DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

7 hours ago, BEN! said:

Remember when Billy Corgan bought the NWA and you fucking marks thought he was going to save pro wrestling?  He also had negotiations with TBS.

When it was "reported" that the "wrestlers" were unhappy with new NJPW management, it was because The Elite were told to stop selling their personal bootleg-ass Bullet Club shirts.

And the main reason to temper expectations for AEW is because the venue for Double Or Nothing can't even hold double.

Despite @BEN!'s rage, he's still just a rat in a cage.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I legit can't remember who has or has not been announced so per their newest video

Glacier will be in the Battle Royal

Nyla Rose and Darby Allin have been signed

More importantly that Glacier, Brian Pillman, Jr. will be in the battle royal.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AxB said:

I was wondering what you meant by that, so I did a search. And the first two results were 'Tampon spot reaction' and 'Vomits on Joey Ryan during match". And yeah, that's chasing viral shock territory alright.

This is real?

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I've seen Darby Allin a few times in Seattle for Defy. He's a Seattle Area native himself btw, I like his style it's that Cactus Jack style were the wrestling is dialed up to a couple knothes. Plus his entrance when I saw him was really cool, some guy ragged him out in a body bag. Does he still do that? I hope he keeps doing that.

I have never seen this guy but you just sold me. are there any specific match recommendations to seek out?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

Fyter Fest is building up. Interesting match up.

Last year's event delivered.  CEO is just a great overall experience.  If you like watching fighting games, get the spectator pass for CEO as well.  

I noticed last year a lot of the women at the wrestling show were watching and even trying some of the games on display (last year it was Soul Calibur- which was excellent and still is, Fire Pro World, and Fighting Layer EX- and that one I won't say anything about)

10 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

This is real?

I just read the title of the link, I certainly didn't click on it.

The throw up spot has been made out to be much more than it is. Joey gets Priscilla in an airplane spin, they're both dizzy and stumbling around, Joey makes her grab his junk, she pulls his tights, and "throws up" in them. The tampon spot?  I've seen things in my line of work that have pretty much made me numb to most things that would gross out the average person, so the tampon spot doesn't bother me.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

14 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

I have never seen this guy but you just sold me. are there any specific match recommendations to seek out?

I believe some of the full shows of MLW before they got tv on youtube have Allin matches on them I know one the main event is Darby vs. Sami Callihan in a wild brawl. 

If you want to see some of his craziness look up Darby Allin vs. Ethan Page on youtube for hype videos for their feud in which one highlight is Darby being in a Body Bag and taking several bumps while fully zipped up in the Bag. 

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
36 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Darby vs. WALTER from last year in EVOLVE was the best North American match I saw in 2018. 

If you ever decide to watch a Darby match -- this is the one.

5 hours ago, Edwin said:

If you ever decide to watch a Darby match -- this is the one.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. Darby vs WALTER and the Darby vs Page stuff kicked my ass and made me want more. This cat is $$$$

• Like 3

Man, one promotion has three of my favourite guys all in their prime. I can't wait for this shit to get going. 

Fuckin' JR, tho. So stupid. I'm guessing he'll be his usual washed up self and the criticism will be overwhelming and he'll shift to a behind the curtain role and/or do special sit-down interviews. 

• Like 2

If Turner wants a streaming destination for sports and wrestling, I would rebrand Bleacher Report as something else, anything else, other than Bleacher Report. For starters, it doesn't come off like a name of a channel where I want to watch pro wrestling. Comparable to DAZN, which I will never subscribe to.

Even HDNet was ultimately rebranded as AXS TV, which is probably a better name for a network.

Edited by TheVileOne

On 4/11/2019 at 11:07 PM, TheVileOne said:

Streaming live events on B/R is something I can't take seriously. 

If it's good enough for the goddam Champions League, it's good enough for AEW. 

(EDIT: It's not good enough for the goddam Champions League ?)

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

At some point, Jim Ross is going to call a Darby Allin match. I shudder to think at what passive-aggressive euphemisms JR will come up with to describe his lifestyle/gimmick. 

"THIS YOUNG MAN CLEARLY LIVES AN, ERR, ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLE"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Edwin

"He's broken in half, good God almighty."

-- JR calling every Darby Allin match gets a chance to call

All joking aside, I've seen Darby take some of the most ridiculous bumps ever. If this is going to be a regular touring promotion with house shows, they are going to have to show him to tone it down on the excessive bumps.

Edited by Edwin

I do wonder what their house show schedule will look like. And I imagine that TV is only going to feature maybe half or two-thirds of the roster every week, so that could help too. But, yeah, brother cannot be doing the bumps he was taking throughout the Ethan Page feud in EVOLVE a few years back on the reg. It's a good thing he can work a hybrid lucha libre/indie style pretty damn perfectly. I'm more interested in which way they go with his character though because he has such high potential in that regard. Guy lives the gimmick.  And it'll be awesome to see him grow in storylines rather than working the indie dream matches without a lot of context. Like I need to see him wrestle Pentagon but with some background storytelling going on about how they are both willing to basically die in the ring and show... zero fear.