DVDVR Message Board

DISNEY+ (The Upcoming Streaming Service)

Bustronaut

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Well, yes, when a show it touted as being released in 2021 for 18 - 24 months, then suddenly is being released a year earlier, I would say it's being rushed.

The dates given are usually more about Marvel/Disney keeping things spaced out to avoid fatigue than the actual need for production time.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, Justin877 said:

First thing I watched on the app was my all time favorite , Spiderman and his Amazing Friends episode "7 Little Superheroes".  I love it just for the Namor scene alone.

Watching that with the 7 year old now. 

The design for Chameleon is legitimately good. 

Image result for seven little superheroes chameleon

Things I want but we're never getting, probably:

--The rest of 80s Wonderful World of Disney: It's cool that we got Mr. Boogedy, which is surely the most famous thing that came out of that benighted collection of busted pilots and TV-movie afterthoughts, but I have huge fond memories of Earth*Star Voyager and the Harry Anderson version of "The Absent-Minded Professor" and would really like to revisit both.

--The Tick (animated): This NEVER got a full DVD release back in the day, in part because of Marvel being upset at the Omnipotus (Galactus parody) episode, but Disney has owned it since the Fox Family buyout, used to run in heavy rotation on Disney XD even after Disney bought Marvel, and generally fucking rules.  At least put it on Hulu if it doesn't fit the Disney feel

--Muppet Babies 1.0:  It's obvious that they used WAY too much film footage from things owned by Disney competitors in the imagination footage to ever be re-released, but the heart wants what it wants

--Titan A.E.:  Not a particularly good film, but kind of the end of an era as far as "animated action movies too grown up for kids and too kiddy for adults" goes, and I have a soft spot for a lot of that, and by far my favorite of the Fox-era Bluth films.  Action scenes are great, soundtrack is incredibly dated but used to excellent effect, would generally love to be able to put it on while I game and only pay attention for the fights and escapes.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

--Titan A.E.:  Not a particularly good film, but kind of the end of an era as far as "animated action movies too grown up for kids and too kiddy for adults" goes, and I have a soft spot for a lot of that, and by far my favorite of the Fox-era Bluth films.  Action scenes are great, soundtrack is incredibly dated but used to excellent effect, would generally love to be able to put it on while I game and only pay attention for the fights and escapes.

20CF is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney, so it is very possible that Titan AE could show up on Disney+ once the licensing to other outlets runs out.

• Like 2

Biggest problem with the service right now is that you can't really tell what shorts are on there. I found a Mickey one hidden in the Sword in the Stone extras, for instance, that I don't think you can find in the search. There's also a great 7 minute bit from Disneyland of Walt screwing around with stage magic there. Also saw a good little Sherman brothers feature in the Aristocats extras. 

In general, the extras ARE one of the things that put this above Netflix and others. Went through the live Aladdin features/deleted scenes with the seven year old today.

I'm an hour into the Last Jedi commentary on it, just watching in the margins. It's wildly uneven what you get of course.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 7:15 PM, Matt D said:

In general, the extras ARE one of the things that put this above Netflix and others. Went through the live Aladdin features/deleted scenes with the seven year old today.

The other day I spent way too long seeking out which films had emoji versions in the extras and was not at all disappointed by the things I found. 

I agree that it would be nice if it were more organized what was in there, but it's kind of charming to unexpectedly stumble across cool extras. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1

The 2 year old is very into the first 1.5 minutes of anything Winnie the Pooh and then gets bored quickly, but that means we've put on more than our share of New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which is probably the biggest Pooh touchstone of my youth as I was 6-7 when it came on. The opening theme is fairly nostalgic for me for instance. 

But that show is messed up. Seriously messed up. They took the heffalumps and woozles thing and thought that was the Pooh norm and not the exception, or took the idea that the characters all misinterpret social norms and lingo and stretch them to wild, confused misadventures, and sort of made all of their delusions real. 

It ranges from Tigger losing his stripes after a bath to a whole episode where they battle this thing because Christopher Robin has to clean his room:

Crud-Winnie-the-Pooh.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

• Like 1

Watched The Three Caballeros yesterday afternoon. First half is a bit of a slog but it gets really good with the Baia set-piece and goes full-on acid trip at the very end. Way cool. The animation/human interaction combined with the flawless print had Cindy thinking this was from the 1960s, not 1944.

Does anyone know why Make Mine Music isn't on Plus yet? Seems like a weird thing not to throw up there.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

--The rest of 80s Wonderful World of Disney: It's cool that we got Mr. Boogedy, which is surely the most famous thing that came out of that benighted collection of busted pilots and TV-movie afterthoughts, but I have huge fond memories of Earth*Star Voyager and the Harry Anderson version of "The Absent-Minded Professor" and would really like to revisit both.

I would like to see  more of the late 70's WWDs come to D+.

As a kid I have really fond memories of a short film on one WWD episode called Major Effects! where Timothy Bottoms took a behind the scenes look at the sfx teams working on The Black Hole (I really need to comb my D+ queue because I know it's there somewhere). 

Bottoms is dressed as a superhero though the entire joint.  He's (duh) MAJOR EFFECTS~!

At the end of the doc, there is a cool fight between Major Effects and three supervillains.  I think the bad guys were The Cosmic Cowboy, Sampson, and the FLESH EATING FLY~!  Major Effects gets his ass beat for a bit and then he gets hit with a Shazam bolt that gives him super powers and he's able to overcome the bad guys.

Edited by J.T.

I still don't entirely get their strategy, but for older content, in February, they're putting up:

My Dog, the Thief from 69; I Captured the King of the Leprechauns from 59, which is a Magical World of Disney behind the scenes thing from Darby O'Gill, and a few movies like Big Business (which I don't think I'd even even heard of) and Splash.

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I still don't entirely get their strategy, but for older content, in February, they're putting up:

My Dog, the Thief from 69; I Captured the King of the Leprechauns from 59, which is a Magical World of Disney behind the scenes thing from Darby O'Gill, and a few movies like Big Business (which I don't think I'd even even heard of) and Splash.

Big Business as in the 80's Bette Milder and Lily Tomlin flick where they both play dual roles as twins who were separated at birth? It's a movie I never saw but somehow still remember the commercials for it.

• Like 1

Big Business is a movie I saw a ton as a kid simply because my grandfather would  record the local affiliate channel afternoon movies on vhs and play them to keep me busy while he was watching me. I probably spent months watching that and Return of Swamp Thing when I was 4 or 5. 

WWD stuff notwithstanding, aren’t most of their release dates for movies like Splash just based on when it’s free contractually from another streaming service? 

A lot of the WWD movies were before my time. The only one that I remember vividly as a kid was Encino Woman, which unfortunately didn’t give the franchise legs and expand the Encinoverse.

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuck yeah! Mighty Ducks series starring Emilio Estevez incoming!

But you can watch the Mighty Ducks animated series on Disney+ right now featuring the voices of Ian Ziering, Dennis Franz, Brad Garrett, and Jim Belushi. 

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

But you can watch the Mighty Ducks animated series on Disney+ right now featuring the voices of Ian Ziering, Dennis Franz, Brad Garrett, and Jim Belushi. 

Yeah that's a hard no.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Peck (Josh of Drake & Josh) has been cast as Scott Turner (Tom Hanks' character) in the Turner & Hooch reboot series

It will be a 12 episode series. No word on when it will actually hit the service