DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

On 10/7/2019 at 1:57 AM, Jrag said:

Tsai has weighed in... predictably. https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1181054196000395264?s=20

Since we are living in the weirdest timeline I can only assume this is somehow going to end with Daryl Morey: NY Knicks GM.

I always said that my wildest dream was for that shithole the Barclays Center to be swallowed up by a giant sinkhole never to be seen again. Now my wildest fantasy is for this rat bastard to be standing inside it when it happens.

In a scolding of craven and cowardly tech companies acting as toadies for evil totalitarian governments the late Congressman Tom Lantos called them "Moral Pygmies". The term absolutely applies here.

I know people were mad when the Rockets decided to stop questions about China in that press conference, but...there is nothing good that can happen from answering questions about China.  LeBron is out here uniting America on how terrible his answer was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, not to pull a Natural, but Fuck LeBron James.

Except, we all know what he meant by that.  If Daryl Morey was making a stand for human rights, that would be one thing, but he wasn't.  He tweeted, seen the backlash, and realized that he wasn't nearly that invested.  Now, everyone has to answer questions about something that the person who originally said isn't willing to stand behind.  LeBron should have basically said, "My name's Bennett," but he actually tried to answer the person's question...incredibly poorly.      

I really don't agree with your take on this. He was basically bullied into taking his comment back and how "complicated" the situation is after seeing the financial damage it caused. It really isn't as complicated as people who have business interests in Mainland China are making out. Morey is likely doing this softened stance bullshit to keep his job. LeBron talks that good shit about domestic policies but is two-faced when it comes to something that may interfere with endorsements, salary cap, and Space Jam 2 ticket sales. 

• Like 3

The Chinese Government thing ain't complicated.  Either you're for human rights, or you're for money.  Yeah, probably shouldn't miss business and politics, and Morey probably cost the Rockets a ton of money, but he's still the best damn GM in the game.  And, honestly, if the Chinese Government didn't want people paying attention to the Hong Kong protests and cops shooting protesters and shit like that, they probably shouldn't have Streisand Effect'd themselves by making a bit shit about all that stuff.  And Joe Tsai can shut the fuck up.  I doubt most Chinese people couldn't give a shit one way or another about Hong Kong, but since the Chinese Government can imprison and torture anyone that shows any dissent (if you were a Rockets jersey you're a terrorist), it is what it is.  And, hell, that sounds like a good reason to protest.  And be clear, this is a Chinese Government issue, not a China issue. 

I'm fine with Morey and the Rockets not addressing it anymore, because there's nothing good that's going to come of it.  LeBron should shut the fuck up too.  And Steve Kerr.  And Steph Curry, too.  I don't think he's said anything about it, but he should just shut the fuck up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I really don't agree with your take on this. He was basically bullied into taking his comment back and how "complicated" the situation is after seeing the financial damage it caused. It really isn't as complicated as people who have business interests in Mainland China are making out. Morey is likely doing this softened stance bullshit to keep his job. LeBron talks that good shit about domestic policies but is two-faced when it comes to something that may interfere with endorsements, salary cap, and Space Jam 2 ticket sales. 

I don't disagree with this, but we can't expect everybody to care about everything to the same degree.  It's very easy to be mad at someone who would rather protect their paycheck over an issue that doesn't really affect them, while not doing anything that would actually affect their own paycheck.  Are we pretending like we are all going to immediately stop doing buying, selling, or doing business with anyone who does business in China?  That's essentially what we're requesting him to do, because China is willing to make that sacrifice.  Yes, he's willing to talk about domestic policies, because they could actually affect him, his family, his community, etc.  We can't expect him to be nearly as invested about what is going on in China and Hong Kong, because he doesn't live in China or Hong Kong.  Seriously, I think Hong Kong should be their own country and have all the freedom in the world.  It doesn't matter, because nothing I say or think is going to have any affect on whether they get freedom or not.  LeBron, Daryl Morey, that Blizzard guy, and a bunch of other people probably think they should be free too, but none of them are willing to go to war about it, because that is what it would take for that to happen.  China would rather close their borders and tell the rest of the world to fuck off than free Hong Kong.  If LeBron takes a stand, is China going to say, "damn, I never thought about it that way," and let Hong Kong have the freedom they want?   Does he have to address what is going on in Spain right now?  How about the Sudan?  Do we really expect the NBA to be able to free any of these people?  

I think LeBron's answer to that question was poorly constructed at best and just plain dumb at worst.  I'm also pretty sure everybody's answer to that question would be closer to dumb than smart in that situation.  I don't expect basketball players should be the people on the front lines fighting for the freedom of people oppressed by foreign governments.  None of these people were actually taking a stand for anything, they were all just talking, because that is what Americans do.  If they were taking a stand, which they weren't, I'd understand why people think they need to stand up to China, but that isn't what any of them were doing.  Colin Kaepernick took a stand (or knee) and was willing to pay the price for that stand.  Enes Kanter is taking a stand and is willing to fight and die for that stand.  Daryl Morey sent a tweet, and LeBron answered a question about that tweet.  That isn't the same. 

For what it's worth I work for a company that has a contract with an international government and it is in our handbook that we can't make public statements about that government.  It hasn't ever come up, but if it did, I'm willing to be quiet about it publicly.  That is essentially what we're talking about.  I don't work for that government, I work for my company.  Like LeBron and Daryl Morey work for the NBA.  They never thought about any of these things before they started talking, and now we expect them to be experts and freedom fighters.  It isn't really realistic.

• Like 1

Good to see that word is spreading fast. I was stoked for this team and it's defensive improvement this season just from adding Horford and Richardson. Thybulle is an added bonus and an added bonus that already has people asking whether or not he is the best defender on the team already. Please no Sixers first round pick injury this year. 

Edited by Cole Miner
  • Like 1

I can't believe Bradley Beal is still only 26.  It feels like he's been in the league forever.  He can probably still sign another max deal after this one.

I just wish he was doing  it somewhere that, you know, mattered.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I can't believe Bradley Beal is still only 26.  It feels like he's been in the league forever.  He can probably still sign another max deal after this one.

I just wish he was doing  it somewhere that, you know, mattered.

When you're guessing basketball players ages, always subtract 2.  Most players good enough to make it to the NBA are good enough by the time they're 19.  When you're guessing football players, it depends on position.  Running backs are all young, and Quarterbacks are all old.