DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll never understand that mentality of wishing for a promotion's failure simply because you're loyal to another one. There's an established ice cream shoppe in the town I reside, and they just moved to a new location in town. A new ice cream shoppe opened in the former location of the other shoppe. Do I want the new place to fail? No, I'm going to give them a shot. There's enough room for another major US promotion. It's not as if AEW is going full on Eric Bischoff and saying they wants to take down WWE.

No one is in this thread rooting for them to fail. 

• Thanks 1

I hesitate to speak for anyone, but the same 3 or 4 people who tap dance around being snarky or saying it's a sham or who post more irrational skepticism in here than they do anywhere else certainly gives the feeling to many of us that it's the same people just rooting for this to fail so they can say they were right. If you go back and look at most of the AEW discussions, it's always the same people who derail the discussion and while ignoring people is a solution, you can't selectively ignore them by thread and you can't stop others from ignoring them. I've tried staying on topic again up until this post but the same group of people have had nothing constructive to add to the conversation, which is just going to lead this down the same path these threads have gone down before.

Again, if you're skeptical of this or think this is a sham or think we're all fools or whatever, then why are you even commenting in this thread? We get it. We got it a month ago. We got it two months ago. We got it when AEW was first announced. It's like the old saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" or in this case, if you don't care about this promotion or think it's going to be a disappointment, why do you have to keep announcing that to everyone. It just makes it look like you're trying to be the smart one pointing at all of us idiots.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I hesitate to speak for anyone, but the same 3 or 4 people who tap dance around being snarky or saying it's a sham or who post more irrational skepticism in here than they do anywhere else certainly gives the feeling to many of us that it's the same people just rooting for this to fail so they can say they were right. If you go back and look at most of the AEW discussions, it's always the same people who derail the discussion and while ignoring people is a solution, you can't selectively ignore them by thread and you can't stop others from ignoring them. I've tried staying on topic again up until this post but the same group of people have had nothing constructive to add to the conversation, which is just going to lead this down the same path these threads have gone down before.

Again, if you're skeptical of this or think this is a sham or think we're all fools or whatever, then why are you even commenting in this thread? We get it. We got it a month ago. We got it two months ago. We got it when AEW was first announced. It's like the old saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" or in this case, if you don't care about this promotion or think it's going to be a disappointment, why do you have to keep announcing that to everyone. It just makes it look like you're trying to be the smart one pointing at all of us idiots.

So by this logic..

Why the hell does anyone post in the WWE threads?

Skepticism + Tempering expectations + critical discussion =/= rooting for it to fail.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I don't follow him on Twitter and the John McClain pic should have been a dead giveaway, but I didn't know TheFightOracle was FrontRowBrian. Makes sense, but that's two people I don't really care for in FRB and Bix.  That said, last time I checked, FRB is more hit than he is miss. Now the details in between that may be a little off (or sometimes way off), but the bar is pretty low anyway.

12 minutes ago, Ace said:

Would they claim it as Los Angeles like TNA did for UC Irvine?

To be fair, Glory Kickboxing does that as well. They do a show in Ontario and call it Glory (insert number): Los Angeles.  They also do it for shows at the Sears Centre calling it Glory XX: Chicago. 

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If you can't handle people having a differing opinion, then perhaps the internet isn't for you.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Again, if you're skeptical of this or think this is a sham or think we're all fools or whatever, then why are you even commenting in this thread? 

Because Phil told me I have to. ? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So by this logic..

Why the hell does anyone post in the WWE threads?

Skepticism + Tempering expectations + critical discussion =/= rooting for it to fail.

Because commenting in the WWE threads is practically group therapy where we can all commiserate and hope for things to get better while we keep watching this thing we're addicted to.

And fine, from your perspective you're not rooting for it to fail, but again, to many of us, that's how it comes across. If it isn't that, then it's wanting to be right and tap dance on the rest of us because you were the one calling it a sham from the beginning. Also, if you have no or little faith in this and keep bringing up why or how that is, then don't you see how that can be construed as wanting it to fail so your assumptions can be proven correct? So Tony just looks like the money mark you say he is, so the Bucks and Kenny look like the egregious self-promoters you say they are, and so Cody looks as irresponsible as you think he's going to be? And what good does it do to constantly keep bringing those points up when we're all talking about something else? It's like the moment anyone says something positive, you have to interject with that, and that's not critical discussion. To us that's saying, you're all going to look really silly when they don't get a TV deal or this isn't what you hoped it would be or whatever.

Look, I get being skeptical, and until this airs I guess none of us would know, but I take more enjoyment shooting the shit with other folks about what this could be or hoping it develops in a certain way than just always being skeptical. That's all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Look, I get being skeptical 

Do you? Because you're acting like we're either with you or against you. There's no middle ground: We can either rejoice in the glory that is AEW, or get the hell out of this thread. 

• Thanks 1

My issues with AEW are as follows:

a) I find the Bucks and Kenny specifically embody stuff I don't like about wrestling in that they believe more is better and their excesses are a poison to the business.

b) Bookers always put themselves in key in ring positions for the very simple reason that they can control the talent much more easily when they are the talent.  I see no reason to believe this will be different.  So while AEW casts itself as a place for the talent to rise to prominence (see Cody ear cupping gif here), I am doubtful of that claim.

c) AEW likes to cast itself as all things to all people, its family friendly, its inclusive, its got penis spots, its got death match workers.  It can't be all of these things at the same time.  It comes off as pandering.

d) WWE is the lead heel in the AEW universe which makes me wince. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Raziel said:

See, this is the thing.  People aren't skeptical because they're "loyal to another promotion".  They're skeptical because with the reporting thus far and how guys have behaved in the past, some people see more red flags here than a Tienanmen Square parade.  If they succeed, awesome.  But I'm going to be skeptical of Dusty Rhodes kid having an open checkbook and four of the most blatant self promoters currently working having full control of everything. Historically, that's NEVER been a good thing and has never worked out.  Honestly I see it falling somewhere between Dixie's TNA and Bischoff's WCW, where it starts eating itself because they threw a grenade into wrestling's pay scale.

I have more of a problem on how The Elite Ride or Die's (better than Stan?) swarm whenever you dare say a critical or negative word about them, and how dare we question these Saviors of wrestling. Acting as if no other promotion exists in the US and this is the only one that can possibly break the stranglehold of the evil WWE, and how if we even DARE TO QUESTION, we're just WWE loyalists that want to see it fail and want the status quo to remain.  

It's even more annoying when people act as if AEW is the only viable alternative when at no point in history as so much and so varied Pro Wrestling been as accessable as it is now, and not just in the US, the WORLD.  But only Cody can save us.

What examples have you seen from The Elite that suggest they're going to act in a manner similar to Hogan, Nash, Hall, Michaels, HHH?

Cody, Kenny, and the Bucks have been self promoters, but you kind of have to be when you're independent wrestlers. It's not like they had WWE's machine behind them. With the exception of Kenny, Cody and the Bucks were signed to ROH, which Sinclair puts as little as they have to into ROH.

Of course, plenty of promotions exist, but how many have the opportunity AEW does? TNA blew it trying to be WWE-lite. ROH will never grow beyond what it has because Sinclair only cares about having cheap programming for syndication.

You are aware there are WWE loyalists that do nothing but shit on any non-WWE product, whether they've seen it or not, right? You don't think that is annoying? 

We have differing opinions and that's fine.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is very sketchy, but apparently Dean Ambrose has been given a multiyear offer at $6M per by AEW.   

That can't possibly be a real offer. No one could be that insane. I like Dean, but Jesus Christ.

• Like 2

II'm a little sad that it's gonna be JR, Marvez and Excalibur only because I would love to hear Stevie Ray and JR calling a match and JR struggling to figure out what the hell Stevie is saying. 

"What's a 'Fruit Booty'?"

"Did you just call her a Yak?"

etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What examples have you seen from The Elite that suggest they're going to act in a manner similar to Hogan, Nash, Hall, Michaels, HHH?

See: Omega, Kenny from about December 2018 on, which led us to Jay White, IWGP Champ.

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Related...

This is very sketchy, but apparently Dean Ambrose has been given a multiyear offer at $6M per by AEW.   

A fitting end to the saga.

I've got my gold mansion. I've got my rocket car...

tumblr_lfx7b11y2B1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

II'm a little sad that it's gonna be JR, Marvez and Excalibur only because I would love to hear Stevie Ray and JR calling a match and JR struggling to figure out what the hell Stevie is saying. 

"What's a 'Fruit Booty'?"

"Did you just call her a Yak?"

etc

Hahahaha, "By gawd, you just called that woman a yak! Hurrr, sassafras..."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

See: Omega, Kenny from about December 2018 on, which led us to Jay White, IWGP Champ.

Wait, what? How is that even comparable to what Eddie was saying?

Hogan, Nash, Hall, etc. were in it solely for themselves to the detriment of the company. Kenny wanted to be able to work AEW and NJPW, but NJPW wouldn't have it so Kenny stuck with his decision to run with his buddies and try to start something new. 

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thinks the Elite are going to do this, outside of the fact that most wrestlers selfishly push themselves when given the opportunity. Most of the time, that's purely ego-driven, and outside of maybe Kenny, I don't think these guys are that full of themselves. They should be given the benefit of a doubt.

• Like 2