DVDVR Message Board

Does anyone follow the current Puerto Rican wrestling scene? If so I have a few questions...

So in Fire Pro, one of the promotions I created is Puerto Rico. I have some edits in there already (Savio, Thunder, Lightning, Ray Gonzalez Sr,  Nihan, Carlito) but I wanted to add some more. I haven't kept track of the scene in Puerto Rico since IWA was in it's heyday. So my question is who are the bigger name guys on the island these days, and can anyone share some info about them (signature moves, height, weight, etc). It's really hard to find much info on the internet about the current scene. I know the current WWC champ is a guy named Xix Xavant, and that WWC's top heel is a guy named Mighty Ursus and that Ray Gonzalez has a son who is now wrestling. Beyond that, I don't know much and haven't been able to find much (WWC's website is of no help at all and I have no idea what, if any, other big promotions there are in P.R.)

I can’t help you with any of this but I thought I’d give you a bump and say that I have never seen any oldschool WWC wrestling that wasn’t epic. Lots of good work from all phases of the oldschool from mat wrestling to hardcore. Whatever lacked in the ring occasionally was made up for by the rest of the show. Those crowds were like 80s JCP crowds on rage pills. The main Spanish announcer was good too. Even if you couldn’t understand him you liked him similar to how you like a good announcer in a soccer game.

And I’ve read good things about Scott Steiner’s world title run in the 2000s down there. That’s on my list of things to dig up for sure.

Now with all that said I doubt you’ll get to many compliments on the place because of Bruiser Brody. His unfortunate death seems to be the 1 that upsets people the most. I understand we lost the man and everything don’t get me wrong, but I’m able to discuss things without bringing him into every one those things similar to how we can discuss Attitude Era WWF without always bringing Owen into it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 6:52 PM, BloodyChamp said:

And I’ve read good things about Scott Steiner’s world title run in the 2000s down there. That’s on my list of things to dig up for sure.

Not to derail this thread too much because I'm also interested in hearing more about PR right now, but what? I wasn't aware of this. I will have to dig this stuff up, if it exists, as well. I remember some channel on Time Warner Cable airing a PR promotion, which I think was IWA, in the 2000s. Maybe a Fox channel?

It was good ole WWC. That’s right Scott Steiner held Abby and Carlos’ ole belt. I think he was the last oldschool guy to wear it. His reign was short but I think he wrestled there for a couple of years. He jawed with those crazy fans, did goofy s*** while brawling, etc. I haven’t seen much of it either but it seemed like a bucket of hidden gems if you were a BPP fan.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Best thing about Puerto Rican wrestling for me was watching Pierroth and ither heels start mini riots in my home town with old men in their 80's pulling knives on him and waiting for them outside stadiums to fight. Fans there are wild.

I haven't followed the scene since I moved years ago unfortunately.

Edited by Edwin

11 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Not to derail this thread too much because I'm also interested in hearing more about PR right now, but what? I wasn't aware of this. I will have to dig this stuff up, if it exists, as well. I remember some channel on Time Warner Cable airing a PR promotion, which I think was IWA, in the 2000s. Maybe a Fox channel?

I recall seeing it on Sunsports Channel in the early 200’s.  I only caught a handful of episodes before it wasn’t on there.  I didn’t know what to think because one episode was Ricky Banderas wrestling someone in what looked like a damn monsoon

• Like 1

Scott Steiner's run in WWC was around 09-10. A quick check shows that Steiner vs. Ray Gonzalez for the Universal title happened at the 2010 Aniversario show. 

One highlight from that feud that I remember was an episode where they kept showing footage of Scott Steiner in the passenger seat of a car talking to either the driver or the person filming him from the backseat and talking smack about Ray Gonzalez and how he was going to teach him a lesson and so on. These were presented as videos Steiner had sent in. I don't remember if the feud was just beginning or if it had been going on for a while, but they ran a few of these promos of him in the car throughout the episode, with the last one ending with Steiner arriving wherever he was going and exiting the car. 

That episode also featured Ray Gonzalez visiting Abdullah the Butcher's House of Ribs & Chinese Food in Atlanta. The reason for the visit was that Ray was looking for a lucrative business opportunity and had found what he believed to be the next untapped gold mine. You guessed it, Ray was there to meet with Abdullah about becoming an investor and franchisee of Abdullah's House of Ribs & Chinese Food. 

Ray is sitting at a table in the restaurant waiting for Abdullah, all the while excited about this potential lucrative business opportunity. Abdullah ambles over (by this point he's already getting around with the help of a cane) and greets him. Ray thanks him for agreeing to meet him and spends a few moments talking about the great opportunity and potential he sees in becoming a franchisee. They talk for a bit and then Abdullah proceeds to give Ray a tour of the restaurant.

What follows is about of minute of great unintentional hilarity, as Abdullah ambles around the restaurant looking like someone who is trying to figure out what the hell to show Ray and a jazzed up Ray Gonzalez following him around, exclaiming his glee about what he's being shown. Abdullah shows him the dining area and Ray's nodding his head going "Good, good." Abdullah shows him other parts of the restaurant including the counter area, the kitchen, even a supply room, and all the while  Ray continues just being excited about what he's being shown. The highlight for  me was Abdullah showing Ray the freaking walk-in freezer, going over to a box and opening it up to show Ray while saying "The meat, this is good stuff" and Ray giving an awed expression going "Oh wow, this is great." 

Eventually, Abdullah runs out of things to show Ray inside the restaurant, so they head outside onto the deck where the entrance is. Abdullah gestures towards the steps that lead to the parking lot, then turns around to show Ray the rest of the deck ("And we have this area here"), while Ray just nods his head liking what he's seeing. At that moment, in the background you see a car pull up in the parking lot behind them. All of a sudden, Scott Steiner emerges from the passenger side of the car, runs up the steps and jumps an unaware Ray Gonzalez from behind. He then proceeds to give Ray a beat down on the deck of the restaurant while Abdullah is off to one side saying "Hey man, what are you doing, don't" at Steiner, but unable to do anything because of his physical condition. Steiner leaves Ray beaten down on the deck and leaves, with the segment ending on Abdullah checking on Ray as best as his condition allowed (meaning asking if he was okay from where he was standing).

It's my second favorite angle that WWC ran at Abdullah's restaurant. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. What was the other angle? 

2. Was Abby speaking English or Spanish?

The other angle is a desperate and injured Carlos Colon, having been put on the shelf by former protégé turned brash arrogant heel Ray Gonzalez and his henchmen, makes an unannounced and uninvited trip to a certain restaurant in the hopes that his mortal enemy of 20 years, who Colon had forced into retirement a year before due to winning a loser must retire match (and therefore depriving said rival of being able to make a living), could be convinced to come back and help him. This angle precedes the Steiner one by about twelve years and was the first time something was done at the restaurant. One of my favorite angles ever.

Abdullah spoke English, as did Ray when interacting with Abdullah.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

So this would have been around 97-98? Did Abby do the match?

Late 98. And Abdullah did do the match, although it wasn't a smooth meeting. There's a feud recap video that was done for the Aniversario 99 Carlos Colon vs. Ray Gonzalez match that includes some snippets of Carlos being injured, the surgery and rehab (with a severe shoulder scar post op) and of the resulting tag match, but includes nothing from Carlos going to the restaurant. Really wish footage of that would turn up.