DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Someone's Habit of Opening Threads Too Early - 4/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

The Lacy vs Lynch feud has already surpassed the awful mania main event build. It's great to see Becky back cutting her promos again. Evans is a decent brawler. 

I'm sure we'll have an idea of Becky's other opponents following the shake up. The Asuka rematch is coming. Stop soiling your diapers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

TBF, Naomi was going off on how the SDL women's roster, minus Becky and Charlotte, were being ignored. She's right. Several last-minute cancelled matches, her losing a 25-second match to Mandy Rose, no buildup for then champion Asuka leading into WM. 

She didn't blame Becky or Charlotte for that, in case that's a question for anyone. She directly replied to WWE when they announced the Women's Battle Royal. She made a lot of strong points, but the usual suspects came after her for the usual reasons, instead of acknowledging she was correct.

She did make some very good points that went over the heads of many. I keep thinking WWE is going to be petty and put her and Jimmy on different brands though. Because this company....

I enjoyed Lacey Evans in NXT but there was nothing about her last months there that screamed “ready for the main roster” but I’m willing to give her a chance though. We’ll see how well this project goes. 

I’m here for the IIconics challenging more “undefeated” teams. 

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

No need to be a dickhead, Dolfan in NYC with the thread title about me.

Oh, I'm just taking the piss out of us.  Note, I say us, because I do it plenty too. ?

• Thanks 1

Just to go along with the "Shit or Get Off the Pot" nature of the brand split right now

Following people appeared on both shows this week

• Becky Lynch
  • New Day
  • The Bar
  • Aleister Black/Ricochet
  • Lacey Evans
  • Lars Sullivan
  • Sami Zayn
  • IIconics (backstage video only for RAW)

People Who Appeared on the Other Brands Show

• Drew McIntyre
  • Braun Strowman

Nothing of this matters with the shakeup happening but if that trend continues post Shakeup then you know which way the wind was blowing

• Like 1

Speaking of Lars...

STOP DOING THE DIVING HEADBUTT

For fucks sale, his knees aren't great to begin with and the diving headbutt is just begging for head, neck, and knee problems. I'm sure Lars probably doesn't want to wear the huge knee braces he was wearing in NXT when he stopped using the diving headbutt the first time.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of Lars...

STOP DOING THE DIVING HEADBUTT

For fucks sale, his knees aren't great to begin with and the diving headbutt is just begging for head, neck, and knee problems. I'm sure Lars probably doesn't want to wear the huge knee braces he was wearing in NXT when he stopped using the diving headbutt the first time.

Diving headbutt has done damage to so many wrestlers. Surprised it's not on the WWE banned list with traditional Piledrivers.

48 minutes ago, scatterheart said:

Why o why is the lug head going to the top rope in the first place? 

What was his NXT finisher? It’s nice to see a fresh heel but this Sullivan thing has failure written all over it. Snitsky all over again.

Lars is a lot better than Snitsky and his finishers were the diving headbutt and the Freak Accident. He stopped using the diving headbutt for a good long while though, presumably because he was fucking his knees up.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Diving headbutt has done damage to so many wrestlers. Surprised it's not on the WWE banned list with traditional Piledrivers.

It certainly should be, it's a stupid move in the first place, risky as hell for both participants and brings with it a long list of shortened careers, serious physical problems and worst of all. it's totally unconvincing as a finisher as it requires far too much recovery time to make a pinfall a logical outcome. In other words, high risk = small reward; needs to go away entirely. 

What's lost in all this discussion is that once again,, what works at Full Sail doesn't necessarily  translate well to the main shows. In NXT Lars was always about a nuanced performance, bright and articulate away from the ring, a snarling monster once the bell rang. A good deal of thought was put into the character just as a great deal of thought was put into the Lacey persona. They gave her a backstory that essentially sounded like John Cena as The Marine, you simply couldn't have someone with her background as anything but a natural babyface, so what do they do? Make her an entitled, arrogant heel. Simply brilliant character development, then unfortunately the bell rings and what we see is to put it kindly, not good. A huge part of this failure is predicated on her having a totally illegal move as her finisher. I've hated the gimmick of a closed fist as a finisher going all the way back to when Ron Garvin was doing it. Look, if your finisher is a totally illegal move, you are a de facto heel no matter how else you're booked. It's a sloppy bit of crap booking that needs to away sooner rather than later. 

That's two moves that have totally outlived whatever usefulness they once had. The diving headbutt was risky with a low reward back when Harley Race was first doing it (and it made no sense in the context of Harley's back story as a great brawler/wrestler. Race had so many ways to beat you it was always fun guessing how he was going to win this time; then for reasons that remain obscure to me he suddenly starts winning every match with this stupid diving headbutt that is shown to be as damaging to the person delivering it as it is to the person on the receiving end. In the case of Harley and later with Chris Benoit and Daniel Bryan you see the results of permanent brain damage in the two younger men. (I'm not going to turn this into a Benoit apologist discussion, but I do place a large amount of the blame for Benoit's basically turning his brain into Swiss cheese on the diving headbutt. In the case of all three men during their peak periods all three were in the discussion for GINA (Greatest in North America) and all three had volumes of ways to win a match based on being among the very best wrestlers on the planet. So how are these versatile and amazingly talented men booked to win their matches? Why with a diving headbutt of course! This went so far beyond lazy booking to drifting really, really close to criminal incompetence on the part of the writers for both WWE and WCW. Race was winding down his career when he started using the move as a finisher and seems to have dodged that particular bullet, we can (and have) spent hours discussing how Benoit was a pretty fucked up human being from the get go and pounding his brain into mush certainly exacerbated his turn into a monster, and now we have the questionable pleasure of watching Daniel Bryan (who has already shown clear signs of brain damage) continue to use this ridiculous high-risk=low-reward move as a finisher when he's clearly talented enough to do dozens of other things to win a match. SMH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OSJ said:

GINA

I appreciate that awesome discussion, I do.

But I'm so much the twat that i can't help but zero in on this part.

I anxiously await our coming debates on who should be the biggest GINAs in wrestling, only for some of us shitasses to get the thread shut down over ... well, what I presume would be "obvious reasons".

Edited by nate
  • Haha 1

BTW - Meltzer was talking about this on the radio show after RAW and told a story about basically Harley wishing he never "invented" the top rope headbutt because of all the people copying it now and the injury problems it causes

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - Meltzer was talking about this on the radio show after RAW and told a story about basically Harley wishing he never "invented" the top rope headbutt because of all the people copying it now and the injury problems it causes

Yep. Harley's been saying this for nearly a decade.

Not getting the Lacey vs Becky hate. Lacey is a clear, easy to boo heel so the match should get over fine. If Becky is the star she's supposed to be, she'll make it work. It'll probably get a high profile slot at the next PPV and plenty of time so it won't be an Alexa/Bayley in San Jose deal. 

They can cut good promos, Lacey has good size and athleticism and they should be able to work around her limitations. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

In The Wrestler, wasn’t The Ram Jam a diving headbutt? And didn’t Randy The Ram Robinson die after doing it? The diving headbutt is even a shitty move in the movies.

The end of The Wrestler is open to interpretation. Randy dives off the top and it cuts to the end. I think the Ram Jam was just a splash. It doesn't look like he was going for a headbutt.

• Like 1

I don't mind Becky/Lacey either. Lacey has a good gimmick and cuts a good promo from what I've seen. As a first feud to establish Becky as champ, this should be fine.

Then again, I thought Alexa was just a first feud to establish Becky as champ when she was the first SDL champ. And Alexa ended up taking the belt and it took Becky 2 years to be pushed seriously again. 

11 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Based on a couple of other threads on this board - I now have theories on which accounts Becky is using as a sock puppet around here

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

This all hinges on Lacey being a white nationalist conservative who is trying to restore traditional values of femininity against the so-called Man (an immigrant to boot) by hypocritically punching her in the face repeatedly.

Edited by Matt D
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This all hinges on Lacey being a white nationalist conservative who is trying to restore traditional values of femininity against the so-called Man (an immigrant to boot) by hypocritically punching her in the face repeatedly.

Oh God, stop writing Bix's next long form. 

• Haha 5