DVDVR Message Board

Which of these movies belongs in the 2019 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

S.K.o.S.

Which of these movies belongs in the 2019 Summer Blockbuster Pool?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these movies belongs in the 2019 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

• The Hustle (May 7; Anne Hathaway, Rebel Wilson)
    • Ad Astra (May 24; Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones)
    • Brightburn (May 24; Elizabeth Banks, David Denman)
    • Rocketman (May 31; Taron Egerton, Bryce Dallas Howard)
    • Anna (Jun 21; Sasha Luss, Helen Mirren, d: Luc Besson)
    • Child's Play (Jun 21; Aubrey Plaza, Mark Hamill)
    • Yesterday (Jun 28; Lily James, Ana de Armas, d: Danny Boyle)
    • Midsommar (Jul 3; Florence Pugh, Will Poulter)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/21/2019 at 11:00 PM

Copy & pasting from prior years:

If you're new here, we run this pool where I put up a list of 20 movies coming out this summer, and people rank them based on predicted box office take and critical reception.

In the past, I've missed putting some movies on the list that should've been there (e.g. Bridesmaids) and put some movies on the list that should not have been there (e.g. My Life In Ruins).  So for the past few years, the selection of the borderline movies has been up to you.

I already have 18 movies selected.  I'm looking to fill the last 2 spots.  The top 2 vote-getters in this poll will be included in this year's pool.

You basically want to vote for the movie that you think will end up having the most people talking about it.  Like, the kind of movie that if it wasn't on the list, we'd be thinking "Oh man, how did we miss that one?"

Poll closes April 21st (if I did everything correctly)

The movie choices continue to spiral out of control as I become increasingly old and out of touch.

Why is there a Brad Pitt summer movie that I hadn't heard of at all before now?  Is Brad Pitt even a box office draw any more?  Argh!

Given the commercial success of Bohemian Rhapsody, I can't imagine leaving off Rocketman.  

OTOH, if I really wanted to read more pages of overreaction and self-loathing, I suppose I could have voted for just about any other choice and watched you guys bemoan your selections as...whatever...ends up ruining your overall standing.

Regardless, this will be funny to me and a reminder why I'm generally a non-participatory mammal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

OTOH, if I really wanted to read more pages of overreaction and self-loathing, I suppose I could have voted for just about any other choice and watched you guys bemoan your selections as...whatever...ends up ruining your overall standing.

ROCKETMAN seems like the most obvious answer.  I think the Queen movie teed things up nicely for it to be a decent success as an adult alternative to the usual summer fare.

The summer horror field looks packed this year, so I'm not sure if any one of them will really break out.  The CHILD'S PLAY reboot opening opposite TOY STORY 4 is a hilarious bit of counterprogramming that will also probably kill its box office dead.

Edited by EVA

4 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I wanna know the other movies involved that 2 out of 3 of Rocketman, Child’s Play, and Brightburn aren’t invited though.

There will be a few that you could argue shouldn't be on there over those three.  It's not always all that clear-cut... and sometimes I'm just wrong.

There's definitely one on the pool list that is in there just for my own amusement.

3 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

There's definitely one on the pool list that is in there just for my own amusement.

Is it set in Hawaii and directed by Cameron Crowe?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Man, Brightburn isn’t gonna be included at this rate, and that’s a bummer since that feels like the most intriguing one on the list for me personally.

Brightburn will be one of those movies that either makes or breaks a list.  

I'm going to go see it because it looks interesting and I love horror anyway, but I am sorta happy it will probably not make the balloting.

I just have a bad feeling that Rocket Man will end up being this year's Christopher Robin, so I will most likely avoid placing it on my list if it makes it to the final balloting.

Edited by J.T.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, J.T. said:

Brightburn will be one of those movies that either makes or breaks a list.  

I'm going to go see it because it looks interesting and I love horror anyway, but I am sorta happy it will probably not make the balloting.

I just have a bad feeling that Rocket Man will end up being this year's Christopher Robin, so I will most likely avoid placing it on my list if it makes it to the final balloting.

No offense to Elton John, but he's not Freddie Mercury. Plus there's a big difference between cleaning up in the winter/holiday season with reduced competition and the summer. Just ask Solo. 

I am assuming that basically people will have less than 48 hours to submit ballots if wanting to include End Game

I really should try to figure out the 20 movies