DVDVR Message Board

DISNEY+ (The Upcoming Streaming Service)

Bustronaut

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

If Song of The South isn't on there then they don't get my money

James

If Song of the South isn't on there, they will get bonus money from me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I feel weird giving Disney money for this. It feels like I am supporting the evil empire, I have been saying the government should bust them up. But now they have my beloved Simpsons hostage. I guess I will deal with that when the time comes. 

Celebration footage of The Mandalorian has leaked. Use the internet before it gets yanked.

Carl Weathers is the head of a guild of bounty hunters. Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal) is basically like a spaghetti western Clint Eastwood/Yojimbo type.

Gina Carano is an ex-shock trooper in the rebellion. Having trouble getting back into civilian life.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:18 PM, Victator said:

I feel weird giving Disney money for this. It feels like I am supporting the evil empire, I have been saying the government should bust them up. But now they have my beloved Simpsons hostage. I guess I will deal with that when the time comes. 

The other option was Comcast buying 20th Century Fox which would have been a lot worse. 

On 4/13/2019 at 11:18 PM, Victator said:

The government should bust them up and other ones like them too.

However, they also rolled this out wisely, generated positive buzz, and obliterated Apple's service announcement. They were going get a lot people's money even if it was 15 dollars a month due to the properties they own and people's fanaticism over them. The price point gets them more positive headlines/buzz and grabs casual and fringe interested parties. You can always slowly hike prices down the line anyway.

I don't necessary want to support them either but I don't know if this is where I would draw a line in the sand when I'll be buying a ticket for Rise of Skywalker (bad title) one month later. All depressing and hypocritical.

15 hours ago, happjack said:

The other option was Comcast buying 20th Century Fox which would have been a lot worse. 

Would it? Putting aside which corporation may or may not be more evil, and any fanboy impulses at least it wouldn't be the largest movie studio/distributor absorbing the fifth largest. Universal and Fox combined made less money at the box office last year than Disney did alone.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Would it? Putting aside which corporation may or may not be more evil, and any fanboy impulses at least it wouldn't be the largest movie studio/distributor absorbing the fifth largest. Universal and Fox combined made less money at the box office last year than Disney did alone.

Comcast is a content provider and internet service provider, Disney just has the content. The more content Comcast has the more power they have to control what comes into your house via their ISP's.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure its over in the Marvel threads but Disney announced that End Game will debut on Disney + on Dec 11

It would be amazing if they waited to put it on DVD till after but they ain't giving up the sweet sweet Christmas money

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am sure its over in the Marvel threads but Disney announced that End Game will debut on Disney + on Dec 11

It would be amazing if they waited to put it on DVD till after but they ain't giving up the sweet sweet Christmas money

I'm still waiting to officially hear if all or a select number of the Marvel films will be available at launch. I've heard everything from all of them, to a limited number, to only 5 of them.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Given that Infinity War was released on disc in either August or September, yeah, this feels highly unlikely. 

• 2 weeks later...

The six year old asked for various Disney DVDs for her birthday, including Oliver and Company. On the one hand, it's a colossal waste since these will probably be up on the streaming service. On the other, do you have any idea how hard it is to buy a kid a present in 2019? We get all the books we could possibly need at the library. We get most movies we could possibly need at the library and there's more for her to watch between on-demand and streaming than she can possibly watch (we're about 7 episodes behind on both Star vs the Forces of Evil and Big Hero Six: the series, not to mention the new She-Ra season. This after we binged some Ducktales this weekend and Tangled: the Series a few weeks ago). We're not going to watch THAT much TV, really. She's at that crunchy age where a lot of traditional board games are dull to her but the more advanced/expensive/modern collaborative ones are still a few years away. 

Mainly, we're going "camping" in July as a present, but it's nice to have something to unwrap. So yes, we'll get her some soon to be pointless DVDs just so we can wrap something.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Kind of surprised the Simpsons will be on Disney+. Figured they would keep it on Hulu.

The Mandalorian is the only real launch day draw unless the Clone Wars is also dropping it's 7th season then as well.

Edited by Eivion

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It seems clear that the early selling point will be Star Wars, Pixar and Disney favorites

Yeah,  they are going to go full bore with the MCU later on with the exclusive drops like End Game.   

@Eivion I thought that too but The Simpsons is going to be one of their "Friends"  comfort food programs where if someone doesn't know what to watch,  just throw on the episode where Homer becomes Mr. Plow etc. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Kind of surprised the Simpsons will be on Disney+. Figured they would keep it on Hulu.

The Mandalorian is the only real launch day draw unless the Clone Wars is also dropping it's 7th season then as well.

Disney is going all out with the Simpsons by putting it on Disney+ in addition to green lighting a second movie that's supposedly a sequel to the first movie. There's no way it was going to be anywhere but Disney+.

Just did a second look on Variety at the Disney+ lineup and....

“The Phineas and Ferb Movie” (working title)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hey Disney, while you're at it and since you're so flush with money, please drop off a dump truck full of cash wherever Alex Hirsch lives and convince him to make more Gravity Falls shit, whether if that's a movie, a sequel series, adventures of Stan and Stanford, or whatever.

In the meanwhile, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the Owl House is as good as Gravity Falls.