DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was about to say...Y'all are referring to some interview Jeffrey/Vile One did with someone else regarding the TV deal. It's not exactly what I'd call reputable.

I don't think anyone quite understands how close they're keeping this shit to the chest and the one person who did know and blabbed about it (JR) I'm guessing was told to stop talking about since he hasn't said anything about it since. I wouldn't exactly trust any word coming out of anyone not WITHIN that company.

I mean a lot of people are overreacting. No deal is signed or official as of yet. Also, I spoke to a Wrap reporter, and this is what he told me. 

I think Dave said something somewhere today that the "pay for timeslot" part is inaccurate but at this point I mean who the hell knows there's been so much speculation,  I understand everyone wants to be the first to break the story but man this has been going on now forever.  I can't wait until we have all the information in front of us. 

• Like 3

I am not sure what you dudes are arguing about exactly, but I am not sure if Dave is making a great argument that it shouldn't be a time buy. All the combat sports examples he listed were proven commodities BEFORE they got their deals. The history of the UFC on TV is already obvious. Eddie Hearn is running his daddy's promotion that's been around since 1987, and Eddie was gaining a foothold in the USA prior to his sweetheart DAZN deal. Bellator had been around for damn near 10 years when they got that DAZN deal even with seriously declining ratings post Kimbo. These guys have one show under their belts and Dave is using examples of companies that have around for several decades for an unproven commodity. If what he said made sense, the AAF would have survived more than a few weeks.

• Like 4

I heard the AAF (this might have actually been on an Observer show) knew they could only operate for the first week,  they were millions of dollars short but they decided to go ahead with it anyway to beat XFL to the punch.  Dave claimed AAF was looking to merge with XFL.  But anyway,  Dave's comparison is off.  I think the biggest thing out of this that people are interested in is whether the deal is paying for air time.  I don't think anyone expects the show to be 3 hours and all that other stuff commented on.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am not sure what you dudes are arguing about exactly, but I am not sure if Dave is making a great argument that it shouldn't be a time buy. All the combat sports examples he listed were proven commodities BEFORE they got their deals. The history of the UFC on TV is already obvious. Eddie Hearn is running his daddy's promotion that's been around since 1987, and Eddie was gaining a foothold in the USA prior to his sweetheart DAZN deal. Bellator had been around for damn near 10 years when they got that DAZN deal even with seriously declining ratings post Kimbo. These guys have one show under their belts and Dave is using examples of companies that have around for several decades for an unproven commodity. If what he said made sense, the AAF would have survived more than a few weeks.

Bellator is also owned by Viacom. So AEW being compared to UFC, Bellator, etc...well you said it better than I did.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I heard the AAF (this might have actually been on an Observer show) knew they could only operate for the first week,  they were millions of dollars short but they decided to go ahead with it anyway to beat XFL to the punch.  Dave claimed AAF was looking to merge with XFL.  But anyway,  Dave's comparison is off.  I think the biggest thing out of this that people are interested in is whether the deal is paying for air time.  I don't think anyone expects the show to be 3 hours and all that other stuff commented on.  

Hence, why I used the AAF as an example. It's safe to say people would pay for football over wrestling yet the AAF had a time buy that wasn't a time buy according to Charlie Ebersol so anyway you slice they were not getting paid at all. I think DAZN giving Bellator several million is absurd and the Anthony Joshua and Canelo deals are still absurd despite both being draws, but there is a difference between TV executives having a hard on for live sports (real or staged) and taking a flyer out on something that could be immensely successful if executed correctly. With the latter, it doesn't mean you will be rewarded handsomely for your content.

Well if we assume that rumours are true about Jericho's and Omega's deals and they are indeed getting ~3 millions each... and I assume that Bucks and Cody aren't that far behind... They are probably currently paying something like 12-15 million on talent alone each year? Add to that pay-to-play on TV and well I'm not sure how exactly they'd be making money here. Sure, they sold out some big buildings, but if they plan to run live TV every week then I doubt that people will be flying in for every show.

Whole idea that All In being produced by RoH was a problem is a bit weird to me. Will be interesting to see how Double or Nothing will look and will anyone be able to tell a difference.

Something I've been thinking about. We KILL WWE for 50/50 booking and I'm in total agreement,  there needs to be a pecking order. My concern with AEW is that all these dudes are friends and the people they are signing they are fond of but doesn't someone have to be a jobber?  

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Something I've been thinking about. We KILL WWE for 50/50 booking and I'm in total agreement,  there needs to be a pecking order. My concern with AEW is that all these dudes are friends and the people they are signing they are fond of but doesn't someone have to be a jobber?  

Probably some of the OWE guys since they have pretty much no name in the States. Although they could establish an order without trading wins too much at first if they're only working with a some big events and a one hour weekly show (if that's what they go with). Don't they have like four singles feuds simmering already? That's enough to carry a well booked program for at least a little while, then cycle in guys who aren't occupied just yet. I'd like to see CIMA/Page, for instance, or Omega/PAC. And I'm not even taking a full women's division into account. Actually, they may have a higher need for lady jobbers since some of their announced names aren't as well known.

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Local talent

• Like 3

Yeah that is really the only Cody match that really gets me excited at this point.  So is Dustin gone from the WWE?   Also thought it was interesting they bleeped out "Stardust'.   

Just a great video.  That should be shown as many times as possible because that is probably the real main event of the show

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 4

Basically Pro Wrestling Sheet had reported a little bit ago that Dustin's deal with WWE was up at the end of March. Dustin - in what was clearly kayfabe - claimed it wasn't

The Goldust bio on WWE.com has been moved to the alumni section (it was still on the active roster like two days ago)