DVDVR Message Board

The Wong Fei-hung Kung Fu Movie Review pre-thread

Execproducer

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I've got my pick and I also have gotten inspiration for a special project.

I haven't sent out the picks yet. However, I don't wan't to overload you. I can review the one you drew. I will be sending everyone else's out sometime tomorrow. I may be working a double so it might be closer to the evening rather than the morning.

I am up for anything.  I can either review one of the suggestions or you can send me a proper pick.

I plan on working on the double feature project.  Apparently I was smart and kept the VHS tape that my dad recorded both movies on waaaaaaaay back in the day when they were on HBO.

I was, what, twelve years old at the time?  The tape has to be at least thirty years old, but apparently it's still in good condition.

I hope it doesn't break when I rewind it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:54 AM, J.T. said:

I'll take requests of stuff from the vault that you would like me to personally review.

I guess I misinterpreted that as you were willing to take on all comers for bonus stuff. No, you go ahead and deal with what I gave you. All of the picks are getting covered.

Sounds good.  I will work on what I said I was going to work on and hopefully I won't be too burned out to get that bonus review of Drive in the thread.

I'm watching the suggestion tomorrow night and my boo is bringing "the tape" and my DVD copy of Drive with her this Friday when she comes to see me for the weekend, since I am on dedicated shift and can't go back home.

Well, I could go back home, but I'd have to commute back from MD to VA the next day and that would suck.

I'll have watched every thing by next Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Watched my movie already. I do not think I had seen it before, unless it was 20 years ago when we used to watch Saturday afternoon Kung fu theatre at the comics shop (followed by Caliente). 

Going to try and watch mine tonight. Perfect pick for me - my favourite era of kung fu films with some guys I recognise but have never seen before. This is exactly what I hoped for when I signed up to this.

• Like 1

I'm so very pleased with my pick because not only is it an old school kung-fu flick but it is a Yuen Biao film I've not watched! and I fuckin LOVE Yuen Biao!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

I'm so very pleased with my pick because not only is it an old school kung-fu flick but it is a Yuen Biao film I've not watched! and I fuckin LOVE Yuen Biao!

James

I await your review of Dreadnaught.

32 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oh we're playing this game are we? ?

I also just got Hi-Yaa! on amazon Prime to fill insome gaps in Amaon's extensive collection of free with Prime HK library. I'm debating whether to write-up a review of Millionaire's Express!

I hope that all this discussion leads to pointless conversation of which is the best of the 3 Brothers films (I will make a full throated argument for Dragons Forever simply because it is that damn fun!)

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I will say that it is a film you would expect someone who LOVES Yuen Biao to have already seen but everyone has gaps.

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

Oh we're playing this game are we? ?

Anyway, speculating and dancing around the edges is cool and all but let us try to refrain from going into too much detail until the review proper.

5 hours ago, J.H. said:

I hope that all this discussion leads to pointless conversation of which is the best of the 3 Brothers films (I will make a full throated argument for Dragons Forever simply because it is that damn fun!)

This conversation is inevitable.

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My first review is in.  I hope the quality is more than suitable.

I think I rambled a bit too much, so it might need some editorial attention.

I noticed one spelling error but I don't see anything else that needs editing. And I expect it will lead to some discussion. Hopefully not the kind that gets threads closed!