DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not sure if they've done pro wrestling there, but the Hangar in Costa Mesa looks like a venue from the territorial days. Plus, they can use the Fairgrounds Grandstand Arena in the same vicinity if they want to do an outdoor show.

They haven't run them inside the Hangar itself, but the OC Fair usually has a couple lucha shows every year in the outdoor sports arena, so I would assume the venue would be open to the idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Is 15 hours a record on here? ??‍♂️

Seriously, the thread has been open for 15 hours and you all already turning it into a derailed mess.

It would have been sooner if Thibs hadn't been Cashed.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Another item for the wish list if they're running PPVs - Run the show on a Saturday. Maybe it's me just getting older, but I hate watching a big show on Sunday and have to work the next day. That might be problematic with working around UFC and boxing though.

If their big shows end up on HBO as rumored, they’ll have to be on a different night, because Sunday is HBO’s night for their prestige programming.  I doubt they’ll bump Westworld for All In 5, or whatever.

• Haha 1

I think it'll ultimately go to TNT/TBS no matter what news and such came out.  But looks like we'll have to revisit this at a later time.

I always thought it would be announced around Double or Nothing anyway.

Bix is acting like he has money on them not getting a TV deal. 

Listen, dude's tweet is either completely made up fake new like an old Scott Keith RSPW rumor or dude just jumped the gun on reporting something that isn't finalized and could change. 

My hunch is it's probably the second one. 

Also, and I'll be petty, Bix is rich for going after people who run with  "anonymous accounts even if they get things right" considering how political his Twitter is and the articles and people he retweets daily. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll never understand that mentality of wishing for a promotion's failure simply because you're loyal to another one. There's an established ice cream shoppe in the town I reside, and they just moved to a new location in town. A new ice cream shoppe opened in the former location of the other shoppe. Do I want the new place to fail? No, I'm going to give them a shot. There's enough room for another major US promotion. It's not as if AEW is going full on Eric Bischoff and saying they want to take down WWE.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Guuuuuuuys, it’s happening. Let’s stop this “hoping for there to not be another legit US company, because i’m satisfied with a stagnant company that lives off its brand awareness, and money”.

Why so cynical?

I think it's likely the latter too. Dave also last week spent 5 to 10 minutes talking about how no one should be saying anything about a TV deal being final before the TV company announces it because of this feeling that it will jinx the deal or the TV company will suddenly become squeamish, or it will cause the deal to fall apart. I think this may have been in reference to JR talking about how a deal was final. Dave sounded like he was doing damage control.

From the most recent Ross Report (recap by SEScoops)

Jim Ross reveals on this week’s Jim Ross Report that the AEW commentary team will consist of himself, Alex Marvez, and Excalibur.

Ross says that he has not worked with Marvez or Excalibur before.

Marvez is a sportswriter, while Excalibur is a renowned wrestling commentator, best known for his work with PWG.

Excalibur also appeared on the All In broadcast last year, and does occasional NJPW commentary.

Ross says that he will be in Atlanta next week to practice with Marvez and Excalibur.

“We’re going to do that next week. Two days, two long, full days of drilling and calling matches,” says Ross.

“We’ll get used to each other’s timing and cadence, and the mechanics of it.”

“I’m not a big fan of three-man booths,” Ross says.

“I’m even less of a fan of three-man booths when it’s with people I’ve never worked with.”

“So how do you fix that? If the company wants a three-man booth, we’ll give them a three-man booth,” says Ross.

“But we’ve got to prepare for it.”

Double Or Nothing will be the first test for the AEW commentary team. The weekly AEW television show is expected to debut in October.

I am sure why JR needed to throw in the part about being unhappy about it being a 3 man booth but here we are

3 minutes ago, FakeWorker said:

If he hates three man booths so much he could step down and let it be a two man booth...

Like others, this is the one signing I haven't dug. I think JR's strength likely lies in talent evaluation or even story development, not commentary. Others also said this and I'll just parrot it too, but if JR did the occasional big match then cool, I'm all for that. Him on commentary every week will get tiring for the audience and for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll never understand that mentality of wishing for a promotion's failure simply because you're loyal to another one. There's an established ice cream shoppe in the town I reside, and they just moved to a new location in town. A new ice cream shoppe opened in the former location of the other shoppe. Do I want the new place to fail? No, I'm going to give them a shot. There's enough room for another major US promotion. It's not as if AEW is going full on Eric Bischoff and saying he wants to take down WWE.

See, this is the thing.  People aren't skeptical because they're "loyal to another promotion".  They're skeptical because with the reporting thus far and how guys have behaved in the past, some people see more red flags here than a Tienanmen Square parade.  If they succeed, awesome.  But I'm going to be skeptical of Dusty Rhodes kid having an open checkbook and four of the most blatant self promoters currently working having full control of everything. Historically, that's NEVER been a good thing and has never worked out.  Honestly I see it falling somewhere between Dixie's TNA and Bischoff's WCW, where it starts eating itself because they threw a grenade into wrestling's pay scale.

I have more of a problem on how The Elite Ride or Die's (better than Stan?) swarm whenever you dare say a critical or negative word about them, and how dare we question these Saviors of wrestling. Acting as if no other promotion exists in the US and this is the only one that can possibly break the stranglehold of the evil WWE, and how if we even DARE TO QUESTION, we're just WWE loyalists that want to see it fail and want the status quo to remain.  

It's even more annoying when people act as if AEW is the only viable alternative when at no point in history as so much and so varied Pro Wrestling been as accessable as it is now, and not just in the US, the WORLD.  But only Cody can save us.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am sure why JR needed to throw in the part about being unhappy about it being a 3 man booth but here we are

Because JR is an old unprofessional coot that doesn't care anymore buy wouldn't turn down "the most lucrative announcer contract in wrestling history"?

FWIW The Wrap is reporting that, while the deal isn’t done, the talks with AEW and TBS/TNT are in advanced stages and May upfronts are the target for having it announced (but that’s not a hard deadline).

1 hour ago, CSC said:

They haven't run them inside the Hangar itself, but the OC Fair usually has a couple lucha shows every year in the outdoor sports arena, so I would assume the venue would be open to the idea. 

Would they claim it as Los Angeles like TNA did for UC Irvine?

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think the most interesting part of that is they’ll be in Atlanta to practice.

giphy.gif

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7