DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

Honestly, my biggest concern is how adamant Cody, Tony, and the Bucks are about going for "the next person on the rise" instead of going after people more established. I'm not a business person, I'm totally lazy when it comes to running a wrestling promotion on Fire Pro and other sims, but to me it seems that striking a happy medium between signing established and known quantities and complete unknowns is the way to go. Cody sounds like he wants to be so different than everyone else by filling the promotion with people that could be something. It just seems awfully risky, but who knows, at the same time, maybe that's how they become known and recognized.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Honestly, my biggest concern is how adamant Cody, Tony, and the Bucks are about going for "the next person on the rise" instead of going after people more established. I'm not a business person, I'm totally lazy when it comes to running a wrestling promotion on Fire Pro and other sims, but to me it seems that striking a happy medium between signing established and known quantities and complete unknowns is the way to go. Cody sounds like he wants to be so different than everyone else by filling the promotion with people that could be something. It just seems awfully risky, but who knows, at the same time, maybe that's how they become known and recognized.

With what him and Tony were saying I get it.  They don't want to be WWE-lite and sign their castoffs.  But it's not like they haven't signed ex-WWE guys as they have Pac, Jericho and Ross.  I sense they have their eye on a couple people in the company who may have contracts ending at some point though.  Considering the weekly show's not starting until October I imagine there's plenty of time to sign established stars.  So with that time might as well establish the unknowns.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thinks the Elite are going to do this, outside of the fact that most wrestlers selfishly push themselves when given the opportunity. Most of the time, that's purely ego-driven, and outside of maybe Kenny, I don't think these guys are that full of themselves. They should be given the benefit of a doubt.

This is the internet. They should be scorned and villified no matter what they say and do!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

With what him and Tony were saying I get it.  They don't want to be WWE-lite and sign their castoffs.  But it's not like they haven't signed ex-WWE guys as they have Pac, Jericho and Ross.  I sense they have their eye on a couple people in the company who may have contracts ending at some point though.  Considering the weekly show's not starting until October I imagine there's plenty of time to sign established stars.  So with that time might as well establish the unknowns.

What I like about their philosophy so far, is that they seem to be picking people with specific ideas. Like, it’s not that they’d say no to having Cena, Reigns and undertaker, but they very specifically want the usos and new day, which probably wouldn’t be the top picks of people starting a fantasy promotion but they have very specific ideas. I think that bodes we’ll for them (and us fans). 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Simpsons reference > Seinfeld reference

Whatever floats your boat. The Seinfeld references are 98% for my enjoyment.

1% was for @PetrolCB. I hope he's doing well whereever he is. The other 1% is for @Niners Fan in CT

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
I feel bad I forgot Niners Fan.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

By his own words, he was supposed to go over Tanahashi in the Dome then put Okada over in MSG on the way out, and he balked because he wanted to work his buddy instead, and when he didn't get his way, he took his ball and left.   How is that not acting a prima donna for not getting his way?

I mean every top wrestler from Hogan to Austin to HBK etc. Has refused a job because they want to do something else it's part of the business 

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

I wonder what venue would be the best to run for your very first TV. I would say All State or Sears Center, but they're already running the Sears Center for All In 2 at the end of August. 

I personally would love for it to be at the Greensboro Coliseum.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Bully Ray has more to do with Flip being over than the Elite does.

Bully Ray/Flip was good angle-wise, but Flip was already over.   The Elite connection+ BOSJ got Flip over.

11 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thinks the Elite are going to do this, outside of the fact that most wrestlers selfishly push themselves when given the opportunity. Most of the time, that's purely ego-driven, and outside of maybe Kenny, I don't think these guys are that full of themselves. They should be given the benefit of a doubt.

I think it's quite possible Cody/Kenny/Bucks will screw up, because they'll overdo things, but I don't think they'll be way too selfish.  I happen to like Kenny as a wrestler , but I'll be the first to admit he has his flaws wrestling-wise.  I want AEW to succeed because I think it's a promotion run by good people in an industry that needs more of them.  I just have a bad feeling it won't be what I want.  (I like NJPW's style the most out of anyone right now- it's the closest thing to what I liked about early 90's WCW)

Edited by alstein

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Streaming live events on B/R is something I can't take seriously. 

Ballers on HBO would probably get more viewers than All Elite live events if we're being completely honest (and I'm like the #4 proponent of AEW on here).

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Streaming live events on B/R is something I can't take seriously. 

As a guy who edited Bleacher Report during its first five years, when it included fan-written reports on cricket and Formula One, I find it amazing and hilarious that you can now watch sports on Bleacher Report.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FakeWorker said:

If he hates three man booths so much he could step down and let it be a two man booth...

Three-man booths can work if they are done properly. My team with Joe Dombrowski & Kingdom James worked in IWC Pittsburgh because we had great chemistry and clearly defined roles.

That's why Mike Tenay worked so well when he joined the WCW broadcast team: because he stayed in his lane as the lucha expert.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

Honestly, my biggest concern is how adamant Cody, Tony, and the Bucks are about going for "the next person on the rise" instead of going after people more established. 

Eh, Cody and the Bucks perhaps rightfully assume that THEY are the established guys that will draw on name recognition and that will allow them to focus on creating new stars and getting some brand loyalty from their workers and their fan base.

And I agree with Niko that it might be a bad idea to sign "established" guys because sometimes it really does give the impression that you are booking castoffs that are past their prime and that doesn't exactly sound like something that a promotion called All Elite would or should do.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Simpsons reference > Seinfeld reference

I'm cool with Seinfeld but as far as references that make me laugh I wholeheartedly agree with this statement (sorry, Eddie, Petrol, etc.).

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I legit can't remember who has or has not been announced so per their newest video

Glacier will be in the Battle Royal

Nyla Rose and Darby Allin have been signed

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Darby Allin have been signed

This is mostly terrible news for EVOLVE. He has been involved in a major title angle for some while now and he's not booked for their upcoming show in Tampa.

That also kills any chances of him going to NXT which sucks for me as I was hoping he would get signed this year.

Great pick up for AEW, though. Darby has been one of my favorites for some years now and he's definitely someone I will tune in to watch whenever he's on.

I guess its only a matter of time before Priscilla Kelly gets signed, also.

If WWE is really interested in Theory, then they might want to make a move now before AEW sweeps him up, too.

Edited by Edwin