DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hebner and JR are the signings I could have done without.

I get the JR move because he is the voice of mainstream wrestling for the last 25 years but damn..  he couldn't have sounded less enthusiastic on recent events. Plus,  he didn't spend any time at all researching the characters or the stories etc.  To me that was unprofessional. I hope because he'll be around AEW every week that he will improve but I am not gonna hold my breath on that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I get the JR move because he is the voice of mainstream wrestling for the last 25 years but damn..  he couldn't have sounded less enthusiastic on recent events. Plus,  he didn't spend any time at all researching the characters or the stories etc.  To me that was unprofessional. I hope because he'll be around AEW every week that he will improve but I am not gonna hold my breath on that. 

JR and Earl should only be assigned to Dustin Rhodes matches.

JR in theory is a familiar voice for fans new to AEW's roster. That does go a long way with casual fans, at least from my experiences in attempting to convert WWE fans to indy wrestling. He needs to learn himself though. 

I'll say this, Cornette does a good job in MLW of crafting a story on commentary. JR can help people jump right in if he can channel good ol' JR.

But again, for I think my third and last time, screw Hebner. Subtraction via addition.

Unless I'm wildly off, and I don't think I am, that TNT tweet is a call back to Ted Turner calling Vince after buying WCW and telling him "Vince, I'm in the rasslin' business" and Vince replying something along the lines of "I'm in the entertainment business."

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Lost in the hullabaloo of the press release is the lack of an actual TV time slot. 

Yep, but it's mitigated by the announcement that the show will be live so 3 a.m. on Saturday is probably off the table.

They'll have to start booking venues soon so I imagine that'll be imminent. Either it's still being hashed out or it's meant to be a staggered announcement that comes before or during Double or Nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Yep, but it's mitigated by the announcement that the show will be live so 3 a.m. on Saturday is probably off the table.

If the AEW deal also includes replays, it might not be the worst thing in the world. 

Am I the only one who didn't know about TNT re-branding as "TNT Drama?" I thought they were getting dumped onto the TNT version of VH1 Soul or somesuch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Am I the only one who didn't know about TNT re-branding as "TNT Drama?" I thought they were getting dumped onto the TNT version of VH1 Soul or somesuch.

Yeah, for a while now TNT has been the drama station, and TBS is the comedy station. TNT’s slogan is “We Know Drama”, and TBS is “Very Funny”. I feel like they’ve been trying to get away from that slowly.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're not the only one. I started thinking that TNT was for dramas and then they had an FXX equivalent for comedies, but like LoneWolf said, that's what TBS is.

FXX is still fucking dumb. This is a rant for the TV thread, but the on demand stuff for FXX is under FX, stuff that should be on FXX winds up on FX, etc.

Anyway, I'm super happy for AEW. This is huge. I don't think anyone should deny that this is a big fucking deal, but I'm sure someone will.

• Thanks 1

I’m very fascinated in knowing who’ll be directing AEW’s TV show. Will it be somebody with prior wrestling experience, or somebody from Turner? I’m very open to somebody from a non-wrestling background to see what they’ll do different  in presenting this on television.

Safe to say reading this it’ll start with a “Pure Sports Build”.

From the Observer

https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wrestling/aew-tnt-announce-tv-deal-live-weekly-matches-begin-year-283816

Four months after the promotion was first announced, All Elite Wrestling has revealed TNT as their television home.

AEW and WarnerMedia issued a press releasethis morning announcing that AEW will begin airing live weekly matches on TNT in prime time later this year. Further details on when the weekly show will begin, what day it will be on, the length of it, and its name have yet to be revealed.

The press released touted a multi-platform approach that will include WarnerMedia’s Bleacher Report Live service and pay-per-view. B/R Live will be the exclusive digital streaming partner for Double or Nothing in the United States, with the event also available via traditional PPV. Double or Nothing is taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, May 25.

The Buy-In, AEW's pre-show for Double or Nothing, will stream live via WarnerMedia and AEW's social media channels.

The press release hyped that AEW will be focused on fast-paced, high-impact competition and will offer fans "less scripted, soapy drama, and more athleticism and real sports analytics, bringing a legitimacy to wrestling that it has not previously had. Wrestlers will also be given more freedom to explore their characters and highlight their athletic abilities. Introducing statistics to wrestling for the first time ever, AEW will raise the stakes for its matches and deepen fan engagement by tracking each competitor’s wins and losses as the wrestlers pursue championships, analyzing their moves, assessing damage to their opponents, and providing insights into their winning streaks."

“All Elite Wrestling is a talent-forward, fan-first league whose inclusive approach to creating high-quality athletic wrestling competitions is already making waves with fans and attracting top-tier wrestlers,” Michael Quigley, executive vice president, commercial operations, content strategy and monetization, TBS and TNT said in the press release. “It is high-adrenaline, gripping entertainment and we can’t wait to bring it to fans everywhere with this game-changing new business.”

“Wrestling fans have wanted -- and needed -- something different, authentic and better for far too long,” Tony Khan, president and CEO of AEW said. “AEW is answering the call. AEW is about more than wrestling. It’s about a movement fueled by wrestling fans who have been underserved and perhaps even disappointed by what the industry has produced in recent years. AEW is rising to the occasion with DOUBLE OR NOTHING and today taking it a step further by partnering with WarnerMedia, which is as committed as we are to making wrestling fans the one and only priority. With WarnerMedia, AEW is poised globally to redefine wrestling as we know it today.”

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1