DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

3 minutes ago, Edwin said:

This is mostly terrible news for EVOLVE. He has been involved in a major title angle for some while now and he's not booked for their upcoming show in Tampa.

That also kills any chances of him going to NXT which sucks for me as I was hoping he would get signed this year.

Great pick up for AEW, though. Darby has been one of my favorites for some years now and he's definitely someone I will tune in to watch whenever he's on.

I guess its only a matter of time before Priscilla Kelly gets signed, also.

Evolve annouced there contracts ended earlier this week that's why they weren't booked for Tampa.

Darby and Priscilla could be a popular act. They have a unique look that is kind of under-served in wrestling. Too often the goth/punk thing has been used for freak characters or almost as comedy with the "look how weird these people are" presentation. A cool punk rock goth couple could be popular.

I think WWE could have this with Ruby Riott but they don't really push that aspect of her character. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Darby and Priscilla could be a popular act. They have a unique look that is kind of under-served in wrestling. Too often the goth/punk thing has been used for freak characters or almost as comedy with the "look how weird these people are" presentation. A cool punk rock goth couple could be popular.

Isn't that exactly how Priscilla Kelly presents herself?

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Isn't that exactly how Priscilla Kelly presents herself?

These days, kinda. In Evolve, she was just the hot goth with the jock boyfriend. There was nothing excessively "weird" about her except she was kinda crazy.  She has veered into the viral shock territory but I think there's a good presentation in her and Darby just representing a punk rock counter-culture. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hagan said:

She has veered into the viral shock territory

I was wondering what you meant by that, so I did a search. And the first two results were 'Tampon spot reaction' and 'Vomits on Joey Ryan during match". And yeah, that's chasing viral shock territory alright.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AxB said:

I was wondering what you meant by that, so I did a search. And the first two results were 'Tampon spot reaction' and 'Vomits on Joey Ryan during match". And yeah, that's chasing viral shock territory alright.

Yeah - I like Kelly and what she's doing is certainly A LANE to go down but at some point it becomes law of diminishing returns and I think gross out spots have a much larger potential to turn off an audience than comedy acts like Ryan do. 

The uproar over the tampon spot was ridiculous and I don't blame her for riding the wave and doubling down on the shtick but I think there's an under-served punk community in wrestling.  

• Like 1

Remember when Billy Corgan bought the NWA and you fucking marks thought he was going to save pro wrestling?  He also had negotiations with TBS.

When it was "reported" that the "wrestlers" were unhappy with new NJPW management, it was because The Elite were told to stop selling their personal bootleg-ass Bullet Club shirts.

And the main reason to temper expectations for AEW is because the venue for Double Or Nothing can't even hold double.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Remember when Billy Corgan bought the NWA and you fucking marks thought he was going to save pro wrestling?  He also had negotiations with TBS.

When it was "reported" that the "wrestlers" were unhappy with new NJPW management, it was because The Elite were told to stop selling their personal bootleg-ass Bullet Club shirts.

And the main reason to temper expectations for AEW is because the venue for Double Or Nothing can't even hold double.

Is this a remix of a promo I should know?   

55 minutes ago, BEN! said:

I don't remember a single person saying Billy Corgan was going to save pro wrestling by buying the NWA.

• Like 4

Darby Allin is a great pick up and a good move for Darby too. Guy has a ton of upside and might have had a good run in NXT before wrestling EC3 on 80 Main Events in a row but I think he’s capable of a lot more. Now if I could only shake the feeling he’s going to get snapped in half one of these days.

• Like 1

Darby Allin is one of the best wrestlers on the planet. He is such a fucking awesome babyface in the ring and has a tremendous presence and personality that I don't think has connected yet with fans and I almost think he has to go heel with his angsty goth skater lifestyle before they accept him. I cannot fucking wait for this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

You know there’s a very specific reason they choose the grand garden arena right? They initially booked the t-mobile arena with a 20k capacity (which they clearly would have sold out) and then they were informed that if the Vegas nhl team makes it that far in the playoffs and end up with a home game scheduled on the 25th, aew would get bumped and that would be like a 1-2 week notice for their first ever show. So they played it safe and booked the garden. It would have been much cooler and more impressive if they could have done t-mobile arena. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, matt925 said:

You know there’s a very specific reason they choose the grand garden arena right? They initially booked the t-mobile arena with a 20k capacity (which they clearly would have sold out) and then they were informed that if the Vegas nhl team makes it that far in the playoffs and end up with a home game scheduled on the 25th, aew would get bumped and that would be like a 1-2 week notice for their first ever show. So they played it safe and booked the garden. It would have been much cooler and more impressive if they could have done t-mobile arena. 

The Sharks/Golden Knights series is off to a good start. 2019 will be the year of the Shark. Someday, I'm going to make it to San Jose for a Sharks home game.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Sharks/Golden Knights series is off to a good start. 2019 will be the year of the Shark. Someday, I'm going to make it to San Jose for a Sharks home game.

That's going to be a long ass trip.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've seen more non hockey things at their arena, including wrestling and concerts. Than hockey.  Of which i have gone to zero games lol

I've seen Darby Allin a few times in Seattle for Defy. He's a Seattle Area native himself btw, I like his style it's that Cactus Jack style were the wrestling is dialed up to a couple knothes. Plus his entrance when I saw him was really cool, some guy ragged him out in a body bag. Does he still do that? I hope he keeps doing that.

• Like 1