DVDVR Message Board

DISNEY+ (The Upcoming Streaming Service)

Bustronaut

I think it's nice that there is something at least being mentioned, but if you have ever seen any of the Merrie Melodies / Looney Tunes DVDs, I feel like the WB disclaimer does a better job of making it known that these things exist and are not being just pushed aside as "It was a thing that happened back then!!"

U8UZyVI.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The pearl-clutching clickbait about the outdated cultural depiction and tobacco warnings is hilarious. I literally wouldn't have noticed if people weren't drawing my attention to it. 

My parents made some snide remarks about it. I guess Fox News probably ran a story about it, because I guess there’s nothing else noteworthy going on in the news right now for them to cover.

?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think they had to do something for Dumbo, if they hadn't at least put out a warning itd have definitely come up as it should... Dumbo is a very bad look.

So is Fantasia.

I prefer the WB disclaimer because it does the important public service of not excusing the content. 

Just because the cartoons were the product of a different zeitgeist does not make the racism or misogyny acceptable in this day and age and they need to be seen in their entire ugly context.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

That scene in  Dumbo gave us the best thing in Spielberg's 1941. I'm going to watch because nostalgia and Mama rocking baby Dumbo will never not get me but yeah, if I was a younger person who'd never seen it before, I'd imagine my jaw would hit the floor. 

Edited by Execproducer

37 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The pairing off by colors? Or the fat shaming hippo ballerina? 

The paring off of colors in the centaur scene as well as the pickaninny servant and zebra slave girls that were edited out.

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2008/03/07/racism-in-disneys-fantasia/

While I agree that we simply cannot ignore that these things ever existed, we also should not embrace them with romantic nostalgia.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

While I agree that we simply cannot ignore that these things ever existed, we also should not embrace them with romantic nostalgia.

Agreed, though I was referring to nostalgia for my youth and not some bygone era. It would be impossible to separate myself from the pop culture I was inundated with as a child, rather it be Disney or WB cartoons, Our Gang shorts, The Lone Ranger, The Three Stooges, whatever. I'd also say that much of that was an eye-opening education in the history of racial tolerance or the lack thereof, rather than anything I was learning in school in the mid-70's to the early 80's.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Agreed, though I was referring to nostalgia for my youth and not some bygone era. It would be impossible to separate myself from the pop culture I was inundated with as a child, rather it be Disney or WB cartoons, Our Gang shorts, The Lone Ranger, The Three Stooges, whatever. I'd also say that much of that was an eye-opening education in the history of racial tolerance or the lack thereof, rather than anything I was learning in school in the mid-70's to the early 80's.   

I just think that we as a society have somehow lost the ability to compartmentalize.  I think we can enjoy certain things within context without excusing or forgiving the culture behind them.

I absolutely LOVE HP Lovecraft stories and can still condemn the author as a racist dirtbag and I don't think I'm necessarily being hypocritical by reading his work in spite of how I feel about the creator. 

As I said before, I think the danger lies in embracing the culture behind the content.   I still thing that Bugs Bunny cartoons are some of the funniest things ever created, but I've no desire to turn the cultural clock back to the pre Civil Rights era 1940's.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

But does that really count though?  

I feel that Family Guy and Southpark are in the same boat as they are both deliberately offensive as a form of satire or parody rather than something like Dumbo or Fantasia being racially insensitive.

I keep thinking of Mike Judge's interview when Beavis and Butthead was hot and he said that he felt that the show was both societal litmus test and PSA.  You could find both humor in the antics and knew to shun anyone who identified too much with the main characters.

Edited by J.T.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, gatling said:

Watching Willow with my 11 year old today.  I haven't seen this in probably close to 30 years, loved it when I was a kid.

Val Kilmer shouting "THERE'S A PECK WITH AN ACORN AND HE'S POINTING IT AT ME" is still the greatest line of that movie and arguably his greatest performance

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Return to Oz holds up. It still freaks me out 35 years later, but not being 7 I can appreciate the things NOT built to give a small child nightmares.  Next movie I watch will be Oliver and Co

I watched it on Thursday night. I loved it when I saw it in theaters when I was a kid, then saw it again a time or two, but not in probably 20 years or so. I agree that it held up really well, but I do have the criticism that they should have gone with something closer to the Ray Bolger makeup / appliance for the Scarecrow's look. The single expression mask looks fucking excellent, but in the little bit of dialogue he has, it bugs me that his face doesn't move.

I will also say that Fairuza Balk does a really good job in mimicking Judy Garland's stilted, dopey delivery of her lines. It really helps to solidify the connection to the MGM film. She did some great work, especially considering that she got an "Introducing" credit in it. Got to be tough for a kid to try to pick up and take over a character so beloved.

I think tonight I will shoot for the other dark, creepy fantasy picture from the same era in The Black Cauldron. I'd like to turn my 10 year old on to it.

• Like 1

I've got two minor quibbles:

1) You have to redo the caption settings every time. I would prefer it to be account wide.

2) Once you watch something, it's gone from your watchlist. Not as big a deal with movies, but taking out the Mandalorian because I watched the first episode was weird. I'd rather something stay in my watch list until I remove it.

• Like 2