DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

6 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Not sure where they could air in Canada. Sportsnet isn't taking them because of WWE, TSN has shown zero interest in wrestling since they got rid of WWE, and The Fight Network might take a pass because they own Impact.

While TSN hasn't done wrestling since WWE, the Kenny documentary thing a few months ago (even though it was part of a larger documentary series) suggests that somebody there is aware something's out there which people might be interested in. 

One of TSN's football columnists was also for some reason tweeting earlier about the details of AEW's TNT deal.

I'm stretching. Everything's wishful thinking at this point. Like you said, Sportsnet is a definite no. 

• Like 1

If it weren't for the fact that they're backed by so much money I'd say the elevated PPV price is to play on the hype for their first show for a quick influx of cash. Wondering if they'll drop the price for later events or if they'll really try to make every PPV such a big deal that it earns that much money. It doesn't seem sustainable to me.

Meltzer has always talked about how raising ppv prices has never hurt buys for wrestling, mma or boxing. If you present an event that people really want to see, they will pay for it. 

I do get that this is a unique situation because we are all used to streaming services and as much hype as there is, this is still sort of a cold opening ppv. Also, my $36.70 ticket is considerably cheaper than people will have to pay to watch at home. Does seem too high. 

I’ll admit I do have an itch to buy it even with the reservations. It’s that wrestling bug in my blood. Sometimes it takes ahold of me, and I do the dumb things to my bank account.

Edit: Looking over the app on my Fire TV. What do I see next to AEW? The Alliance of American Football. Yikes... They need to build this shit around AEW pronto.

Edit 2: Jeez, all these obscure sports. This is like a modern Deuce.

Edit 3:PGA Golf is free as shit, at least.

Edit 4: These free ONE Muay Thai shows look cool. It’s weird that they essentially traded a boxing aesthetic for an MMA one even if they don’t appear to do any subs or anything on the ground.  

Edit 5: Holy shit they got a fake Lenne Hardt on this ONE show. It’s not even the fake one from New Japan. It’s a whole different raspy lady doing it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 hours ago, Hagan said:

Unless I'm wildly off, and I don't think I am, that TNT tweet is a call back to Ted Turner calling Vince after buying WCW and telling him "Vince, I'm in the rasslin' business" and Vince replying something along the lines of "I'm in the entertainment business."

He only got into the Entertainment business in 2002. Before that he was in the Federation business.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

He got the "F" out. ?

I'd like to see an animated short of a panda dressed as Deebo in Friday knocking out Vince. Animated Chris Tucker then tells Vince, "You got knocked the fuck out!".

LSD might also make that possible.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

If they're serious about stats then they should bring in Scott Steiner.

JR: "Let's go to Mookie and Tony with our analytics breakdown of the week.  Back in my day an analytics breakdown was what you took when you were all backed up, bah gawd."

*SIRENS blare*

"If you're talking numbers and stats, then you don't go to the horse's ass, you go to the genetic freak that's hung like a horse and that's a fact!  I'm a college educated man and I heard that AWE was a progressive company and there ain't nobody more progressive than the Big Bad Booty Daddy!  I please all my freaks equally.  Now let's breakdown the numbers.  I'm looking out at this mass of fatass and I'm seeing a male to female ratio of 5000 to 1 and those 2 ain't nowhere near hot enough to even being in the bottom 1% of my freaks.  Now we look at diversty and you people are 98% white trash.  And you break it down a little more to the demos and 87% care way too much about a cartoon hedgehog and not enough about a little beaver.  You add all that up and that's not how you spell progress...cause Big Poppa Pump is your hookup.  HOLLER IF YOU HEAR ME!"

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, BEN! said:

If they're serious about stats then they should bring in Scott Steiner.

JR: "Let's go to Mookie and Tony with our analytics breakdown of the week.  Back in my day an analytics breakdown was what you took when you were all backed up, bah gawd."

*SIRENS blare*

"If you're talking numbers and stats, then you don't go to the horse's ass, you go to the genetic freak that's hung like a horse and that's a fact!  I'm a college educated man and I heard that AWE was a progressive company and there ain't nobody more progressive than the Big Bad Booty Daddy!  I please all my freaks equally.  Now let's breakdown the numbers.  I'm looking out at this mass of fatass and I'm seeing a male to female ratio of 5000 to 1 and those 2 ain't nowhere near hot enough to even being in the bottom 1% of my freaks.  Now we look at diversty and you people are 98% white trash.  And you break it down a little more to the demos and 87% care way too much about a cartoon hedgehog and not enough about a little beaver.  You add all that up and that's not how you spell progress...cause Big Poppa Pump is your hookup.  HOLLER IF YOU HEAR ME!"

Needs more incoherent math

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Malls ain't what they used to be. They'd be lucky to find one with a Sbarro. More like some dude selling old ladies CBD to cure their arthritis.

There is one close to me, but then again, it's in a mall not even 15 minutes away from the main campus of the University of Arkansas.

That reminds me I need to go there again.

You know what I would really enjoy from this AEW show on TNT? If they wouldn't cut to commercial during a fucking match. WWE goes to commercial during every match. I'd rather get a 15 minute match uninterrupted followed by a five minute break then missing a match. Pro Wrestling should be primary not secondary on a Pro Wrestling broadcast.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

You know what I really really enjoy from this AEW show on TNT? If they wouldn't cut to commercial during a fucking match. WWE goes to commercial during every match. I'd rather get a 15 minute match uninterrupted followed by a five minute break then missing a match. Pro Wrestling should be primary not secondary on a Pro Wrestling broadcast.

I think so many people wanted longer matches on Raw or SmackDown and Vince probably took that as having multiple matches that spanned more than 1 commercial break.

I agree though, I just want less matches that are interrupted by 2 or more commercial breaks. 1 at the most and maybe 1 match that has a commercial break in the middle of it.

• Like 2

I don't mind cutting to break after the last wrestler makes their entrance IF they wait until they return from commercial to ring the bell to start the match. have the wrestlers spar on the mic during the commercial break whip the crowd into a frenzy and come back from commercial hot.    

Re: Commercial breaks, my issue was more that they all used to happen after the same sequence of events each time when I was watching WWE. 

You know what I miss? Color commentators saying, "We'll bring the ending of this match to you on replay if it ends during the break" and varied locations in the matches for breaks rather than *match starts, heel jumps face, face makes comeback and tosses heel out of the ring/maybe topes onto him and then gets up and taunts, and commercial break* every fucking time. 

But also some matches shouldn't have commercial breaks because some matches shouldn't last long enough to need one. Vary match lengths, vary the placement of breaks, don't have the same fucking chain of events happen to signal that a break is coming up, and I'll be good.

• Like 4

$50 for a PPV just isn't going to work when you've got $9-10 a month for NJPW World and WWE.  I got a feeling the good ship reddit is going to do excellent business though.

For AEW to succeed, they're going to have to get an AEW network and fast.  I don't know how they're going to do this though.

Edited by alstein

If what folks are saying about the TV deal is true, then without rights fees, PPV and live events are going to be their bread and butter for a really long time, and I'm just really worried no one is gonna want to fork over $50 for AEW, when the more proven WWF is $10. For better or worse, the Network has changed peoples' expectations. I couldn't tell you the last WWE TV I watched but I still try to catch every PPV because I'm already paying for it, so they already got me. Even if the stuffing instead of potatoes is fucking abysmal right now,