DVDVR Message Board

So AEW has a TV deal (aka Rippa stupidly starts another AEW thread)

nofuture

Probably. I only mentioned Showtime because it's the other PPV service I could think of.

I think the most telling part about PPV or airing big shows/events is going to be how well UFC solely on ESPN+ unfolds. There's a lot of people out there who don't have broadband service or are able to have more than 20 or 25 mbps for broadband who can't stream this shit. I like Dave and Bryan, but there's some shit about them that obviously bugs me, one of which being how much in the bubble they are. When the UFC PPVs airing on ESPN+ only was announced, they couldn't fathom there would be that many people out there without broadband.

All you have to do is spend 15 seconds typing into Google to see that there's a lot of people who don't have broadband in this country.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Dave not understanding the less than subtle Fyre Festival reference of Kenny's commercial is classic Dave. 

Oh my god, that's the latest one where I was just like "come on, Dave, jesus..." I think once a week while listening to WOR or WOL I find myself saying that or "come on, Bryan, jesus..."

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think this has been my biggest annoyance that I've kept tight lipped about. I always just figured, y'know, these people are going to eat crow once the tv deal does come out. There was just no need for Raziel (sorry buddy, you're not the only one, but it's the one name I can think of) to be a cynical dick about the whole TV deal stuff. It's like they were actively rooting against AEW and I can't even fathom why anyone would be so against something like this to doubt most facets of it.

It doesn't make anyone who was doing this a bad person or anything, but man, before you hit the Submit Reply button, maybe think if you have to add yet another post about how this is a sham, how the TV deal is phony, how this is all a scam by Tony Khan and others, and on and on. 

Counterpoint: AEW stans were just as hyperbolic, just in the other direction.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Counterpoint: AEW stans were just as hyperbolic, just in the other direction.

Oh yeah? I'll wait for quotes.

And "stans?" Really? Jesus...

• Like 2

Indeed. If ever a word was crying out to be framistanned, that's the one. Although it would lead to confusion when we discussed Jumbo Tsuruta vs Vaguely Homophobic Slur Hansen.

• Like 3

More over, think for just a minute about saying, "well, AEW fans were just as hyperbolic." For starters, being excited or hopeful or positive for a new company that is actually viable is hyperbolic?

Secondly, it's a thread for the company a bunch of folks are excited or positive for. Do you think any of them were asking for your snarky input to shit on people excited for it? Do you think it was necessary or needed for others to go in and give their wrestlingopinionz4u about how this is all a sham to again shit on anyone excited for it?

And people wonder how this shit gets derailed. People are going along just fine talking about what this thing could be or tossing around their ideas for what they'd like to see and then they have to deal with a bunch of snark and cynicism from others.

• Like 5

Guest Edwin

Is 15 hours a record on here? ??‍♂️

Seriously, the thread has been open for 15 hours and you all already turning it into a derailed mess.

Edited by Edwin

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

More over, think for just a minute about saying, "well, AEW fans were just as hyperbolic." For starters, being excited or hopeful or positive for a new company that is actually viable is hyperbolic?

Secondly, it's a thread for the company a bunch of folks are excited or positive for. Do you think any of them were asking for your snarky input to shit on people excited for it? Do you think it was necessary or needed for others to go in and give their wrestlingopinionz4u about how this is all a sham to again shit on anyone excited for it?

And people wonder how this shit gets derailed. People are going along just fine talking about what this thing could be or tossing around their ideas for what they'd like to see and then they have to deal with a bunch of snark and cynicism from others.

JFC, I'm not shitting on anyone who is excited for AEW. I just don't think there's a need for anyone to spike the football just because AEW got a TV deal and not everyone took it as a given from day one.

But if you want to keep proving my point, then by all means, keep going.

• Like 1

tumblr_niqpcrlz8m1smcbm7o1_250.gif

They (allegedly) have a TV deal.  Good for them.  I'll be nice and leave my snarky shit out of the thread and let the The Elite Ride or Die's hoot an holler about having the second best promotion in the US and how Saints Cody, Kenny, Matt, and Nick are the only ones that can stand to Satan Vince and Paul the Antichrist before a match is even promoted under their banner.  I'll show myself out, have fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Going by his topic in the Network section I think he really did go freakin' nuts. *it's a lame joke, Raz, don't mind me.

TNT/TBS was a foregone conclusion so as long as it's a show on one of their channels then I'm very cool with that.  The HBO part of it is very interesting and something I never expected.

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Going by his topic in the Network section I think he really did go freakin' nuts. *it's a lame joke, Raz, don't mind me.

99-02 was a very trying time to get through.

• Like 1

I wonder what venue would be the best to run for your very first TV. I would say All State or Sears Center, but they're already running the Sears Center for All In 2 at the end of August. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I wonder what venue would be the best to run for your very first TV. I would say All State or Sears Center, but they're already running the Sears Center for All In 2 at the end of August. 

I second Center Stage. The funny thing is that they'd actually fill it with people who wanted to be there and not just whoever they could find on the street and it'd have entirely the wrong feel.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I second Center Stage. The funny thing is that they'd actually fill it with people who wanted to be there and not just whoever they could find on the street and it'd have entirely the wrong feel.

That's not a bad idea actually. Crowd would be really hot for it. The only thing with that is back when NXT did tapings there, I was surprised at how small it looked. It looked really, really small and I think Full Sail looks pretty small to begin with.

• Like 1

The HBO part is actually quite interesting in terms of the UK, because all HBO USA shows are under contract to SKY TV, but Sky also have a clause in their WWE deal that they can't show any non WWE pro wrestling on any Sky channel. This is why, when they bought Living TV and Bravo et al from Virgin, they immediately rebranded them as SKY Living et cetera (they cancelled Bravo and assigned all it's shows to Sky 1), except Challenge TV, which only changed it's name after it cancelled TNA Impact. It's Sky Challenge now. Shows a lot of Bullseye reruns.

So anyway, it'll be interesting to see if AEW just sits on TCM like Nitro used to, or if a big channel comes in for them (BBC too posh, ITV still sulking about WoS, Channel 4 still sulking about Royal Rumble 2000, Channel 5 has a deal with Impact but it might not be exclusive... BT Sport perhaps?).

Another item for the wish list if they're running PPVs - Run the show on a Saturday. Maybe it's me just getting older, but I hate watching a big show on Sunday and have to work the next day. That might be problematic with working around UFC and boxing though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Another item for the wish list if they're running PPVs - Run the show on a Saturday. Maybe it's me just getting older, but I hate watching a big show on Sunday and have to work the next day. That might be problematic with working around UFC and boxing though.

So long as they know not to book it when there's a boxing show then I don't see the issue with this.  Like WWE I'm sure they can see when the shows are coming up months in advance.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

If pro wrestling returns to the MUTHA SHIP on Saturday nights again, I will lose my shit.

They's goin' to tha PAY WINDAH, Tony Schiavone!

I'm curious to see how this all works out. . .and whether or not there's space for more wrestling on my DVR.

• Like 1

Not sure if they've done pro wrestling there, but the Hangar in Costa Mesa looks like a venue from the territorial days. Plus, they can use the Fairgrounds Grandstand Arena in the same vicinity if they want to do an outdoor show.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I've read that their monthly big shows, if they don't go on HBO (and they're seemingly out of the sports business now) would go on Bleacher Report Live since you can buy individual events instead of it being a subscription streaming service. It's basically just iPPV, really.

If they're keeping all of their content on Warner/Turner services, I doubt anything will end up on Showtime.

Some of the boxing writers (like Steve Kim) were bitching about the decision, but as a fan myself, the HBO boxing matchmaking helped them out greatly with that decision. If I can get better ratings doing something else, why would I pay a 1-2 million dollar licensing fee per show for a star driven niche sport that doesn't have many stars? As far boxing goes w/ HBO, I would say common sense won out and I'm saying that as a giant boxing fan. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Probably. I only mentioned Showtime because it's the other PPV service I could think of.

I think the most telling part about PPV or airing big shows/events is going to be how well UFC solely on ESPN+ unfolds. There's a lot of people out there who don't have broadband service or are able to have more than 20 or 25 mbps for broadband who can't stream this shit. I like Dave and Bryan, but there's some shit about them that obviously bugs me, one of which being how much in the bubble they are. When the UFC PPVs airing on ESPN+ only was announced, they couldn't fathom there would be that many people out there without broadband.

All you have to do is spend 15 seconds typing into Google to see that there's a lot of people who don't have broadband in this country.

The guy from the Wrestlemania weekend Q&A had me in tears unintentionally. Let me follow both MMA and pro wrestling but live in the fucking nowhere where I can't get internet. And it's not like both sports weren't trending in that direction. Once DAZN got into the picture, it was a wrap on a lot of boxing and MMA content being on TV. 

• Like 1