DVDVR Message Board

The "Sasha Banks is losing her smile" thread

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've also never noticed Sasha's "booboo face" but the last two nights Bayley came out looking like she, to steal a line from Buffy, was just diagnosed with cancer of the puppy.

When Raw went to commercial after Alexa/Bailey ended, Bayley immediately stopped selling and walked to the back like nothing happened. Yeah, it’s a TV show, but good grief, really?

As for anyone who trashes their own company on social media (not only Sasha), I won’t shed a tear for what follows. Can any of you get away with something like that? I wouldn’t even bother showing up to work the next day. They’d have already cleaned out my desk for me.

The booboo face is a whole other level. You gotta stick up for yourself, but there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it. Sabotaging your colleagues is the wrong way.

• Like 2

By the way, Wendy Williams can eat shit. If I feel bad for anyone, it's the producers and crew who have to rush around to find a replacement and salvage a production and a taping.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, matt925 said:

All the wrestling angles are done through Twitter now, why is this any different? There could be 100 reasons she didn’t do the Wendy Williams show. 

The #1 reason I wouldn't do the Wendy Williams Show if I were Sasha...

Wendy Williams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

FTR, I don't dislike Sasha. But this idea held by some (maybe just one) that she's some revelation to the women's division and should be handled with kid gloves as a result is asinine. She's no linchpin. She's a role player. A good one, like Bayley and Natalya, but she's not a STAR star.

That's your opinion, that's fine..  but she absolutely was THE star of the division and the only thing that changed is they decided to have her put over everyone else for 4 years. Her and Bayley got a great reaction at Elimination Chamber,  a genuine heartfelt crowd reaction because the fans all know they've had to eat shit time and time again.  Listen to the way most podcasters including Meltz and Bryan or whoever reacted to the Ronda vs. Sasha match versus how they reacted to the triple threat on Sunday. 

It's not just me,  it's pretty much universally accepted that Sasha had a better match with Ronda. She's a star who they fucked over.  Just like Braun and many others..  it happens a lot

• Like 1

Sasha and Bayley were the STAR stars of NXT. I'm thinking that Sasha would rather be a STAR in a small pond instead of trying to stand out in a big pond?

Anyway, she should just leave the company for AEW if she can. This might be the first time since WCW was signing anybody and everybody in the mid-'90s that women have a chance to move to another company and make decent money in the process. 

I say this as someone who also hasn't seen a WWE show since 2016, so I didn't know about Sasha-face or what-have-you. It must be rough to have NXT booked around you and then to move on and be interchangeable to some degree, which isn't meant to be an excuse for Sasha, but is just an observation. I don't think that I'd be thrilled about going from centerpiece of the brand to semi-directionless and not the centerpiece. Neville/PAC certainly wasn't, either. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

On that note, though I was pointing it out with Bayley, she's one of my absolute favorite acts in wrestling (I literally have six Bayley T-shirts in my closet right now) and I'm okay with her having her emotion overcome her on one show. But I hope it's not a trend.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

On that note, though I was pointing it out with Bayley, she's one of my absolute favorite acts in wrestling (I literally have six Bayley T-shirts in my closet right now) and I'm okay with her having her emotion overcome her on one show. But I hope it's not a trend.

If you were working for a company and you were clearly better than your peers, worked your ass off to get a promotion and then here comes someone who the manager likes or it's the owner's kid or some bullshit and they receive the promotion instead which is a situation that happens all the time aren't you going to be infuriated?  What are your options.. Well,  in the entertainment industry airing grievances on social media is common place. Sasha/Bayley haven't even really shit on their company at all compared to musicians/athletes. The Revival have been more vocal. 

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

well, now that there's an AEW to go to, perhaps they will.

Long term deals are what it's in the best interest of the WWE to offer (in terms of marketplace/labor pool control) so that's what they're going to offer, take it or leave it, particularly when they're not subject to credible marketplace competition.

Baseball teams want to lock guys down with long term deals before they hit free agency for similar reason.  Players who want to test the market sign shorter term deals and/or negotiate player option years so they can move around.

Definitely feel that WWE's creative malaise is exacerbated by lack of roster turnover and guys not having somewhere else to go when their act starts to naturally turn stale

The bigger problem with "short term deals" vs. "long term deals" is ultimately: A short term deal is basically betting on yourself.

If you take a short term deal- on the positive side, you're betting on yourself...but for every Cody Rhodes (who had bet on himself, and won the bet to the point he can name his terms for any and everything possible), there's a Curt Hawkins- who tried betting on himself to become a top indie superstar after his release, didn't manage to take, and ended up taking a position as a WWE jobber because...hey, the WWE money's good, and at the end of the day Hawkins just isn't GOOD ENOUGH to be a top star.

And Hawkins just being allowed back would make Hawkins one of the lucky ones- if you take a short term deal, you're running the risk that when you give fans a chance to miss you...you find out they don't miss you in the least.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If you were working for a company and you were clearly better than your peers, worked your ass off to get a promotion and then here comes someone who the manager likes or it's the owner's kid or some bullshit and they receive the promotion instead which is a situation that happens all the time aren't you going to be infuriated?  What are your options.. Well,  in the entertainment industry airing grievances on social media is common place. Sasha/Bayley haven't even really shit on their company at all compared to musicians/athletes. The Revival have been more vocal. 

If you're working for a company and you're working your ass off to get a promotion, someone who the manager likes or the owner's kid or some bullshit receives the promotion instead...and instead of deciding to go look for another job where you'd be treated better OR sucking it up, realizing you're better off with it than without it, and working just as hard for the person in charge... you decide to make it your mission to undermine the person who got the promotion instead of you out of spite...how much better than your peers are you, really?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Actually, I don't think a lot do since he was doing that to Hogan.

The funny thing is, Hogan had him lay on the mat for a ten count. Which he would do sometimes to be a dick.

10 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The bigger problem with "short term deals" vs. "long term deals" is ultimately: A short term deal is basically betting on yourself.

That happened to Perry Saturn when he left WCW. He took a two year deal and when it came up, there was no more WCW.

Sasha is ultimately her own biggest fan, as you really should be if you are in wrestling. She should fight for herself and stand up for herself. She's done multiple interviews where she's said that her and Bayley basically had to annoy Vince into the women's tag titles happening. She's hit her ceiling as a babyface with a vengeance and ultimately needs to be a heel, as the character comes off like such an unlikeable bitch half the time. And before anyone gets mad, let me just repeat that her character comes off like a bitch and I don't buy her as a babyface for a second.

All that being said, my only issue with her is that I can tell the outcome of her match the second she steps through the curtain. My daughter who only really watches for Asuka has picked up on it and asked me if they were losing at WrestleMania. I'm sure its hard to put your frustration aside and all, but when it's literally every time she loses she looks like her puppy was murdered right before she walked through the curtain its crazy. Fight for yourself and what you believe in backstage but when you get out there show the powers that be why you believe you deserve more and show them how good you are.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

If you're working for a company and you're working your ass off to get a promotion, someone who the manager likes or the owner's kid or some bullshit receives the promotion instead...and instead of deciding to go look for another job where you'd be treated better OR sucking it up, realizing you're better off with it than without it, and working just as hard for the person in charge... you decide to make it your mission to undermine the person who got the promotion instead of you out of spite...how much better than your peers are you, really?

They can't just go look for another job immediately like we could.  Also, Sasha didn't undermine The IIconics.  She retweeted this immediately after the match.  

8 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

I'm sure its hard to put your frustration aside and all, but when it's literally every time she loses she looks like her puppy was murdered right before she walked through the curtain its crazy. Fight for yourself and what you believe in backstage but when you get out there show the powers that be why you believe you deserve more and show them how good you are.

She had to know she had no chance in hell of going over Ronda.  But she still flew out to New York to train, I have to assume on her own dime and added new things to the match and most people said it was either the best or second best match on the card.  She does show them how good she is.  It doesn't seem to matter. 

Hawkins didn't have the two biggest names on the indies looking out for him, either. Multiple former indy stars in WWE all told the Young Bucks to help Cody and look out for him after he requested his release and made a big stir on Twitter about his future and then the list, etc. Hawkins was terminated, and went back to small indies, places like GFW/Impact, and opened up his own wrestling school earlier in the year.

• Like 2

But the Ronda match is a good example of her professionalism. Like you said, she had to know from the word go she wasn't winning. But she busted her ass anyway and all the training she was doing made its way on social media. And when she showed up in front of the cameras, she didn't look like she was pouting, She looked like she was ready to throw hands and tear this bitch who dared think she belonged in the ring with her for more then 30 seconds pay for breathing the same air as her. It was a great match.

I'm with you that her booking sucks. She never should have been teaming with Bayley, they should have been feuding as they have teased for.....how long now? And she'd make a perfect challenger for Becky. But god damn, learn how to put a poker face on when you on camera

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard Curt Hawkins say on a couple podcasts that he could've made decent money on the indies for the next decade, but with his daughter being born he felt WWE held more security. Hawkins is probably a success story overall. He opened a wrestling school that's produced some good ones and books local indy shows.

• Like 4

Vince / WWE seems way more high on actions rather than words.  Austin always said on his podcast that you couldn’t go to Vince and complain unless you were prepared to offer an alternative, and that’s from Austin.  

I dread to think how hard it must be for people way lower down the food chain to approach management in that company, let alone ask for an improved role.

I love Sasha and think her frustration is largely justified. I'm not sure taking to social media to vent is the best way to deal with it, but it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, because just putting your head down and getting on with it doesn't seem to get you anywhere either.

I guess we don't really know what kind of 'headache' she is, or isn't, behind the scenes, but just going on talent and star power and being a complete package, and always believed and still believe that she should be the centrepiece of the women's division. That said, this run with Bayley really hasn't done her any favours. It's strange that this team seems to have exposed her flaws, while hiding Bayley's.

I also haven't noticed her 'booboo' face, but enough people bring it up that I accept it's probably a thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I love Sasha and think her frustration is largely justified. I'm not sure taking to social media to vent is the best way to deal with it, but it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, because just putting your head down and getting on with it doesn't seem to get you anywhere either.

Lots of underutilized talent go places after hovering around in limbo. There are dozens of examples of people who suddenly got a push without taking to Twitter to call for it or regularly acting unprofessionally on camera. 

I get why this thread was split off, but I'm not sure anyone needed several pages of Niners replying to every post telling people they can have their opinion but Sasha is factually the best.

I fully understand why Sasha is frustrated.  She is as good as any woman on the roster but only seems to get short pushes while Charlotte and Alexa seem to be pushed constantly.  It would be one thing if everyone got their turn, but it always seems to be Charlotte, Alexa, and Ronda's turn, and everyone else has to get in where they fit in.  I watched Wrestlemania at a friend's house, and one of the things that we talked about is how they have too many people.  There is just plain not enough space to have Charlotte, Becky, Alexa, Ronda, Asuka, Sasha, Baley, Ember, Ruby, Liv, etc.  People are going to fall through the cracks, and Sasha is pretty much in a constant loop of climbing out of the crack, just to be knocked right back down so she has to climb up again.  

• Like 5