DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It makes sense. Back in the day, you never would have seen Shawn Michaels tweet out his excitement about Starrcade. 

Well, there was no Twitter at the time. If there was, Michaels would have probably been too fucked up to tweet a coherent thought anyway.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people who tweeted about the show are talent that are currently frustrated and/or leaving when their deals expire (Sasha, Naomi, Karl Anderson). Big E kinda just does whatever he wants on his Twitter, and Peyton was going to mention it even if no one else did because Shawn Spears was on the show.

Edited by Casey

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Xavier tweeted about it too. 

Everybody is practically untouchable right now with a 2nd money promotion. The workers have too much leverage in re-negotiations. Sure some people have been punished on TV as a warning, but how serious can you take that punishment when Vince might offer you several times what your previous contract was just to stay, and then it’s up to the other company to counter offer.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people who tweeted about the show are talent that are currently frustrated and/or leaving when their deals expire (Sasha, Naomi, Karl Anderson). Big E kinda just does whatever he wants on his Twitter, and Peyton was going to mention it even if no one else did because Shawn Spears was on the show.

Would you characterize Sami as being in that boat? El Generico was among those tweeting on Saturday. 

Genuinely asking. I have no read on what's in Sami's head. 

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Shhh...don't speak that name. He's like Freddy Krueger.

...and don't say his name fives times in a mirror, or you summon his black cousin that has a hook hand, fur coat, and is covered in bees

Slick?

James

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Would you characterize Sami as being in that boat? El Generico was among those tweeting on Saturday. 

That's two different people, man. Generico retired a few years ago, quiet like.

5 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

It's not surprising at all, but I do think it's interesting that AEW's first Weekly Pro Wrestling cover features Omega, and not Moxley or Jericho, both of whom have big matches at Dominion.

I guess it is because most of us assume Moxley and Jericho are going to be more or less one-shots. 

AEW signed Sadie Gibbs..although it might have actually happened in March according to some reports.

Sadie Gibbs is quite the talent. She reminds me of Hangman Page because she can fight small and do the flips etc..but she is also very tough in the ring and can fight big..brawling.

• Like 2

Generico wrestled Omega at Double Or Nothing according to Excalibur's call.

And since that thread is closed, I will give my Double Or Nothing thoughts here.  WILD CARD!

I like a tunnel entrance but one would've sufficed.  Keith Mitchell clearly missed that jib cam.  If you really feel the need to do crowd shots then do it the lucha way and just shoot the pretty girls.

Popping off fireworks for the Kulture City girl and putting the guy who points his finger and goes bang in the main event of the gun violence show both seem pretty tone deaf.

Right opener for this show.  All the men's tag matches essentially had the same finish tough.  Double team head spike off the ropes.

Women's four-way would've been better as a one on one with just Baker and Rae since the big girls spent most of the time on the floor and didn't look very good when they were in.

Refs telegraphed the two run-ins by leaving guys dying in the ring to just stand at ringside.  Jack Evans laying there having a seizure and Remsburg just casually stands outside like everything's fine.  Did he take his shirt off and put on a mask and join in with those guys no one cared about?

Cody Rhodes is just like Triple H in that he's a ratshit heel but he still wants the adulation of the crowd.  That was good but too long and too many Crossroads counters.  Aping Dusty's plea to Dustin to be his partner was a bit much.  The Young Bucks ain't no Terry Funk and Bunkhouse Buck.

Tony Schiavone was not interested in fist bumping Kenny Omega.  Jericho and Moxley obviously signed for fancy pants with extraneous zippers.

The last 3 matches were just way too long.  There were spots shown in the Bucks/Luchas replay that I didn't remember at all.  Just because you've got 4 hours reserved doesn't mean you have to use it all.

Wins and losses are important so it's important to note that prior to DON, AEW's top title contenders in 2019 were Page at 1-1*, Jericho at 0-1, and Omega at 0-2.  PAC had a bunch of wins though.  PAC the real champ.

*0-1 prior to the PAC match.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

AEW signed Sadie Gibbs..although it might have actually happened in March according to some reports.

Sadie Gibbs is quite the talent. She reminds me of Hangman Page because she can fight small and do the flips etc..but she is also very tough in the ring and can fight big..brawling.

Sadie was rumored to be contracted several months ago. Weird that they're just announcing it now. There were several female names that were announced as signed talent, but they didnt make appearances at DON and I haven't seen them announced for any shows (Sadie, Bea, Penelope). 

Sadie reminds me of Shantelle Taylor/Taylor Wilde and Athena/Ember Moon. 

1 hour ago, AverageKong said:

Sadie was rumored to be contracted several months ago. Weird that they're just announcing it now. There were several female names that were announced as signed talent, but they didnt make appearances at DON and I haven't seen them announced for any shows (Sadie, Bea, Penelope). 

Maybe spacing it out so people can be seen or talked about. One downside to Double or Nothing was I saw a lot of people for maybe the first time and I couldn't remember half of them. Would you rather be announced but not booked or not booked, but one of the first people announced after the big show.

Penelope was at DoN with Joey Janela. She certainly could be heard shreiking when Janela went through the table.

4 hours ago, BEN! said:

Popping off fireworks for the Kulture City girl and putting the guy who points his finger and goes bang in the main event of the gun violence show both seem pretty tone deaf.

While I am not bothered by either happening, you should be awarded a medal for noticing them. 

Hella hella funny.

I actually get why Jericho would do something like that, since he's elucidated his complicated thoughts on Benoit already. I think it's a little stranger that some fan loves him "even more" for it.

• Like 4

Bea is a full time Stardom roster member now. Her AEW appearances will be infrequent.

They did announce Bea Priestly for FftFallen on Nightmare Family* a while back. Seemed odd that they would promote her for the second show when the first one hadn't happened yet, but a) It shows forward planning, and b) There can't be that many people who wouldn't buy an AEW PPV unless Bea Priestly was on it. I'm not saying she won't get over with their fans, she's already over with some of them, but I think it's just the core five of the Elite (plus Dustin and Jericho) who are the needle movers for the promotion right now.

At All In, I actually thought Cody vs Nick Aldis was the best match. Even though Cody's a great athlete, his matches are really more emotional stories than athletic exhibitions (and him trying to complete the first father/ son NWA World title dynasty was built up brilliantly (more on 10lbs o'Gold, though, really). So I hope for Cody's sake that the promotion has some good angles to give his matches a narrative impetus. Obviously he has quite a lot of say in the matter, so it probably will.

Hey, maybe before NJPW dumps RoH, Corgan can dump them instead and we can get Dustin Rhodes going after the NWA title... 25 years after he probably should have won his first reign. The Rhodes family could finally pass the Funks for NWA reigns. But not total days as Champion.

* Cody & Brandy's YouTube channel. It's like BTE, only serious.

• Like 2