DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

I would definitely line up to meet Kobashi, but I’m just gonna be in and out for the show itself. Super cool announcement. 

Wonder if they will joke about the nhl game last night on bte. They could’ve done t-mobile no problem, after all. 

• Like 1

I hope Dustin Rhodes has his giant cow-size dog walk him to the ring.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Something I've been thinking about. We KILL WWE for 50/50 booking and I'm in total agreement,  there needs to be a pecking order. My concern with AEW is that all these dudes are friends and the people they are signing they are fond of but doesn't someone have to be a jobber?  

Pecking order seems clear to me.  Office guys up.  Everyone else under.

I think the biggest issue is they don't really have any heels and even the ones they have won't be able to get any real heat cause the fan base they've cultivated doesn't seem like the kind that would buy in for that.  They're about popping for the highspots and being in on the joke.  I don't really think that's going to get it done for very long especially as a TV product.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BEN! said:

I hope Dustin Rhodes has his giant cow-size dog walk him to the ring.

Pecking order seems clear to me.  Office guys up.  Everyone else under.

I think the biggest issue is they don't really have any heels and even the ones they have won't be able to get any real heat cause the fan base they've cultivated doesn't seem like the kind that would buy in for that.  They're about popping for the highspots and being in on the joke.  I don't really think that's going to get it done for very long especially as a TV product.

As @AxB just said, there's Jericho. MJF draws great heat from crowds that are "about popping for highspots and being in on the joke". I think Jimmy Havoc and Darby Allin can be great heels in this. I heard a lot of boo's when the Lucha Brothers attacked the Young Bucks at the Double or Nothing press conference. I fully expect Dustin to heel it up against Cody, and I think he'll get the heel reaction. In the episodes of BTE he's been on, Sammy Guevara comes across as a heel/insincere face. I don't think the AEW fanbase is all that much different from the nxt fanbase, which buys into it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

None of those guys are really main eventers, though. And Jericho won't be around all the time. Kenny won't have anyone on his level to work with.

This is a fledgling promotion. They have to be built up. It's not going to happen overnight. AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, and Seth Rollins weren't always main eventers. They had to be built up from the bottom.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

One of the subtler angles on BTE is building them all turning on each other. They did the Cody vs Kenny feud last year (and can go back to it any time they want), now it looks like they might be building to Cody & Kenny vs The Bucks at some point. Besides which, just because MJF (or whoever) isn't ready to main event now, doesn't mean he never will be. I would argue Jimmy Havoc could be built to main against Kenny in, like, 2 shows if they do it right.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

One of the subtler angles on BTE is building them all turning on each other. They did the Cody vs Kenny feud last year (and can go back to it any time they want), now it looks like they might be building to Cody & Kenny vs The Bucks at some point. Besides which, just because MJF (or whoever) isn't ready to main event now, doesn't mean he never will be. I would argue Jimmy Havoc could be built to main against Kenny in, like, 2 shows if they do it right.

I think Marty should come in with a chip on his shoulder over being left for dead by his friends. I'd love to see a faction of Marty; Jimmy Havoc; Darby Allin; and Priscilla Kelly. She's married to Allin, so I assume she'll be brought in.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This is a fledgling promotion. They have to be built up. It's not going to happen overnight. AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, and Seth Rollins weren't always main eventers. They had to be built up from the bottom.

My point is that they don't have anyone now. 

4 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

My point is that they don't have anyone now. 

It seems less and less likely that he's coming in now, but this where someone like Jon Moxley would have been a great pick up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

None of those guys are really main eventers, though. And Jericho won't be around all the time. Kenny won't have anyone on his level to work with.

On the contrary, I think that the fact they don't have any real main eventers actually HELPS them with Kenny, not hurts them.

One of the core things it seems like AEW has to build around as a core concept is "We have Kenny Omega. He's argued to be the single best wrestler on the planet today. Watch us and you'll see how awesome that he is."

A roster with no real main eventers means that you can build up Kenny Omega to the casual fans who may have heard he was really good but don't really KNOW yet by having Omega work with everyone on the roster and (assuming he has the ability) pull everyone to the match of their life, which will succeed on two accounts: 1) Show everyone who's new to the AEW roster "Kenny Omega is really, really talented at this pro wrestling thing", and 2) Show everyone who KNOWS the Elite "You wondered why we signed this unknown instead of that indy star/WWE castoff? THAT'S WHY."

• Like 2

I think the only potential problem with Kenny being clearly on a higher tier than the rest of the roster is that--to my taste--he's always done way better work with the Okada/Tana/Naito/Ibushi tier guys, who were presented as being similarly superheroic. When he wrestled guys on the SANADA/ZSJ/Page tier, I always felt they came away looking a little worse for losing. The caveats here: I'm a big fan, and I think he can get better at this. But I also think he probably needs to. 

• Like 2

Would Kenny be better off as a heel world champion that the faces chase after? I was thinking that after thinking about Kenny chasing Jericho for the belt, but then realizing having Kenny as the heel champ that not all mainstream fans know about would be a fresher angle to sell to them.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

They like to get meta. If Omega is World Champ and keeps doing promos about how he's world number one and nobody else is on his level, a lot of his fans already believe that about him. It's a natural angle, I'd be surprised if they didn't do it.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AxB said:

They like to get meta. If Omega is World Champ and keeps doing promos about how he's world number one and nobody else is on his level, a lot of his fans already believe that about him. It's a natural angle, I'd be surprised if they didn't do it.

Exactly... Kenny, and the Bucks must realize that Kenny was at his best when he was doing that. Also... nostalgia talk. When I was a kid I was always intrigued by heel world champions I didn’t know about, like Shane Douglas, and wondered why this prick was so kayfabe respected by the faces. It was the same with other kids in school whether it was ECW, or Battledome(T-Money). I want young people to have that same feeling when they come across a random episode of AEW.

It would be awful if the first champion was old man Jericho. Who would be better off in a WCW Freebirds team instead of being a singles star.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Just a quick Starrcast note but if anybody is going I REALLY hope somebody here does this:

Starrcast has announced a photo op where fans will be able to take a picture with Tony Schiavone, David Crockett, and the Big Gold belt in front of what will appear to be the WTBS set.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Just a quick Starrcast note but if anybody is going I REALLY hope somebody here does this:

If I give David an extra 20 will he wear a fake beard for the photo op?

Dude lost 100% of his charm when he shaved it off.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs