DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Holy fuck.  Comparing current Jericho to the latter-day WCW incarnation of the Freebirds is so on the money.

That analogy is as crazy as a patriotic mountain man holding a dildo blender.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Haha 2

About the fanbase not playing along, do me a favor: check out Cody's two matches with Kenny last year, and then the All In match with Aldis. They had no trouble getting the crowd to completely buy him as both the biggest heel on the planet, and as the conquering babyface, just a few months apart.

• Like 1

I hope there's a group of friends dressed as Sting when they go meet Tony Schiavone.

Speaking of Sting, there was a guy dressed as Crow Sting at Pancakes and Piledrivers. I loved his commitment to the gimmick because he had a balcony seat. 

There was a guy at United We Stand with a pretty awesome surfer Sting jacket. I think I also saw him at MSG. There was another guy at MSG wearing a pretty awesome Crow Sting jacket.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

I don't know why but that fucking gif slayed me.

Anywho... brother has the itis. The itch is back clearly... I MEAN LOOK AT HIS TWITTER NAME.

Edited by Oyaji

On 4/25/2019 at 8:14 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Exactly... Kenny, and the Bucks must realize that Kenny was at his best when he was doing that. Also... nostalgia talk.

I disagree with that completely. He was at his worst after he won the title and is main reason why WK main event had very weird build that didn't make much sense in the end.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:34 PM, Brian Fowler said:

About the fanbase not playing along, do me a favor: check out Cody's two matches with Kenny last year, and then the All In match with Aldis. They had no trouble getting the crowd to completely buy him as both the biggest heel on the planet, and as the conquering babyface, just a few months apart.

Well first of all I'd say that Cody is better at character work than Omega. And I think that in both cases opponent helped a lot. People don't want to boo Omega so it is relatively easy to get heat against him and well, nobody likes Aldis. Question is who they can place against Omega that Omega could actually get heat?

Edited by Archibald

The Worldwide Underground might be a good heel stable to put against Kenny.  I think people want to boo those guys, and Johnny would be consider a threat against Omega.

That's the issue with Omega- he's a big enough star compared to everyone else AEW can get that few of them seem like a threat.   For someone to be viewed as a threat to Omega, they'd need to be bought as an high-level guy in NJPW, like someone they'd put over Ibushi at a minimum.

I think the Lucha bros are Main Eventers, these guys have been headlining major Indies for atleast 2 years and still going and since AEW and the Bucks intend on making the Tag division a strong a the Singles Main event picture then I dont see why the wont be in AEW. Pentagon was semi main vs Omega, it could've been main if they didn't have the Jericho run in so that says alot. Its going to take time for them to build up more teams though. I understand what you mean when you say Omegas the only main Eventer but to this target fanbase Pac can headline a Show and draw.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 11:16 PM, Ace said:

Also, he sucks at everything else. Punk entered a BJJ tourney and came in last place.

A three-man tourney, no less.

• Haha 1

I don't understand the online comparisons between this feud and Batista/Hunter.  Yes,  Dustin is getting up there in age but this program and the promos smoke whatever the heck it was the aforementioned were going for.  I don't care what a performer's age is.  I care about stories.. well told stories and character depth and also ring work.  If you are 50-years old but are excelling at all of those then that is awesome and I want to see more of it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't understand the online comparisons between this feud and Batista/Hunter.  Yes,  Dustin is getting up there in age but this program and the promos smoke whatever the heck it was the aforementioned were going for.  I don't care what a performer's age is.  I care about stories.. well told stories and character depth and also ring work.  If you are 50-years old but are excelling at all of those then that is awesome and I want to see more of it. 

People are comparing Cody/Dustin to Batista/Hunter? In what way are the two even remotely similar?

Edit: mean to post this in the Random Matches On The Internet Thread but i'll keep it here too cuz it's pretty good and people should watch it.

Edited by Web Conn

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

People are comparing Cody/Dustin to Batista/Hunter? In what way are the two even remotely similar?

There are memes going around where the picture will show the same nerd complimenting Cody/Dustin but shitting on Batista/Hunter and the comparison is supposed to be something along the lines of "same old shit" ...     there's a lot of WWE apologists popping up these days to defend Vince and creative and all that ends up happening is they reveal themselves to be complete idiots. 

43 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There are memes going around where the picture will show the same nerd complimenting Cody/Dustin but shitting on Batista/Hunter and the comparison is supposed to be something along the lines of "same old shit" ...     there's a lot of WWE apologists popping up these days to defend Vince and creative and all that ends up happening is they reveal themselves to be complete idiots. 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Is Cody vs Dustin the same old shit really? I think the comparison between Cody and Dustin and Trips and Dave is Cody and Dustin have succeeded at everything Trips and Dave failed at.

H vs Dave was suppose to be about professional and personal jealously but it came out as Triple H wanting to get his win over Dave. Modern Day HHH feels like WCW Hogan to me, just retconning his older feuds to come up on top.

Cody vs Dustin on the other hand has the much publicized falling out between Dustin and Dusty in the 90’s to play off of. And I think the whole “Dad raised you he didn’t raise me” narrative is brilliant it’s better than “nanana you never beat me”.

• Like 2

I fail to see how Cody vs Dustin is the same old shit. I can only conclude that if people are complaining about it elsewhere, then it's because they wanted Cody vs MJF.

• Like 2