DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

22 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

As I understand it, Dragon Gate is number 2 in japan but nowhere near the level of NJPW (so basically like how ROH is right now #2 even though they're no threat to WWE). No idea about exclusive contracts though. 

Are you sure it's not DDT instead?

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m not big on his name, but I gotta admit the dude has potential just based on his athleticism.

I've seen his ROH work and he reminds me a lot of Chris Kanyon in the Mortis gimmick.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Jericho apparently retweeted this.

I picked up the Benoit vibe on the pants, but didn't want to bring it up and ruin the good vibe I was feeling after the show.

Are they taping Fyter Fest or Fight for the Fallen at all? 

I also wonder how ticket sales will do for this. Meltzer said they have the seating configured for about 2500.

Here's the direct quote:

Daytona Beach on 6/29, the over/under would be the 2,350 that the similar CEO show did in the market last year with Omega, Kota Ibushi and Tetsuya Naito as the top stars and now it’s Omega, Young Bucks and Cody.

I'm curious about a couple things. The Ocean Center holds a capacity 9,312. I don't know if they sell out for essentially a house show but with the matches announced right now even with Pac's involved slim to none I think they do better than 2300.  CEO put the show last year on their twitch and the matches besides the Chasyn Rance match are still up on the CEO YouTube. I wonder if they are gonna do something similar this time around or not.

I' be surprised if Fight for the Fallen isn't available in some form of streaming maybe on B/R and/or Fite. More money for charity is my thinking.

Also this is what Meltzer said about that shows tickets, both of these quotes are from the 4/29 Observer btw:

The 7/13 show in Jacksonville had about 1,000 tickets left (set up for 5,180) after the first day of ticket sales to the general public. It wasn’t the instant sellout, but I don’t know that anyone expected a local market show in Jacksonville to have that kind of a ticket run.

4 hours ago, AverageKong said:

Sadie was rumored to be contracted several months ago. Weird that they're just announcing it now. There were several female names that were announced as signed talent, but they didnt make appearances at DON and I haven't seen them announced for any shows (Sadie, Bea, Penelope). 

Sadie reminds me of Shantelle Taylor/Taylor Wilde and Athena/Ember Moon. 

Sadie had a hype video on the Buy-In preshow.

Another couple of stray thoughts:

- It's too bad Brian Pillman Jr appears to be only a one-off at Double or Nothing based on AEW's roster page. I feel like he has a real star presence and along with MJF is one of those guys in their early 20's who could explode over the next couple of years.

- I caught the few seconds of Yuka Sakazaki's theme that played during her entrance, thought it sounded pretty nuts then listening again in isolation, it really is like someone vomiting anime rainbows into your earholes. 

In full agreement on the skits decision, although I'm not sure how they square that with the expectations of the hardcore BTE fans and the sensibilities that Bucks and Scurll (assuming he turns up later in the year) have shown in their content. They have to make sure the vision doesn't become schizophrenic as they move forward.

I did wonder during the Tony Khan media scrum when challenged on the Cody sledgehammer thing, he alluded to every person having their own individual motivation and giving them an outlet to do that. That felt a bit too 'inmates running the asylum'. But, the evidence so far is that he's a solid leader and everything came together well so no reason to be concerned.

Regarding the Moxley 'Paradigm Shift', I loved the passion and the unleashing of pent up energy, although it felt to me like a jarring tonal shift from BAMF who will run through everyone with sadistic pleasure that we saw on the PPV to 'ra ra go Team AEW' when he said he will fight anyone who stands in AEW's way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Are they taping Fyter Fest or Fight for the Fallen at all? 

I also wonder how ticket sales will do for this. Meltzer said they have the seating configured for about 2500.

Here's the direct quote:

I'm curious about a couple things. The Ocean Center holds a capacity 9,312. I don't know if they sell out for essentially a house show but with the matches announced right now even with Pac's involved slim to none I think they do better than 2300.  CEO put the show last year on their twitch and the matches besides the Chasyn Rance match are still up on the CEO YouTube. I wonder if they are gonna do something similar this time around or not.

I' be surprised if Fight for the Fallen isn't available in some form of streaming maybe on B/R and/or Fite. More money for charity is my thinking.

Also this is what Meltzer said about that shows tickets, both of these quotes are from the 4/29 Observer btw:

I'd expect similar.  It didn't sell out last year, but came pretty close (I was there)   last year the main event went all out and was as good as the 12/15 Lovers vs Tana/Ospreay match.

Still trying to wrap my head around B/R being a destination streaming service, but I hope it does well for them.

I also want AEW Jesus to be a regular thing. He can be like AEW's Sign Guy. I will be curious to see how well the first show does on TNT and if any of the IWC buzz can translate into ratings at all.

The UI for B/R is such a shit show. When I had my stream going it was always flawless, but on Roku, I couldn't pause or rewind and on Android, my feed eventually just stopped, kicked me back to the menu, and I couldn't finish watching the PPV. I was behind in watching it all night and when it cut out it was right when Bucks vs Lucha Bros. started. So it's not like I missed much and I caught the last two matches via other means.

The next day I re-watched the whole show on my TV instead of my phone (couldn't use my TV the night of because my daughter had a slumber party and they were bouncing around every room in the house until almost midnight) and it looked just as great then.

B/R Live is dog shit compared to the Network or MLB.TV and ESPN+ is better than B/R Live too. I'm hoping for a different way to watch PPVs for cord cutters, but for now, B/R Live looks to be the main way.

• RIPPA locked this topic