DVDVR Message Board

The Wong Fei-hung Kung Fu Movie Review pre-thread

Execproducer

Now that I think about, The Machine Girl, RoboGeisha or Mutant Girls Squad would be fun for this. Hell most Iguchi films would be a blast for this... well maybe not Zombie Ass or Dead Sushi

If I could get away with reviewing the first 6 minutes of Super Sentai 199 Great Battle I would!

Hey! Are any of us brave enough to sit through Firepower, that movie with Warrior in it?

James

Guest The Magnificent 7

Count me in if you don’t mind. I promise not to pick Story of Riki. 

I was on a Shaw Bros. binge in the summer and fall. I was uploading my favorite fight sequences to Instagram too. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

See to me - that's a perfect movie for this

EDIT - to be clear, perfect movie for someone else. Lord would I be irritated if I got that.

I look forward to your bitter review after you get assigned it

James

3 hours ago, Execproducer said:

It was a co-production with Hammer, right? Did El Rey ever play any Hammer?

To the first, yes. An attempt to revive their horror franchise by injecting it with the new cult craze. It... Didn't work.

As for the second, I have no idea. But a Hammer/Shaw Kung Fu Vampire movie sounds like exactly the kind of thing a station partially programmed by Robert Rodriguez would play.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

As for the second, I have no idea. But a Hammer/Shaw Kung Fu Vampire movie sounds like exactly the kind of thing a station partially programmed by Robert Rodriguez would play.

I had El Rey briefly and I would say that a station partially programmed by Robert Rodriguez played about 1% of what I would have expected. Licensing is probably a bitch  major pain. 

You are getting my "curveballs" in my bonus reviews - in fact I might write one this weekend

One I am going to hell for so its best I wait till after Easter to write it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You are getting my "curveballs" in my bonus reviews - in fact I might write one this weekend

Speaking of bonus reviews, if anyone is thinking about it but doesn't want to tackle two features, there is plenty of TV stuff to go through. Just off the top of my head: Daredevil, Iron Fist, Green Hornet, Kung Fu, Martial Law, Ultraman, Jackie Chan Adventures, Hong Kong Phooey, Power Rangers, Sidekicks, etc etc. Also plenty of other shows that had martial arts themed episodes. CHiPs, Happy Days, Fantasy Island. and on and on. 

I just saw this.

I'm in the middle of a move, so I don't know when I'll be able to settle down and watch much.  One minute, the loan is approved, the next they need something else, so I have to spend two or three days getting that from the right person, to call the right person, to get it to the right person.  All the while packing a box here, a box there.

It's some bullshit.

5 hours ago, nate said:

I just saw this.

I'm in the middle of a move, so I don't know when I'll be able to settle down and watch much.  One minute, the loan is approved, the next they need something else, so I have to spend two or three days getting that from the right person, to call the right person, to get it to the right person.  All the while packing a box here, a box there.

It's some bullshit.

Still have over a week to make a pick and it is going to be roughly the end of May before it starts.

17 minutes ago, driver said:

I remember one episode of CHiPs that seemed like a pilot for a show about ninjas.

Yeah, there was an episode literally titled Karate that featured Danny Bonaduce. It had a sequel the following season. 

• Thanks 1