DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

Jimmy Havoc is pretty fucking great and smarter than he lets on. You can have room for more than one goffix wrestler.

The battle royal for Double or Nothing, man... These hype videos, I've cried twice already watching the backstories. The winner should be determined by the amount of tears their story elicits. And then MJEFF just comes in and throws that guy out.

It's simple, real life shit that they're covering and it is so effective. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

I dunno, man. Using his mom's health as an excuse is kind of lame. I would've liked that promo 100x more if he just took out the "not" in the "not because he was better than me..." line even if it weren't true. 

My mother was in a coma for 2 weeks, so maybe I'm a little bias to his story. It was incredibly hard to concentrate on anything else other than wanting to stay at the hospital until something changed. I can absolutely see a scenario where his mind was just too preoccupied with what was going on with his family, but I also don't know how talented he was at boxing and stuff like that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

My mother was in a coma for 2 weeks, so maybe I'm a little bias to his story. It was incredibly hard to concentrate on anything else other than wanting to stay at the hospital until something changed. I can absolutely see a scenario where his mind was just too preoccupied with what was going on with his family, but I also don't know how talented he was at boxing and stuff like that.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your mom. I hope things have improved from whenever this was.

• Like 3

Thanks, man. I don't want to clutter up this thread with my personal shit, but this was several years ago. She took a double dose of her medication (on accident?) and didn't wake up the next morning. Sometime that night she stopped breathing and went 7 or 8 hours without oxygen to her brain, which created holes, and went into a coma. She already has MS, so this entire thing was just icing on top and lead to some speculation about how/why this all happened to begin with. But somehow she came out of it, I don't know how. Her doctor speculates that it was due to the medication they were giving her at the hospital, and then he came in to consult on her case and ended up changing doses and switching out drugs for others and here we are today. She's got slight brain damage (just like my Dad), but all things considered, it could be a whole lot worse.

Which is why I guess I connected with Ogogo's story. That, and he's a Bronze medal winner in a recent(ish) Olympic Games, which can't hurt things. The chances of him being a prodigy like Angle are slim to none, since I think that was a once in a blue moon type thing (although Rousey will put that theory to bed if she continues on past her Year One WWE run). Having more legitimate athletes in wrestling can't hurt pro wrestling - but it's also all in what you do with said talent (I'm looking at you, WWE - you've got Chad Gable and you're doing nothing with him!).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

They never mentioned why he retired from pro-Boxing though. He had an eye injury that was to the point he's legally blind in the one eye now. Hence, no boxing licence any more.

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oof. This is going to give the anti-AEW crowd a raging boner. It's rumored that their television deal is with TNT, not TBS. But... they're paying TNT for the timeslot.

Sauce on that bad boy? If true, that's not a good look. Better than ending up on the B/R app but not a good look at all. Heck of exposure though.

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Sauce on that bad boy? If true, that's not a good look. Better than ending up on the B/R app but not a good look at all. Heck of exposure though.

It’s that guy from “the wrap” who broke the latest round of news about turner. This seems just like speculation though, I’d wait to hear what Dave says (he’s been pretty confidently talking about numbers as if he’d heard them. And I can’t see tnt doing paid programming as part of their prime time lineup, supposedly that they’d be introducing during upfronts with all their prestige programming - according to the same guy). 

https://411mania.com/wrestling/details-on-aews-potential-tv-deal-and-if-theyll-be-paying-for-tv-time/

“As excited as people are, they have cool t-shirts and a cool roster, you know, but they’re unproven, let’s be realistic,” Maglio said.

He added, “My understanding based on the people I’ve spoken to is that it would be more AEW paying for its time on TNT than Turner paying AEW for its show. Another very good wrestling reporter and I had been talking about whether that would be the case or whether it would be a revenue share, and we’d both heard rumblings and talked to people. Maybe a couple of months ago it might have been a little bit of a different story. But the truth is, when you’re talking to Turner, [they’re] a very well-established, very well-off company inside of gigantic parent company…it’s not the UFC. It’s not WWE, it’s not MLB. They have MLB, they have NBA. They know what they have to pay for. And I think currently, AEW has way more to prove than Turner has in terms of trying to get them to come to their networks. I think AEW needs this deal more than Turner does.”

Edited by matt925
Added relevant quote
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

long ass thread explaining what is going on (of course Les waits till like the 5th tweet to clarify that this is all baseless speculation)

Still I’ve been nervous from the start that the deal wasn’t signed yet, with no one but wwe able to get even a barely decent tv deal in the last decade. Strong negotiations can end, but I’ll be skeptical until I hear more. This would change everything though. A good mid 8 figure deal would be a minimum for them to get past this stage and potentially thrive. Them not having a paying deal, or worse them paying for tv would just be a never ending money pit until Khan would eventually get sick of it. 

Yeah, I don't see how it can last unless they get a decent deal for their events through something like Dazn to at least offset some of the losses. I think the word since day one was they knew they'd be losing money for the first bit but I don't think they foresaw having to pay for TV. Man... if this is true, it's just such a huge fucking gamble on themselves and it'll have to pay off quickly. And it really is difficult to know how bad it is without knowing all the clauses that would be part of such a deal. Like, does WarnerMedia really do a 180 after figuring out ROH helped produce All In? What happens if Double or Nothing is of a similar quality or better? Do they magically do another 180?

Edited by Oyaji

I was about to say...Y'all are referring to some interview Jeffrey/Vile One did with someone else regarding the TV deal. It's not exactly what I'd call reputable.

I don't think anyone quite understands how close they're keeping this shit to the chest and the one person who did know and blabbed about it (JR) I'm guessing was told to stop talking about since he hasn't said anything about it since. I wouldn't exactly trust any word coming out of anyone not WITHIN that company.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Oof. This is going to give the anti-AEW crowd a raging boner. It's rumored that their television deal is with TNT, not TBS. But... they're paying TNT for the timeslot.

If it gives them raging boners, let it be as they happen to pass an elementary school while the kids are outside with a lot of faculty members in the vicinity ready to call the police.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

A good mid 8 figure deal would be a minimum for them to get past this stage and potentially thrive.

I'm not putting much stock in the "they're buying their time slot" rumors, because I think they're too smart to think that that is in any way a good deal, but any network that would offer AEW that kind of money deserves to go out of business. That's way too much money to offer a start-up wrestling company with exactly TWO roster members any casual fan would recognize. Most people watching Raw have no fucking idea who Kenny Omega is.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If it gives them raging boners, let it be as they happen to pass an elementary school while the kids are outside with a lot of faculty members in the vicinity ready to call the police.

Uh, you okay, man? Even by your standards, that's a little dark.

OWE just had their first show in Japan yesterday. Ikemen showed up which connects him to two groups involved with AEW now (OWE and DDT).

Whoops. WWE switched back to JSports this year. They were on DAZN from 2017 to 2019.

Edited by lostinube

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I'm not putting much stock in the "they're buying their time slot" rumors, because I think they're too smart to think that that is in any way a good deal, but any network that would offer AEW that kind of money deserves to go out of business. That's way too much money to offer a start-up wrestling company with exactly TWO roster members any casual fan would recognize. Most people watching Raw have no fucking idea who Kenny Omega is.

I thought it was shocking that wwe got the two deals they did, when the ratings have dropped so much year after year. I’m constantly amazed that the major team sports get all those billions. The sports bubble will eventually pop, but so far it’s still strong. From all the talk, mostly Dave but everyone else that’s chimed in, this has been talked up as a major league deal. I’ve always been nervous because every good negotiation could suddenly end and the recent track record for wrestling on tv is really bad, but this couldn’t have been a small deal. 

Edited by matt925
Spell check

19 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Uh, you okay, man? Even by your standards, that's a little dark.

That made my day. I laughed my ass off at the idea of the rest of the DVDVR being at one level of depravity and there I go soaring past it.

I'm mentally fried today. I help take care of my 91 year old grandmother and get a call from UPenn Hospital that my biological father suffered a heart attack this morning as he was getting ready for work. Our relationship is at a friendship level now, but there was a good chunk of time when there was no relationship. I've made peace with what has happened in the past. I had to contact several of his nieces and a sister in Greece. Thank you for asking, though.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 11