this is a human being who was fooled into thinking he was getting some sort of break, and also tricked into spending a bunch of money, just so some assholes could laugh at him.  That is so fucked up.

• Sad 4

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah. Even Bret was an extremely unfaithful husband. 

In his book, he said that back then he attempted to rationalize it to himself that at least he wasn't getting hammered every night like Neidhart or doing tons of drugs like the Bulldogs. He said it was basically his way to cope with being on the road constantly without turning to even more destructive habits. I think he said something like, "I always felt guilty but my lust and my weakness were always stronger in the moment."

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, PetrolCB said:

Well, they didn't call him the Excellence of Sexecution for nothing.

I remember Mark Madden using "The Sexecutioner" as a play on "Big Sexy" for Kevin Nash every now and then.

On 6/16/2021 at 4:45 AM, cwoy2j said:

In his book, he said that back then he attempted to rationalize it to himself that at least he wasn't getting hammered every night like Neidhart or doing tons of drugs like the Bulldogs. He said it was basically his way to cope with being on the road constantly without turning to even more destructive habits. I think he said something like, "I always felt guilty but my lust and my weakness were always stronger in the moment."

The best is how he described beng bathed in a woman's anatomy. 

• Like 1

I'm gobsmacked. The Chyna doc might be the hardest one to watch by far. 

It's collected from this Frankenstein of footage -- original interviews, old interviews, cell phone footage, and this cursed documentary her insane manager, her drugged out director, and who seems like an understanding and cut-out producer made of her that comprises a lot of it... up to them walking in the room where she is laying there dead.

Just the saddest thing ever.

This movie made me like Vince Russo for the first time in my life, too. He legitimately cared for Joanie and incredibly, understood her. 

Also, for those wondering (and I know some of you are), they talk about her time in Japan up to a clip of Inoki and a positive interview with Chono who seemed to understand her pressures -- along with the footage of him kicking the shit out of her. 

And X-Pac says he snuck coke and meth into the country for the both of them too