DVDVR Message Board

The "Sasha Banks is losing her smile" thread

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Lots of underutilized talent go places after hovering around in limbo. There are dozens of examples of people who suddenly got a push without taking to Twitter to call for it or regularly acting unprofessionally on camera. 

I'm not really gonna argue with that (except I think 'regularly acting unprofessionally on camera' is a bit strong. But I reckon there's many more examples of guys or girls being way underutilised and probably losing their shot because they just tried to play the good soldier. The squeaky wheel and all that.

But, of course, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, so, again, it's all speculation.

Whether the reason Sasha had for canceling was legitimate or not, you know WWE still has to be upset because if the Wendy Williams folks are mad about it, they are very likely not to take calls from WWE about booking anyone else any time soon.

As much as I am NOT in the target demo for Wendy's show, that would have been another good score in the "WWE is mainstream entertainment" department.

If something deeper mentally - or God forbid, physically - is going on with Sasha I really hope she gets the help she needs. 

• Like 1

It was only a matter of time before this thread got created considering how discussions about Sasha have gone in the past.  I find it interesting reading how different the viewpoints are though I feel the truth is ultimately a mix of both sides.

I hope Sasha isn't having an issue with her mental state but if that's the case she shouldn't be afraid to speak up about it.  Mauro had a Showtime show about it and you have folks like Aleister speak freely about it online and in podcasts.  So if it's that she shouldn't feel alone.  But whether it is or not her along with Bayley are struggling with their worth to the company.  They both feel they're worth a lot more than they're being allowed to show even though they have had various successes on the main roster.  Bayley hasn't outright said anything bad but you can definitely sense frustration on her end (Steve Austin's podcast comes to mind)  Sasha is just more explicit about it for better or worse.  It also doesn't help that their feud last year was universally panned by critics and fans alike.  Whether that was the booking or whatever they came up with that had to have messed with them.

Sasha really needs to go elsewhere but it depends on her contract.  But it would be nice for her to remind herself that despite her perception of things she's given more opportunities than she might realize.  She's been in commercials and has gone down avenues that Bayley hasn't been contacted to do.  Heck, she even had a show made after her likeness (so did New Day but you get my point)  And if Sasha was invited for the Wendy Williams show then that means that she was trusted to go on there and be a great guest.  Unless there's something we don't know about I don't blame the show-runners for being upset.  So while it's great to want more I hope that she realizes that her worth to the company isn't as bad she might think it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I'm not sure anyone needed several pages of Niners replying to every post telling people they can have their opinion but Sasha is factually the best.

I didn't say she's factually the best and I only replied to people who quoted me or @'d me like you. Anyone can have their opinion.   However, when people quote me and tell me that some of these other women's wrestlers who are being pushed ahead of her are better,  it's no different than someone saying Big Cass is better than Daniel Bryan.  It doesn't make sense. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

I'm not 100% sure that this whole "booboo face" isn't a product of confirmation bias.  Maybe I need someone to post a side-by-side comparison, but Sasha looks the same coming to the ring whether she ultimately wins or loses.  I get a sense that other people see that too, but then when she loses, they rewind to her entrance and say, "See?!??! Booboo face!!!"

• Like 2

Dean Ambrose hated how he was booked, kept his mouth shut, did as he was told (while making a booboo face, come to think of it) and left. Is that the right way to have gone about it? 

I'm not saying WWE can't book a good angle. Clearly they can, they've had some great angles recently. But top to bottom, an awful lot of the roster has to feel like they aren't being used to the best of their ability. Are we to hate them for caring about that? Do you prefer wrestlers who don't give a shit?

31 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

They both feel they're worth a lot more than they're being allowed to show even though they have had various successes on the main roster.

I think it's worth mentioning that *literally everyone on the roster* feels this way, and arguably no one can ever really succeed in wrestling without that attitude. The difference is that, out of a vast roster, Sasha stands head and shoulders above everyone else as the whiniest and least professional. The reason it comes up as often as it does with her is because there are always new examples. No one should be able to see her unhappiness on TV, and most of the roster has no problem being professional and doing their job without their dissatisfaction showing. When people are visibly unhappy, they are called out for it. It is absolutely not a gender thing - Nakamura and Orton being shitty when unmotivated is a regular talking point here.

Catching up on posts but Sasha and Bayley both have been abjectly bad for years now and have regressed as promos and characters. Sasha and, to a lesser extent, Bayley were both given significantly more chances than Becky and didn't deliver whether it was promos, segments or in-ring. I have to repeat just how bad their promos are. With maybe the exception of Nattie, the worst female talkers in the company. 

Alexa is one of the better promos in the company and has more charisma than both. Charlotte has never not delivered when given a chance. Even Asuka, despite her bad booking, shows up and delivers in any spot they give her. Look at Carmella and how she took what should have been a nothing role with R Truth and made it work. You can look at woman after woman in the company and see improvement or see them doing their best to make lemons out of lemonade. 

Sasha and Bayley got saddled with really bad booking but the big issue to me was that they clearly didn't even try to make anything work. They can both go away. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

But top to bottom, an awful lot of the roster has to feel like they aren't being used to the best of their ability. Are we to hate them for caring about that? Do you prefer wrestlers who don't give a shit?

I'm not going to "hate." But even among my favourites, I don't have a high tolerance for bitterness unless you're expressing it in a way I find amusing. I like Punk, Revival, Bret, etc. But they're all way too much sometimes.

Now you might be curious why I don't express that more often. It's because those acts don't have people who give conversations about them their own gravitational pull. 

23 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Catching up on posts but Sasha and Bayley both have been abjectly bad for years now and have regressed as promos and characters. Sasha and, to a lesser extent, Bayley were both given significantly more chances than Becky and didn't deliver whether it was promos, segments or in-ring. I have to repeat just how bad their promos are. With maybe the exception of Nattie, the worst female talkers in the company. 

Alexa is one of the better promos in the company and has more charisma than both. Charlotte has never not delivered when given a chance. Even Asuka, despite her bad booking, shows up and delivers in any spot they give her. Look at Carmella and how she took what should have been a nothing role with R Truth and made it work. You can look at woman after woman in the company and see improvement or see them doing their best to make lemons out of lemonade. 

Sasha and Bayley got saddled with really bad booking but the big issue to me was that they clearly didn't even try to make anything work. They can both go away. 

I don't think this is remotely true. When Sasha is given something to do, she usually delivers at least on a par with anyone else in the company. The tag team with Bayley hasn't really worked for whatever reason, but I don't think it's because either one wasn't trying. They were both clearly proud of the team and being champions.

I love Becky, but let's be honest, she was doing a whole lot of nothing for like a year before finally being given the ball and running with it. I don't see any difference between her performances/level of effort prior to becoming The Man, and Sasha's performance/level of effort. People seem to forget Charlotte's feud with Carmella in which she wrestled like she clearly didn't give a crap and acted like the whole thing was below her (which maybe it was, but still). The next time Alexa has a great match will be the first time, no matter how great she supposedly is on the mic. Mella and Asuka always seem to throw themselves into everything though, no doubt.

• Like 4

Well nobody's a big enough supporter of Ms Lynch unless they're willing to emigrate to Uzbekistan.

Edited by AxB

39 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The one positive of this whole stupid thread is that I'm now only one Bayley stan away from completing the collection.    Hi @Niners Fan in CT 

Don’t look at me I’m all in on blindly defending the IIconics now ?

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Haha 1

Sasha and Bayley obviously needed to be pushed down the card for the Becky-Charlotte-Rhonda stuff and I'm not sure why you would argue for their inclusion considering what we got.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

You can't change Rippa's title though.

Notice I haven't said anything about Bayley in the now like 3 years I haven't given a shit about her... thanks WWE

Well except for folks spelling her name correctly

• Like 2