DVDVR Message Board

DISNEY+ (The Upcoming Streaming Service)

Bustronaut

Disney+ Launches November 12th in the US.  $6.99/Month or $69/year.

Confirmed series:

LOKI

WANDAVISION (Vision/Scarlet Witch)

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER

THE MANDALORIAN

UNTITLED CASSIAN ANDOR (STAR WARS)  with Diego Luna

HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: THE SERIES (High School theater kids stage HSM: The Musical)

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO JEFF GOLDBLUM (NatGeo nature series)

Edited by Bustronaut
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

All Star Wars movies, all MCU (up to Captain Marvel), 18 of 21 Pixar movies at launch

Not exactly true.

All of the Star Wars movies will be on Disney+ "within a year of launch". The original three, the terrible prequels and Force Awakens/Rogue One will be on Day One, but Solo/Last Jedi/Clone Wars won't be on there yet.

Captain Marvel, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Thor: The Dark World will be available on launch day. Every other title is tied up in other channels (EPIX, various cable networks) or Netflix. Every MCU title will be on Disney+ by November 2020 though.

Edited by Casey

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I just need to know what's going on with the animated 90s Marvel shows, because the X-Men & Spider-Man series' were awesome and a big part of my childhood.

Mine too.

Post childhood, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

10 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Jeff Goldblum hosting/narrating a show?  Hell, yeah!

I'll likely sign up on day one and hope that the service runs fine with a launch lineup worth getting into.  So far I like what I see though will have to temper expectations regarding movies that won't be added yet at launch.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

If this show is anywhere near as entertaining as his deadpan Apartments.com commercials, I am all in.

If Disney uploads the original Han Shot First trilogy, I will love them forever and submit to further brainwashing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I split the Disney streaming stuff into its own thread since the sale is complete and this can work for awhile

I knew I would probably get this due to how many properties they have that I am interested in. The price point really really helps

And since they already have a deal with PS4 - I am good to go there (I just needed one of my gaming consoles to have the app)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

If this show is anywhere near as entertaining as his deadpan Apartments.com commercials, I am all in.

If Disney uploads the original Han Shot First trilogy, I will love them forever and submit to further brainwashing.

Amen to that. The Special edition of Return of the Jedi is borderline unwatchable. . . .

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I split the Disney streaming stuff into its own thread since the sale is complete and this can work for awhile

I knew I would probably get this due to how many properties they have that I am interested in. The price point really really helps

And since they already have a deal with PS4 - I am good to go there (I just needed one of my gaming consoles to have the app)

Our TV is old enough that I'm not sure it has a USB jack (maybe it does). Our most up to date console is a WiiU which can't even do Hulu anymore. Logically, the next console we'd buy would be a Switch which probably won't help us since it doesn't even have Netflix. I'm not sure what the logical solution is here. 

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Our TV is old enough that I'm not sure it has a USB jack (maybe it does). Our most up to date console is a WiiU which can't even do Hulu anymore. Logically, the next console we'd buy would be a Switch which probably won't help us since it doesn't even have Netflix. I'm not sure what the logical solution is here. 

Buy a VGA to USB adapter (assuming your TV truly doesn't have a USB port)

Or VGA to HDMI

Then do like a Firestick or Roku or Apple TV 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Buy a VGA to USB adapter (assuming your TV truly doesn't have a USB port)

Or VGA to HDMI

Then do like a Firestick or Roku or Apple TV 

Not sure why the USB is necessary unless you're powering one of the stick devices.  

If doing one of the streaming devices, you pretty much have to stick to HDMI for the current ones, as HDCP has hit a point that it basically laughs at any converters/switches that stand inbetween it and the TV.

In the TV thread I said a good way to get back at Netflix's constant price increases, not to mention other streaming price increases, would be to just price Disney+ at $5 to $8 a month.

Man, they really ate everyone's lunch. There's no way I don't subscribe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

In the TV thread I said a good way to get back at Netflix's constant price increases, not to mention other streaming price increases, would be to just price Disney+ at $5 to $8 a month.

Man, they really ate everyone's lunch. There's no way I don't subscribe.

If you hate price hikes, you won’t like what Disney has planned in a few years. 

I'll cross that bridge when I get there, but the shit with YTTV and Netflix really pissed me off this week. Another Netflix price hike, which was at least the second this year, and the YTTV increase from $35 to $50 was especially annoying.

I spent too long trying to figure out what the heck YTTV is. 

Disney’s game seems to be the same as everyone else, which is to bleed money early on big name originals and scrape out some market share. Disney is huge and diverse and can weather that storm longer than some others, but at the end of the day the price hike is always coming. That price point isn’t sustainable. 

I’m not even sure I need another new streaming service right now. I’ll wait on some reviews for the original programming or see just how much vault stuff ends up on there. B-tier Marvel and Star Wars doesn’t do much for me at the concept level. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

19 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

All Star Wars movies, all MCU (up to Captain Marvel), 18 of 21 Pixar movies at launch

Sounds like the Disney Princess movies will be available day 1 too, which a) guarantees I’ll subscribe given I have a 5 year old daughter, and b) is actually a pretty big deal since they rotate those movies in and out of their vault.

The Disney Vault appears to be done "eventually."  No comment was made as to whether SotS will be included.

New 20th Century Fox Films will not be a part of it through 2024, as they have a deal with HBO.

• Like 1