DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

On 5/23/2020 at 1:49 AM, Hagan said:

Started watching The Wrestlers doc and the episode on Voodoo Wrestling in the Congo is amazingly interesting

Witch catch!  Fucking amazing episode.  They had the fans believing so hard they hired the workers to cast spells for them IRL.  Now that is some true carny shit.

I just watched an AAW show and saw Damien Abraham at ringside and thought of The Wrestlers.  I hope it was renewed.  I like it better than Dark Side.  Just more fun and hopeful instead of dreary and cynical.  

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Witch catch!  Fucking amazing episode.  They had the fans believing so hard they hired the workers to cast spells for them IRL.  Now that is some true carny shit.

I just watched an AAW show and saw Damien Abraham at ringside and thought of The Wrestlers.  I hope it was renewed.  I like it better than Dark Side.  Just more fun and hopeful instead of dreary and cynical.  

The subject matter of Dark Side is, well, dark, but I would not call the show cynical. If anything, the big success of that show for me is that it finds that glimmer of hope and humanity in its dark subjects. 

• Like 4

I’m a little late to this party but I hope this comes out on a DVD set 1 day. I don’t even know what Vice TV is lol!

WCW quit sending Sting down from the rafters out of respect for Owen and whoever might not have appreciated them continuing that spot after it hurt Owen. I remember the spot coming back regularly during 1 of Sting’s return runs after he’d all but quit in 1998.

How accurate was the Road Warriors story? They’re second only to Hogan in the amount of lies they tell and the free passes they get.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

See, I was doing the legal thing and watching DSotR on TV. But then suddenly it stopped recording them after the Dino Bravo episode, so I assumed they'd been pre-empted and would be along in a few weeks or something. But that wasn't it, oh no. They removed the whole entire channel from cable (I think it's still on Sky). Should have just been bootlegging all along, I guess.

• Sad 1

The best part about the Dino Bravo episode, was that Rick Martel refused to talk about the sketchyness of the murder, so the producers just used clips from his shoot.

He must've been shitting himself when he found out they aired it.

• Like 1

Every time this thread is resurrected, I hope it's someone coming to post that "The Wrestlers" has been renewed.  I need more stories of positivity to outweigh the murders, overdoses, accidental deaths, and other sad shit.

And WITCH CATCH!

I still remember the episode on indy touring in the First Nations territories in Canada.  There was a sad yet hilarious line when the young native worker borrowed some change from the (white) promoter.  The exchange went something like:

Promoter: when are you going to pay me back?

Worker: I already did!

Promoter: with what?

Worker: MY LANDS!  (laughs)

It was really educational as I honestly had no idea that  the Canadian colonists treated their original inhabitants as badly as we did here in the states.

Edited by Technico Support

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Cornette talking politics or religion is a hard pass. Cornette staying focused on wrestling history is very informative.

Between his knowledge and his ability to entertainingly run his mouth, he's the best wrestling historian to listen to ever.

He's also a fucking asshole.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Although the official renewal and release of the third side of ViceTV's Dark Side of the Ring has yet to be announced, interviews are underway for a planned third season.

PWInsider.com can confirm that interviews were conducted with  Smith family for a planned episode on the late Grizzly Smith and his children, Jake Roberts, Rockin' Robin and Sam Houston,

Eric Bischoff, on his 83 Weeks podcast, revealed that he shot interviews related to episodes on the late Brian Pillman and the WCW-New Japan event in North Korea.  The North Korea episode had been one of the primary topics Dark Side creators Evan Hunsey and Jason Eisner had wanted to produce for the third season.

https://pwinsider.com/article/140386/dark-side-of-the-ring-shooting-season-three-spoilers-on-three-planned-topics.html?p=1

• Like 1

I didn't know that Grizzly had a wrestling family. Didn't even know who Rockin' Robin and Sam Houston were, honestly. That is gonna be one fucked up episode.

EDIT: Just thought, they gotta do the Bulldogs this season. They did Montreal and Owen and now Pillman, they gotta do the Bulldogs. That and maybe an Anvil episode (yes, he did plenty of stuff to deserve it -- remember the reports of him "screaming and vomiting" at a gas station?) would cover the whole Hart Foundation.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

SI did that oral history of WCW's trip to NK that I thought was amazing (click here if you've never read it or want to read it again). 

IDK how much more an episode about that can add to this. It'll be good for people who never read the oral history, but for me personally, it's probably not going to be an episode that I need to see. 

• Like 1

Instead of an episode dedicated entirely to the North Korea events, I rather them go the route of the Brawl For All episode where they cover multiple topics. Like, there's a wealth of fucked up puroresu stories you can draw on. Between the yakuza's involvement with Rikidozan/FMW/NOAH, etc, Hiromitsu Gompei, a vast wealth of carnie stories about Inoki and Onita, etc... I mean, I'd watch the fuck out of a Dark Side of the Ring: Japan Special or whatever. You could talk about less "dark" stories in the scene too, like the All Japan split (which could lead into the NOAH yakuza bit) and eventually touch on Misawa's in-ring death. 

The interviews might be few and far between, though. Virtually nobody is going to speak on the yakuza's involvement in the wrestling scene over there, maybe some foreign talent, but even then... they've always went the route of interviewing people close to the topics, so.

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It'll be fun to see how they dramatize it, because you know they don't have the budget to make a fake North Korea. 

Just buy the rights to this and expand it with 20 minutes or so of talking head interviews with Bischoff, Norton et al.

• Like 1