DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Playoffs: OCTOFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

Terrible draw for the Rockets all the way around.  Toughest road to the Finals by far.

It appears the Sixers have been bullshitting about Embiid's health.  "Load management" has now morphed into "It's possible he doesn't play in Game 1."  If the Sixers were a normal team with a normal medical staff I would brush this off as gamesmanship, and I still do think he will play, but this is the team of phantom shoulder injuries and deathly peanut allergies so who the fuck knows.

I’ll repost what I put in the other thread:

Intriguing matchups out West:

Clips vs Warriors. Clips probably don’t have much to matchup with the Warriors, but Pat Beverley vs an injured Steph is something to watch, and Lou Williams can go bananas at any moment. The Clips bench is better than the Warriors, so we’ll see what’s going on. Hopefully ex-Rockets Bev, Trez and sweet Lou can do some damage against the Warriors.

Nuggets vs Spurs. I have zero faith in Denver, and they’ll be introduced to Playoff Pop. Spurs sweep.

Blazers v. Thunder. Without Nurkic there’s a wide open layup line for the Thunder all night every night. Thunder should win, but they can underachieve. And Dame shoulda got some MVP love.

Rockets v. Jazz. Y’all know what I think. Fuck the Jazz. I was born hating the Jazz. I hate Stockton, Malone, Jerry Sloan, Mark Eaton, Hornacek, DWill, Boozer, Okur, Kirilenko, Ingles, Gobert, Rubio, maybe Donovan Mitchell, and everyone else. I completely forgot that Grayson Allen was on Utah. Of course he is. Fuck him too.

It is interesting that the two best teams in the NBA could be meeting in the second round, whereas the 6 or 7 seed is getting a free pass to the WCF.

I think Toronto with Kawhi are the team to beat in the East.  

Also, Pistons in 4.

Just saw the score with the Nets leading Sixers by ten in the fourth.

Jimmy Butler has 32. So I'm sure that locker room will be unbearable whether they come back to win or not.

• Haha 1

I don't normally buy into playoff performers/choke artists but I think we'd be hard pressed to find a good-to-great player whose game falls off a cliff when the playoffs start like what happens with Kyle Lowry every spring.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Just saw the score with the Nets leading Sixers by ten in the fourth.

Jimmy Butler has 32. So I'm sure that locker room will be unbearable whether they come back to win or not.

Ben Simmons better have an escape hatch from the building based on performance today.  And then had the nerve to shit on the fans afterward.  Is he getting Philly advice from Ricky Watters

And there is also players checking out cell phones on the bench during the damn game.  I mean granted the guy was inactive and wasn't a factor in the game but come it is the playoffs put your cell phone in the locker room

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Embiid is clearly hurt. Jimmy is still Jimmy. The rest of em? Yikes.

Tobias can't get any space when he plays every single minute with Ben Simmons.  He isn't good enough defensively to be an afterthought in the offensive game plan, but here we are.  Brett has to find him some open looks from 3 somehow.  Maybe pair him with Jimmy and JJ and stagger with Simmons as much as possible?

I honestly don't know how you find Tobias open looks, because Ben Simmons is such a crippling offensive presence.  If he is driving to the rim and playing great defense you can live with it, but when he is checked out like yesterday?  I think I'd rather play TJ McConnell (who has been struggling for the last few months).  Simmons has to be aggressive going downhill or what is even the point.  He also played some of the worst defense I've seen out of him all year.  In Game 1 of the PLAYOFFS! What?  How are you letting Jared Dudley cross you up?

I still think they win this series, but, if they don't, it will be the last series of Brett's Sixer career.  Not that it is entirely his fault.  Elton gambled big with the Butler and Harris signings, but they somehow ended up with 5 (3 unplayable) centers and no wing depth?  Have to do better. It's been so obvious that they need more shooting to have a shot at making Ben Simmons at PG work.

It all comes back to Simmons, though. He isn't good enough not to hustle on every single play, but there he was taking plays off on both ends yesterday.  Such a frustrating player.

Also. Maybe just maybe Brett should be running those JJ dribble handoffs with Ben and not Joel.  You know, the guy who isn't being guarded.

Ill take a lesser screen and the extra 4 feet of space any day.

Edited by Jrag

21 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

So far so good and Fowler's analysis of Detroit's chances seem accurate through 2 minutes.

With a healthy Blake, the Pistons have very little chance.

With him hurt, they'd have been better off tanking the last week and hoping for a lottery miracle.

(God I wish Blake had stayed healthy and they got the 7th seed. Had Toronto's number all season.)

Yeah, that was rough. It'll be interesting to see what adjustments Snyder makes for trying to handle the penetration, particularly the help defense. Like, I know you don't want to give up the lob to Capella like last year but this wasn't any good either.