DVDVR Message Board

DISNEY+ (The Upcoming Streaming Service)

Bustronaut

It's one we want to see but I can wait for when that expires and we can watch it without paying the $30.  I think if they had it at a much lower price point of let's say $5 then maybe I would consider it.

• Like 1

I was going to wait until June, but I'm lucky enough to have a sister and niece who wanted to see Raya so since I share my account with them I watched it after my sister paid for the unlock.

I thought the movie was pretty good and I don't remember being bored at all during it.  Plot is a bit too straightforward and the ending is a bit too sappy, but overall it was a very enjoyable ~2 hours of viewing.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2021 at 8:43 AM, JonnyLaw said:

Has anyone watched Raya yet? I’m tempted, but I also would prefer not to encourage Disney to charge $30 for more of their films, especially ones where I’m the only one who would be watching it *cough*Black Widow*cough*.

I have. It's a solid-ish 7/10. IMHO not worth a $30 fee for premiere access. It's ridiculous to pay that much for a movie that will be available for free on a service you're already paying in about three months or so.

Like Raya is a decent kids action-adventure movie, good messaging, but it's a bit weak on its writing and pacing. I think some of the main characters are under-developed, and all the production issues clearly took a toll on it.

I think what's really good about Raya is good animation, some really nice world-building, and even visual character development. But the script and central conflict are lacking.

But overall, definitely wait until it's free. Paying $30 for this now is a scam. 

• Like 4

Although I’m opposed to it, I get the rationale for paying $30, as it would be roughly the same price, if not less, as my family going to the movie, especially since we also share the account with my parents.  That said, my daughter hasn’t been begging to see it, so waiting isn’t a problem.

• Like 1

We watched it last weekend. Even the 19 old sat and watched with us, which was a nice surprise. We made popcorn. To go to the theater would have been close to 60 bucks, given the three kids, before another 20 for popcorn and drinks. We didn't do it for Mulan, but there was a) a bunch of interest in the house for this one and b) the wife had gotten some on-sale coloring books for easter baskets for the kids a week before and it was good to have some understanding for them. Movie was fine. No regrets along those lines as it was a nice way to break up the weekend and something we hadn't done in any meaningful way since Soul dropped, but it completely depends upon your family situation.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 8:50 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, judging from its humor, recent Family Guy is running the risk of getting a Song of the South pulled on it. 

Song of the South?

On 2/24/2021 at 4:49 AM, TheVileOne said:

It's only on Disney+ Star. Also, they removed an episode.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:09 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Looked it up, and seems pretty tame for a series that constantly makes blacks, Jews, pedophiles, rapists, and especially trans people the butt of or fodder for bad jokes. (I'm probably missing a few categories there)

Yeah, there's a sizeable number of those episodes, unfortunately. I thought the pulled episode might be When You Wish Upon a Weinstein (S3 Ep22) or Road to the Multiverse (S8 Ep1).

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Song of the South?

Song of the South is an infamous Disney flick from 46 that's an adaption of the Uncle Remus tales, which is pretty horrific in its overt racism in telling tales from the Reconstruction Era American South,  which as we know is a bastion of good feelings all around.  Sometime after Eisner took control of Disney, he buried almost all traces of the movie.  The Zippity Do Dah segment makes it into shorts and music tapes/DVD, and up til last year, the Splah Mountain rides across all the parks were based on it.  

At this point,  Disney refuses to release it in full in any format, doesn't even do much with Zipoity Do Dah, and the Splash Mountain rides are being converted to Princess and the Frog themed.  So they've pretty much scrubbed it as far as they can, woth only some legacy 70mm private prints and first run video tapes from the pre-Eisner days left in the wild.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Song of the South is an infamous Disney flick from 46 that's an adaption of the Uncle Remus tales, which is pretty horrific in its overt racism in telling tales from the Reconstruction Era American South,  which as we know is a bastion of good feelings all around.  Sometime after Eisner took control of Disney, he buried almost all traces of the movie.  The Zippity Do Dah segment makes it into shorts and music tapes/DVD, and up til last year, the Splah Mountain rides across all the parks were based on it.  

At this point,  Disney refuses to release it in full in any format, doesn't even do much with Zipoity Do Dah, and the Splash Mountain rides are being converted to Princess and the Frog themed.  So they've pretty much scrubbed it as far as they can, woth only some legacy 70mm private prints and first run video tapes from the pre-Eisner days left in the wild.

Thank you, @Raziel. Learnt something new.

Yeah that is a very American thing Natural, I'm not surprised you aren't aware of it. As far as Family Guy goes, well... it seems like the first couple seasons are okay and then it just gets worse and worse. Quagmire's mother being fodder for comedy frankly pisses me off. Or grinds my gears heh...

• Thanks 1

It was always strange to me that Disney worked so hard to bury Song of the South but still built Splash Mountain and kept it around for over 30 years without everyone really raising those questions. 

If the movie is problematic and you want to ban it, why would you invest so much time and money in building a ride based on that film and its characters therein?

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It was always strange to me that Disney worked so hard to bury Song of the South but still built Splash Mountain and kept it around for over 30 years without everyone really raising those questions. 

If the movie is problematic and you want to ban it, why would you invest so much time and money in building a ride based on that film and its characters therein?

The Song ban didn't really start in earnest until the mid-90's when Disney started going heavy on their Home Video release rotation (along with upgrading everything to digital formats in the late 90's/early aughts with LD/VCD/DVD's).  Splash Mountain itself started construction in 84, which at the time was still "acceptable".  Until then, while a whole lot of the movie was buried, a lot of the songs and Br'er Rabbit segments were still either in short form on the early Disney Channel or on song/short compilation VHS tapes.  Eisner didn't throw the Masters into Anaheim's deepest hole until 98 or so.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yeah, and there were occasional theatrical re-releases up until '86, a couple years after Splash Mountain got the green light. 

I remember my babysitter being very excited to take me to see it in the theaters when they released it in '86.  Would love to follow up now on what her thought process was.

My only real memories of the movie are Zip-a-dee-doo-dah and just horrendously shitting my pants about a quarter of the way through.

50 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The Song ban didn't really start in earnest until the mid-90's when Disney started going heavy on their Home Video release rotation (along with upgrading everything to digital formats in the late 90's/early aughts with LD/VCD/DVD's).  Splash Mountain itself started construction in 84, which at the time was still "acceptable".  Until then, while a whole lot of the movie was buried, a lot of the songs and Br'er Rabbit segments were still either in short form on the early Disney Channel or on song/short compilation VHS tapes.  Eisner didn't throw the Masters into Anaheim's deepest hole until 98 or so.

Some of this I didn't know, thanks.

Still seems weird they didn't think of masking over or re-theming the ride over 20 years with all the park renovations Disney generally goes through.

My only memory of Zippity Do Dah was the one and only time I went to Disneyworld and Epcot. It was our final day, we were at Epcot, I was told we needed to get going, but there was going to be a parade or something with a bunch of characters. So my parents begrudgingly stuck around. The last thing I saw there were all the characters doing this different version of Zippity Do Dah that started with "ZIP ZIP ZIP! ZIP ZIP ZIP!" and after each "ZIP ZIP ZIP" another character would jump out. We then left because my parents were tired of being at Epcot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Still seems weird they didn't think of masking over or re-theming the ride over 20 years with all the park renovations Disney generally goes through.

It was a combo of, "If we don't talk about it no-one will notice" and money. Apparently it would have cost a lot to rip out and redo everything.

5 hours ago, JLSigman said:

It was a combo of, "If we don't talk about it no-one will notice" and money. Apparently it would have cost a lot to rip out and redo everything.

I mean, it *is* costing them a lot of money to rip out and redo everything, they just have it budgeted now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, it *is* costing them a lot of money to rip out and redo everything, they just have it budgeted now.

I think one of the issues for not re-themeing in the past was the reluctance to take an extremely popular ride off line for over a year, Splash Mountain was one of the most popular rides at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom, so it wasn't like shutting down the Norway boat ride to re-theme it to Frozen.