DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

Just now, Casey said:

Let's have AEW be its own thing instead of a WCW nostalgia tribute act.

But I think we're at least in agreement that they could bring back themed sets, right?

• Like 4

I'll admit I miss elaborate set-ups for PPVs (not just WCW). They're supposedly bringing pyro back if the initial rally in January is anything to go by, and they're leaning pretty heavy into the Vegas theme for Double Or Nothing, so... I don't think it's too far fetched to say the stage won't just be two video screens a ramp or something.

• Like 1

It would be so cool if they have a promo or commercial during the playoffs next week. We’ll have to see the vibe Wednesday morning but they will be trying to promote this for sure at some point. Maybe can do a little teaser video right away. 

Everyone needs to fuck off with the "I want it to be on Saturday nights at 6:05" horseshit. They stopped running shows at 5 past the hour almost 20 years ago. Not going to happen. Move on.

Tony Khan's dad might be a great businessman, but he's a shit sports team owner. The Jags are brutal, and Fulham wanks dogs. There's lots to be positive about, but the whole "billionaire who knows how to run a sports franchise" needs to get the fuck out too.

I am most interested in seeing how guys like Angelico, Jack Evans and MJF do on a bigger stage.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

He was on there?! Had no idea (probably from missing most all of last season)

He appeared on the very last episode in a vignette. He hasn't actually wrestled in a match since he left the WWE in 2016 though. At least not according to cagematch

Stu Bennett was heel GM and colour commentator of WoS. He was also GM of Defiant for a while. And he appeared on BTE once, playing Marty Scurll's Dad.

If they ever get a 2nd show I would love it to be a pre-taped studio show. helping flesh out storylines, with promos, matches, and angles exclusive to it. WWE sort of does this on YouTube. But the footage feels so raw at times, that it doesn’t immediately hit you as something important(Most of the time it isn’t). Also of course NXT is a modern regional studio show, and that has shown to still be a superior way to tell stories in wrestling. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Word going around is Earl Hebner signed with AEW and is going to be reffing matches. I HATE Hebner's reffing. His slow 3rd count is awful. He always pulls the spotlight onto himself. I was fine with the referees they had already announced. It's not a dealbreaker by any stretch but I actively despise his mannerisms. He's a attention whore at best.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Word going around is Earl Hebner signed with AEW and is going to be reffing matches. I HATE Hebner's reffing. His slow 3rd count is awful. He always pulls the spotlight onto himself. I was fine with the referees they had already announced. It's not a dealbreaker by any stretch but I actively despise his mannerisms. He's a attention whore at best.

Second all this.

I know Bryce and Knox because despite the antics they get up to in PWG and GCW they know when to get out of the way. Hebner is a caricature of himself at this point. Turner is fine. I am not familiar with Edwards. I can't wait to have to watch Hebner overacting to Omega's and Co drawn out finishes.

Keep the Hebner's away from the AEW merch.

The signing of Paul Turner is the big surprise to me. I figured he was an ROH-lifer since he's been there since the Gabe days.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1