DVDVR Message Board

The Wong Fei-hung Kung Fu Movie Review pre-thread

Execproducer

I have a week off at the end of May and I need something to do. So, same as every other Holiday review that we have done: Indicate your interest in this thread, send a movie for review, get one back and do the review. Anything from Shaw Bros to Chuck Norris to Tony Jaa. I'm going back and forth on including Chanbara as sword-play films could be it's own category for review but am definitely including the early Shaw's Sword-n-Spear films. I'll take arguements for why Zatoichi does or doesn't belong. This one could be a lot of fun and I know several people already said they'd be down so let's go!! 

If it's too obscure to find it'll be rejected.

Unless I want to review it because I doubt anyone will come up with something I haven't seen, own or know where to find. 

Also, obscure picks haven't really been a major problem for any of the other themed reviews we have done.

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

If you have Amazon Prime, their Shaw Bros catalog that comes with Prime membership is ridiculously deep. Like all the big ones from the 70s and early 80s are right there!

Baby Sandy wakes up around 7AM most days and at least 2 mornings a week it is Shaw Bros stuff free on Amazon Prime Video.

So far Baby Sandy has watched Fists of The White Lotus, Legendary Weapons of Kung-Fu, Dirty Ho, Come Drink With Me, The Heroic Ones, The Kid With Golden Arm (My personal favorite!) and Shaolin Prince.

In case you didn't know (or don't own it) The Street Fighter (Sonny Chiba) is in the public domain and is on Youtube 100% FREE!
(I still say The Criterion Collection is doing me a personal disservice for not putting The Street Fighter in the collection!)

I'm pretty heavy on the Gordon Liu because even the worst Gordon Liu film still has Gordon Liu in it and is thus worth watching!

James

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Baby Sandy wakes up around 7AM most days and at least 2 mornings a week it is Shaw Bros stuff free on Amazon Prime Video.

So far Baby Sandy has watched Fists of The White Lotus, Legendary Weapons of Kung-Fu, Dirty Ho, Come Drink With Me, The Heroic Ones, The Kid With Golden Arm (My personal favorite!) and Shaolin Prince.

You're a good father.

Man, if I let my 14 year old watch a movie called Dirty Ho and his Mum found out about it, she wouldn't speak to me for a few weeks.

• Haha 2

It would interesting for someone to take a look at some of the Rina Takeda movies of the 00s. I was a fan of both High Kick Girl and KG: Karate Girl but I'm the only person I know that has actually sat down and watched them. On a similar note I'm pretty sure everyone watched Chocoalte but how many sat through Jeeja Yanin's mediocre follow-up movie Rising Phoenix?

James

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind watching and reviewing The Street Fighter again (which I own), though I know those aren't the rules. As long as I can find the film I'd be fine with it. The thing is, I've seen tons of this stuff on El Rey but a lot of them are almost interchangeable and it would be hard for me to pick one specific film. Which, I suppose, is part of the point of doing this.

EDIT: Well shit, turns out I have Prime so this might be easier than I thought.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I know thread has only been up 20 hours or so but I'm pretty sure more people had expressed an interest in doing something like this @nate @Curt McGirt @J.T. and probably a couple more I'm forgetting. Maybe we're burning out on these?

If JT isn't in this I'll be damn shocked!

James

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be a Chinese Martial Arts film though. It could be anything already mentioned here or probably 80% of Chuck Norris's filmography or GYMKATA  or even Bad Day at Black Rock . Basically, anything where  a Martial Art is thematically important or it is the primary mode of action will be acceptable.   

Prime not only has The Street Fighter but Return of The Street Fighter and the Street Fighter's Final Revenge

And hell if you REALLY wanna put yourself through it... SISTER STREET FIGHTER!
(All 3 of them!)

Fuck.. .they have a fuckload of Sonny Chiba films on there including Dragon Princess, Shogun's Ninja and Message From Space!
Even that weird period film where Chiba tries to fight a bear Yellow Fangs!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

Well hell, does that mean someone could, in theory, throw their lot in for They Call Me Bruce?
Would Dolemite count? The Human Tornado?

I'm hoping I get one of those early Segal films like Above The Law or Marked For Death!

James

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

Well hell, does that mean someone could, in theory, throw their lot in for They Call Me Bruce?

I'm hoping I get one of those early Segal films like Above The Law or Marked For Death!

James

I thought about posting the human tornado trailer before I posted black belt Jones. 

As I asked last night, are we going to count samurai pictures or not? 

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

James

I would say yes to all three of those. And bonus reviews, as always, would be welcomed and appreciated.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I thought about posting the human tornado trailer before I posted black belt Jones. 

As I asked last night, are we going to count samurai pictures or not? 

I'm going to say no to Samurai films because I might run a sword-fighting themed review in a few months, assuming there is any interest. And that would include swashbucklers, peplums, etc. 

But again, early Shaw Bros Sword-Fu is still on the table. 

Edited by Execproducer

11 hours ago, J.H. said:

If JT isn't in this I'll be damn shocked!

Of course I am in.  I've got a shit ton of Shaw Brothers at the crib and I also have a decent selection of Gareth Evans penjak silat violence parties as well as a few martial arts joints from VietNam featuring Johnny Nguyen..

I'll take requests of stuff from the vault that you would like me to personally review.

• Like 1