DVDVR Message Board

The Wong Fei-hung Kung Fu Movie Review pre-thread

Execproducer

3 hours ago, nate said:

This is the cursed theme, eh?

Not that unusual for shifting deadlines. I won't let it go too long though. It might mean we won't have daily posts once we start, which is what I usually strive for. 

38 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Not that unusual for shifting deadlines. I won't let it go too long though. It might mean we won't have daily posts once we start, which is what I usually strive for. 

Do what you can do, bruh.  No pressure.  ?

OK, I want to give the four individuals who haven't finished yet more time so not going to start this weekend. The following week I have an extra day off and I don't want to go three days without posting something, so the absolute, set-in-stone, no-bullshit, official  start date will be Thursday, June 13th.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:11 AM, RIPPA said:

However - I really wish we had a counter of how much actual Kung Fu was in all the movies selected

Spoiler

Yeah, your's leans more towards the Gun-Fu/GwG  genres but there is enough punch kick to justify it's inclusion. It's important because it's one of the two films that would lead to so much insane greatness after its star retired and everyone wanted to copy the formula. 

*Spoilered because I drop enough hints to figure out what the film is if you want to wait until the review is posted.

Edited by Execproducer

The original deadline was April 27th, and the final one is June 13th? If execproducer worked in education, he'd be everyone's favourite teacher.

Both Halloween Havoc and Black History Month were unaffected by deadline creep. Maybe if we keep doing these we need to put months in the title. August Horse Opera or September Swashbuckler. March vs Kaiju. April Apocalypse.

Edited by AxB

The DVDTalk forums do monthly movie themes, but I can't even begin to guess what kind of person participates in those, because it's typically "binge as many movies of this type during the month".

4 hours ago, AxB said:

The original deadline was April 27th, and the final one is June 13th? If execproducer worked in education, he'd be everyone's favourite teacher.

Both Halloween Havoc and Black History Month were unaffected by deadline creep. Maybe if we keep doing these we need to put months in the title. August Horse Opera or September Swashbuckler. March vs Kaiju. April Apocalypse.

I won't take this personally because you said I'd be everyone's favorite teacher. ? The original deadline you are referring to was April 28th and it was for film picks, not reviews. Ideally, everyone gets their picks in on time, I get a day or two to throw everything in a randomizer and send films out to you, and then everyone gets a generous three weeks to review your film and get it in to me, as well as doing any bonus material if you so desired..  This not being a holiday theme, there was some flexibility with when it could start and end, but I made it clear that I wanted to run the review around the last week of May because I had time off. But two issues have arisen to thwart the overall success of this venture. One, my computer decided to end our relationship. Without the other issue that means we would have been about 3/4 of the way through the review when I would have announced the problem, apologized, and finished up when I returned to work.  That means tonight's post would likely have been the wrap-up instead of being a response to you.  

The other issue is the bigger problem. As I'm sure @Brian Fowler will attest, if you waited for every review before you began, you never would. I have run two of these already and they both went smoothly. I don't take complete credit for that. HH is an institution around here and the Christmas Chaos was a tribute to a departed board member, so people were motivated . But they both began short of every review. I've only had one person, after demanding to throw in a pick a week late, who failed to complete a review. Something about being in court blah blah whatever.  Starting without a review or three is normal. Starting without half is a non-starter. About 3 or 4 days out from the deadline, we were still short 6 reviews. I posted that I would extend a few days and I had a request to add another since it was the holiday weekend. Since then, I've had two more turned in. I'm not going to call out the four left. Most of them have already posted their various reasons for being late anyway. Ranging from concerned parents (understandable) to having writer's block (I feel ya!). Someone even said they were actually done days after getting their film, but wanted to polish it up!  But unlike your favorite teacher...or @RIPPA... I do not have any sanctions available to punish stragglers. I can't send anyone to Movie Review Summer School, where you would be forced to wax eloquent on the films of Jørgen Leth, Wong Jing, and Michael Bay if you wanted to move on to the next HH.  Actually I'd enjoy that, but most probably wouldn't. 

I get your frustration. You were in early, and with your bonus stuff, often. But all things considered, it isn't that bad of a delay. June 13th isn't a final deadline. It's a start date. We'll start even if I have to do the other reviews myself. 

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

I am part of the problem on this one as I decided to rewatch my movie this weekend to make sure I didn't miss any of the rat crap craziness

If you wanted to send me a review or two - I can post them on those days just so the gap isn't as big.

BTW - my review is in which everyone will hate but I genuinely hadn't been that excited about a movie in awhile

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If you wanted to send me a review or two - I can post them on those days just so the gap isn't as big.

BTW - my review is in which everyone will hate but I genuinely hadn't been that excited about a movie in awhile

Ok. We’ll start Thursday. I’ll attempt to prep a couple Sunday night if I’m not too busy at work and send them to you.

I have submitted the bonus review for Drive (1997) as promised.  I will get that other thing we talked about to you as soon as possible.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

A reminder that we will be starting tomorrow. As I am on Pacific time and don’t go to work until the afternoon that means a lot of you probably won’t see it until Friday morning. I just received another review so we only have one outstanding. Still time to shoot some bonus stuff my way if you want.

• Like 1