DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

4 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Everything from the Joshi match onwards was gold (save for th Young Bucks, fuck they annoy me) but then that ending segment made think I was watching RAW

James

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of the Bucks going way too long. Shame because the tag match was going great until they decided to turn it into a kick-out fest.

The Super Smash Bros. debut bombed. Probably the only segment that died.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It was a good show.  Flawed,  some points to tighten up, but good.  But it wasn't anything I haven't seen before.  It didn't win me.   The Joshi match was great.  Cody/Dustin was Cody's best match outside of NJPW ever, even with the kicking out of 3 Crossrhodes each.  Fuck the Bucks, that match was every one of their worst tendencies laid bare with both teams not selling a fucking thing and doing a super-powered PWG match where finishers meant nothing.  Kenny/Jericho was ok, but was probably the worst Jericho has looked and finishing with his shitty elbow 30 minutes after The Bucks and the Lucha Bros were kicking out of Canadian Destroyers and tombstones etc for 10 minutes was odd.  Moxley was neat, but the end was a standard ending.

Too many petty shots at someone who's not going to really lose any sleep over this, as it wasn't going to win anyone that wasn't already signed on.  It was a paint-by-numbers RoH/Impact show with an attempt to ape the NJPW Main style but with a guys that need someone to reel them in.

• Like 4

No problems with the B/R feed. Only hiccups at all were in the preshow.

• Excalibur did a HELL of a job carrying the booth. Ross, except for that one point he got lost in the woods,  was the best I'd heard him in years. Marvez was there and didn't embarrass himself.
  • I marked hard for the return of Awesome Kong. I hope she and Aja team up to ragdoll girls.
  • Much was made of Kylie being AEW's Bayley. I think Yuka Sakazaki is better suited for it. She's more natural and less "try hard" about it. Also, Emi Sakura dressing as Freddie Mercury means she's the best in the world. end of story.
  • I actually prefer Jericho -v- Omega II to the first match. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That Cracker Barrell sponsorship was real fucking goofy. I hope AEW got good money out of that, and a meal named after them.

I think Jericho was expecting the barrell to be lighter.

No need for bitter takes here. That was the show they both wanted and needed. They managed to do a lot of things that I wasn't sure if they would be able to do, or wasn't even expecting them to - book a five-hour pomp and/or circumstance PPV that felt fresh, engaging and relevant in 2019. make JR get all hyped for a show-closing brawl, find a good balance with their undercard goofy shit, etc.

the fact that they were able to do a no filler PPV, have an all-time-classic bloodbath that had the whole booth crying, make their women's division seem relevant, have as many big-name surprises as they did, and successfully end on a cliffhanger is great news in and of itself, but when you consider that this was supposed to be the launching pad for a brand that is seriously expected to compete with the WWE - maybe not in a worldwide entertainment sense, but in a weekly pro-wrestling sense - then yeah man. They actually went out and did the damn thing.

I could be a grump and dog the Bucks match - Christ, after all that Matt-selling-the-back stuff in NJPW I thought they might have figured it out. I guess we'll have to wait for them to actually get old before they get good. The Smash Bros. thing was awful. Allie isn't a natural when it comes to commentary. OK, whatever. I've picked my nits. They ran this thing in May, and the important thing was to outpace Mania. They did it handily.

Also - Excalibur? Whoa dude. You've never sounded that good.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That Cracker Barrell sponsorship was real fucking goofy. I hope AEW got good money out of that, and a meal named after them.

Somewhere right now, Scott Steiner is tearing apart a phone book in anger that someone stole "His Deal"

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Haha 1

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sounds like Fenix and the Bucks helped themselves to the minutes they didn’t get at All In.

I wondered the same thing about twenty minutes in. Thought the Bucks would have put them over to make up for that, wonder if AAA had anything to do with the booking.

That Rhodes match was one of my favourite North American matches this decade. Un-fucking-real. Had me in tears with those Dustin facial reactions. Worth the price of admission alone. You guys wanted blood and...

b5c621163519195bd4f400bf3e4c3113.gif

My friend who was following along on twitter came at me with that "double blade job." Naw dawg. All Natural.

Opener was fire and Tony's attempt at recreating the Mpro Barely Legal match. First women's match wasn't good and while everybody, myself included, lost their shit for Kong, she was throwing some weak shit out there. They need to tighten their shit up and hopefully they get some of the Japanese women in with the North Americans because that was pretty bad. I watched a Britt/Kylie match that's on YT last night and it was significantly better than this. Thankfully the Japanese women brought it and I was so anxious about the crowd just taking it off but they were super into it and it warmed my heart. Those women worked their asses off to establish each character as unique while keeping the pace up the entire match. Fucking great stuff! Bucks went full on flashback to movez with not enough spacing or thought put into them. And what of the new finish they were hinting at? Was that the long list of ode to moves? Anyway, I really think they're tremendous but this wasn't their best effort and the kind of stuff that got them vilified in the first place. Penta and Fenix are wonderful and all but they are just as guilty of excess so it was four guys playing off each others' worst tendencies. Main event was going along nicely and at the "really darn good" level (not near their NJPW match level but that's okay) up until the botch. Thankfully none of that shit matters because that Moxley debut was unbelievable/perfection and will get the headlines and attention the company wants coming out of their debut. I do wonder if they'll get sued for very likely producing the Moxley video that was released right after his WWE contract expired. Production was pretty weak besides My Man Excalibur (looking sharp in the suit!) and the big ass chips (WCW!). The tunnels are way too TNA for my liking even if I thought they looked cool before TNA TNA'd themselves into TNA oblivion. So many missed camera shots, botches, JR forgetting where he was, etc. I get it, it's their first show as a crew and it will take time so I'll be forgiving but they need to improve with the next three shows before the TNT deal starts. JR in colour commentary role is actually far less offensive than I thought and he did an admirable job compared to what he's been churning out the last 3 or whatever years. Even Hebner was inoffensive. The MJEFF, Page, belt segment was fantastic too. His sell job on the Havoc punch with his eyes bulging out of his head as he spun around was fucking comedic gold, as was his promo. Instant star. Belt looks gorgeous. Big yes to that. All In 2 featuring Page/Jericho with Jericho winning to start off as the big top guy while they get going on TNT makes sense even if he's way too ambitious for what his body can do. Omega/Mox will tear the house down. They brought it in that post-match brawl and that bump was gnarly. No shitty plywood box with cables and padding on that one though of course that part of the stage would've been gimmicked to some extent.

Pre-show battle royal was fun but had too much going on and set the tone for the production miscues. Still, it did the job and was enjoyable. Janela tweeted out that he's alive. For how much longer tho? I think Sammy Guevara is pretty darn good and could be great given time but that was the Just A Matchiest of all JAMs. That other dude can do his little appeal right across the Atlantic. So bad.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I wondered the same thing about twenty minutes in. Thought the Bucks would have put them over to make up for that, wonder if AAA had anything to do with the booking.

Apparently,  there's another Bucks/Bros match for the belts in AAA next month. So yeah. 

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s the sound of Vince coming with the money to prevent that.

I don't think Punk will wrestle for AEW and even if he were he best not come with that uninspired shit he was bringing the last year or so of his WWE run. But Punk strikes me as a guy who doesn't really do things just for money, has enough for what he needs, and will never work with Vince McMahon or Triple H again. They could go 8 digits and I don't think he does it.