DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

It never occurred to me till right now that Tony Khan is playing this like I would play EWR back in the day.

Start new promotion, starting money to max, sign the best free agents, wait a few weeks till WWE cut a bunch of guys then sign the ones I wanted, add the best tv slot  I could get.

Would not be surprised if Tony Khan’s PA is named Sophie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Casey said:
  • "AEW to TNT had been talked about by AEW President Tony Khan and Kevin Reilly, the President of TNT and TBS, for nearly one year, even predating All In. But the first actual serious negotiations started in mid-November. Khan had promised a strong roster in those negotiations and was able to sign every key person he had promised."

A few red flags in that Meltzer report, but this one stuck out in my mind. Who the hell did Tony Khan promise to Kevin Reilly that he delivered on? Am I supposed to believe Kevin Reilly knows about the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, etc.? 

Edited by TheVileOne

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

A few red flags in that Meltzer report, but this one stuck out in my mind. Who the hell did Tony Khan promise to Kevin Reilly that he delivered on? Am I supposed to believe Kevin Reilly knows about the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, etc.? 

Probably showed him a highlight real of guys, and a detailed rundown of their potential market value. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I'm sure he promised Jericho and delivered on that, as well.

There's a piece up on Bleacher Report about AEW, and towards the end of it, Cody says there's wrestlers outside of the office positions/EVPs who have health insurance in their contracts.

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

There's a piece up on Bleacher Report about AEW, and towards the end of it, Cody says there's wrestlers outside of the office positions/EVPs who have health insurance in their contracts.

Here is the BR article

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836546-how-aew-was-born-inside-tony-khan-and-the-elites-attempt-to-disrupt-wrestling

I am amused at the part where basically you can't work for the company if you don't know who Lou Thesz was

Also - there is a lot of Cody being all "Trust the process! I would never lie to you!" in it

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the BR article

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836546-how-aew-was-born-inside-tony-khan-and-the-elites-attempt-to-disrupt-wrestling

I am amused at the part where basically you can't work for the company if you don't know who Lou Thesz was

Also - there is a lot of Cody being all "Trust the process! I would never lie to you!" in it

I picked up on that in a lot of his quotes, and I get that it was kind of a softball article being that they are under the same corporate umbrella. I do wonder what will be the company's first major problem and how they react to it.

Yeah but we all need to remember: we're not who they are catering to by bringing in JR and Hebner and doing the bikini shoots. They're trying to grab those fans who quit watching 10+ years ago with stuff that those fans remember. MJF, Joey Janella, The Best Friends.... these are all great signings to get US to watch. But those guys aren't going to grab a lapsed fan if they're flipping through the channels or someone sends them an article about AEW on Facebook because "Hey you used to watch this stuff, right?". You know what is? 

"Hey is that Chris Jericho? It is. I'll be damned. And that's Earl Hebner refereeing the match.... and Jim Ross calling it? Maybe I'll check this out."

That's why those guys are there. That's why the bikini shoots. They've already got you, and me, and probably everyone else on this board. They're trying to get our friends who used to watch but don't anymore, and don't even follow it online. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm sure he promised Jericho and delivered on that, as well.

Jericho is one guy. I just find it hard believe Kevin Reilly said "Deliver me Jericho, Omega, and the Young Bucks, and you got yourself a TV deal."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Jericho is one guy. I just find it hard believe Kevin Reilly said "Deliver me Jericho, Omega, and the Young Bucks, and you got yourself a TV deal."

That's probably where a highlight reel plus some numbers on t-shirt sales and social media stats came in. I would be willing to bet The Bucks gave him some data on their PWT sales to present. Hell, if he showed them highlights from ROH shows, that right there would push how over their merch is. I'd guess that would help a TV exec feel there's a big potential audience in this. 

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Yeah but we all need to remember: we're not who they are catering to by bringing in JR and Hebner and doing the bikini shoots. They're trying to grab those fans who quit watching 10+ years ago with stuff that those fans remember. MJF, Joey Janella, The Best Friends.... these are all great signings to get US to watch. But those guys aren't going to grab a lapsed fan if they're flipping through the channels or someone sends them an article about AEW on Facebook because "Hey you used to watch this stuff, right?". You know what is? 

"Hey is that Chris Jericho? It is. I'll be damned. And that's Earl Hebner refereeing the match.... and Jim Ross calling it? Maybe I'll check this out."

That's why those guys are there. That's why the bikini shoots. They've already got you, and me, and probably everyone else on this board. They're trying to get our friends who used to watch but don't anymore, and don't even follow it online. 

Glenn Gilberti's wrestling philosophy right here, guys only watch women's wrestling for tits. Bad route to go down, IMO.

Inviting women's bodies to be admired, or even sexualized, doesn't necessarily mean people are looking to turn the clock back twenty years on women's wrestling. It's crazy that I even feel the need to state that. Especially with how much your EVPs seem to take care to be "woke."

Don't look at me like that. I am not a crackpot! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Inviting women's bodies to be admired, or even sexualized, doesn't necessarily mean people are looking to turn the clock back twenty years on women's wrestling. It's crazy that I even feel the need to state that. Especially with how much your EVPs seem to take care to be "woke."

Don't look at me like that. I am not a crackpot! 

People do know about joshi photobooks right?