DVDVR Message Board

The Wong Fei-hung Kung Fu Movie Review pre-thread

Execproducer

11 hours ago, Execproducer said:

I'm going to say no to Samurai films because I might run a sword-fighting themed review in a few months, assuming there is any interest. And that would include swashbucklers, peplums, etc. 

But again, early Shaw Bros Sword-Fu is still on the table. 

There goes me suggesting Blind Fury.  But I've watched so many martial arts flicks, I can probably dig up something older that needs to be seen.  I'll go in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I also have a decent selection of Gareth Evans penjak silat violence partiesview.

I've gotten heavy into these lately, and there's a ton on Netflix right now, so if they're open, even better.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, AxB said:

Man, if I let my 14 year old watch a movie called Dirty Ho and his Mum found out about it, she wouldn't speak to me for a few weeks.

My brain translated this to "14 Year Old Dirty Ho and His Mum", so, look on the bright side: the title could get significantly worse.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 1

Mark loves to try and pick obscure movies

And to be fair - the thread title might be a little too obscure too. Like I had been ignoring it because I thought it was just random Kung Fu movie discussion then I realized who started the thread and went "Wait - I better check"

But yeah - I am in

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Mark loves to try and pick obscure movies

And to be fair - the thread title might be a little too obscure too. Like I had been ignoring it because I thought it was just random Kung Fu movie discussion then I realized who started the thread and went "Wait - I better check"

But yeah - I am in

I sent my two options last night, neither of which I would call obscure, especially for the experts in the genre we have here. 

I would have gone Kurosawa If samurai films had been allowed. 

Edited by odessasteps

17 hours ago, J.H. said:

I await someone reviewing Circle of Iron!
or Legend of The 7 Golden Vampires just so someone can marvel at Peter Cushing in a Hammer/Shaw Bros co-production!

James

Legend of 7 Golden Vampires is one of OSJ's favorite films so I nominate him to review that movie.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Is it wrong that I already know what a bonus review is going to be but not what my actual pick is going to be?

James is probably in your shoes as well.  He probably has no idea what he will pick for someone else, but I will be stunned if he doesn't pump out a Kid With The Golden Arm review on his own time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

James is probably in your shoes as well.  He probably has no idea what he will pick for someone else, but I will be stunned if he doesn't pump out a Kid With The Golden Arm review on his own time.

If you thought I waxed poetic about Shaft you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

James

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

Weird Shaw Bros Fact: If you watch the dub of Fists of The White Lotus, after the final battle the victory music that plays is from USA/WWF All American Wrestling!

I should be surprised that I am not the only guy that knows that, but I am not.

I have narrowed my pick down to three movies.

• Like 1

Yeah, not even digging into Shaw Bros stuff , or any of the 80's Direct to VHS Boom stuff I'm at 3 with just the Siliat stuff, and I'm sure more than JT and I watch those.  I could probably submit 10 going into the Kasugi flicks, although those could probably be in the sword category.

Edited by Raziel

I submitted a pick and a backup

I was too much of a coward to actually pick the movie that would so deeply entertain me for this process so that too will have to end up being a bonus review

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

I could probably submit 10 going into the Kasugi flicks, although those could probably be in the sword category.

This may seem completely arbitrary but, for our purposes, ninja films are fine. Nothing wrong with weaponry. I love me some That Fiery Girl, The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, and Legendary Weapons of China. This is a generalization but samurai films are so wrapped up in the sword and a samurai's ability with it that any hand-to-hand is rudimentary at best. A shove here, a throw there, maybe a kick to the gut to clear space. Let's put it this way: If you take away Sho Kosugi's sword or Lau Ka-fei's staff, they are still formidable opponents. If you take away Toshiro Mifune's sword, he is probably scrambling for the nearest stick or rock to throw.  Not that I'm not fond of samurai films. They're just different. 

• Like 1

So at the very least, Revenge of the Ninja and Pray For Death are now options for me.  Man, I got 5 to choose from.  I might just do a bunch of bonus reviews myself.

11 hours ago, J.H. said:

Already writing first Bonus Review, it isn't what you think it is

James

I can only imagine what tokusatsu you pulled out of mothballs to review for this project.

Or maybe it's Grappler Baki or Fist of the North Star?  Hmmm.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I can only imagine what tokusatsu you pulled out of mothballs to review for this project.

Or maybe it's Grappler Baki or Fist of the North Star?  Hmmm.

Why would I watch that terrible live action Fist of The Northstar film?

Not even Vader made that thing watchable!

James

• Haha 1