DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Best look at the AEW World Championship:

D7dbTqTXYAEoAAG?format=jpg&name=small

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Image result for mid south north american title

For reference, as Cody mentioned this is what they were going for.

Make it boxier, also gold, and you have a winner. Don’t like the individual shapes of the plates.

• Like 4

Just now, Oyaji said:

I don't think Punk will wrestle for AEW and even if he were he best not come with that uninspired shit he was bringing the last year or so of his WWE run. 

If he were to come to AEW, I doubt he’d be sick as a dog and stuck in a feud with Ryback. So there’s that. 

19 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of the Bucks going way too long. Shame because the tag match was going great until they decided to turn it into a kick-out fest.

The Super Smash Bros. debut bombed. Probably the only segment that died.

I'm surprised it did, but I guess a good chunk of the audience weren't familiar with the SSB. I remember hearing the SSB had signed, but never heard anything after that. It didn't get any hype, but now I'm glad it didn't. I loved their debut and their army of followers.

Thought the preshow battle royal was super cringeworthy full of terrible stuff and ridiculously predictable which hurt it even more, not the best first look to grab new viewers at all.. followed by some of the worst attempt at comedy I've ever seen backstage. If I was unfamiliar with the product, I would've been scared off right then. Brandon Cutler completely no selling the Fameasser, fuck that.. Thankfully the rest of the show was pretty good.

First few matches were fine, thought Britt Baker shined and looked real good. Then everyone looked great in the joshi tag. Love Hikaru Shida, who I'm most familiar with outside of Aja, but enjoyed everyone here. What was it JR said yesterday or whenever that was being referenced earlier? Speaking of JR, thought he did a great job throughout.

Cody/Dustin delivered the goods as hoped, most anticipated match by far. Incredible dramatic spectacle with a real old school feel and a crazy amount of bloodshed. Great stuff. Didn't mind the Bucks/Lucha tag and thought the main event was good. Kinda surprised to see Omega lose just like that right out the gate, but Jericho probably needed a big win. Not huge on Moxley being this big deal after just seeing him stale as ever a couple months ago , especially if he's a heel here, but the execution of the post-match was done well so I hope it does end up as a return to form for him. Overall a pretty fun show.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If he were to come to AEW, I doubt he’d be sick as a dog and stuck in a feud with Ryback. So there’s that. 

Definitely would help his case. Although Ryback is still out there clotheslining overweight women into pools somewhere and possibly looking for work once he gets sued for killing somebody with one of his tainted supplements.

Just throw the SSB in there with the Bucks and they'll get over. Put them in a ladder match with the Bucks and Lucha Bros and they'll be stars. That match with the Bucks and Future Shock is still my favourite PWG match. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

I liked the Yoshi 6 Ma... the Joshi trios match. The small one that reminded me of Rikku from FFX is quite fun to watch. 

Cody asking Dustin to be his partner/brother was a cool throwback to Dusty pleading with Dustin to be his partner against Funk & Anderson.

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't think Punk will wrestle for AEW and even if he were he best not come with that uninspired shit he was bringing the last year or so of his WWE run. But Punk strikes me as a guy who doesn't really do things just for money, has enough for what he needs, and will never work with Vince McMahon or Triple H again. They could go 8 digits and I don't think he does it.

Wrestlers, are wrestlers, and at the end of the day money talks. Punks the same guy who took a shit ton of money to fight for the UFC, and he didn’t help pay his friends legal fees(Justified, or not).

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He wanted to do MMA though. He loathes the McMahons.

Tons of people hated working with Vince in the past, but they’ve all come back eventually for the right amount of money. I personally wouldn’t mind even if I had animosity towards someone. As long as I can live even more comfortably. 

Let the offers come in!

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He wanted to do MMA though. He loathes the McMahons.

He was making that big money calling CFFC tonight with John Morgan, who I guess wasn't allowed to wear his trademark blue polo shirt.

But yeah, I don't see Punk coming to AEW anytime soon either.

• Haha 1

Okay something I really loved tonight about the production that nobody has touched yet. All the commentators shut the fuck up during entrances. If this was TNA, or even WWE they would’ve been like “We know who Cody’s sending a message too”. They just stayed quiet. So nice to get something like that.

• Like 1

I think my main complaint is that all the ring music for every wrestler sounds the same, nothing stands out to make you say "Aw shit! That Guy is coming!". I literally was waiting for camera to cut to the video screen most of the night to know who was coming out

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MJF was a real star tonight. Dudes another guy Stanford should also be looking closely at, and somebody AEW should keep to themselves. The guy just has that polished superstar natural charisma some guys aren’t born with, and he’s only 23! Unbelievable TV wrestling talent.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

MJF was a real star tonight. Dudes another guy Stanford should also be looking closely at, and somebody AEW should keep to themselves. The guy just has that polished superstar natural charisma some guys aren’t born with, and he’s only 23! Unbelievable TV wrestling talent.

MJF is so money, baby. 

...and he knows it

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I loved this show. Cody and Dustin was everything I wanted it to be. Lucha Bros. vs. Young Bucks went too long but I liked what they did in a vacuum because it was important to show a lot of the cool and unique things they and the Bros. can do to a bigger audience. 

Women's match was real solid,  I think a Dr. Britt vs. Kylie singles match could be really good.  

• Like 2

On to the ending,  LOVED it. I didn't think it was a standard RAW ending at all.  On RAW,  the guy debuts and DDTs both men and then taunts and Michael Cole screams and that's the end of it.  

This was smarter. Omega got caught with Jericho's new move and lost here.  But Omega is their top guy.  So to have Jon Moxley show up and DDT both of them would have seen Omega get hit with back to back finishers which I always think is lame.  

Instead Omega fights off Moxley for a bit and shows his fighting spirit and they pile into the crowd,  crowd is going BONKERS at this point and then finally Mox lays him out on the staging. It made it feel like anything can happen in AEW.  It made Mox look like a star and it protected Omega too. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Kinda hope his daughter doesn't see that one.  "Yeah, you being born was cool and all, but that night I bladed a little too deep and a ton of nerds lost their shit over it... Greatest night ever."

I know what he meant, but that's a retrospect moment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Instead Omega fights off Moxley for a bit and shows his fighting spirit and they pile into the crowd,  crowd is going BONKERS at this point and then finally Mox lays him out on the staging. It made it feel like anything can happen in AEW.  It made Mox look like a star and it protected Omega too. 

I don't get how it protects Omega? He lost the match to Jericho clean and then was again taken out by Moxley.