DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I know he's definitely lost a step on defense, but Lebron also put up per 36 career his in PPG and RPG, with his second best APG.

And in the pure version of those stats, he was still above his career average in all 3. 27-8-8 stat lines aren't exactly a sign he's in some steep decline, and he's coming into next year with the most rest he's had since the lockout.

50 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It has a 60% chance of being a total train wreck and Cousins looked washed. Maybe he will be better his second year back.

I think Cousins has something to prove, but even if he is a shell of his former self, Lakers got him for next to nothing, and they already have a decent center in McGee.  A starting five of James/AD/Kuzma/Rondo/McGee is easily their strongest since the disastrous D12/Nash season.  Now if they could only somehow get Iggy out of Memphis...

7 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

60 percent might be low. Lebron has more career minutes than Vince Carter, and I know he is a physical freak and didn't have any college minutes, but prime Lebron is gone and aint coming back.. AD has proven he can't win with a shit cast, and after that their okay, but certainly not great. Baring another trade(and they are pretty much out of assets) they will be good not great, at best. Couldn't happen to a nicer franchise. Fuck the Lakers. . . .

I agree LeBron is past his prime, but if he stays healthy, he's still one of the top 10 players in the league.  Three days ago the Lakers consisted of three players.  I think they have a pretty solid roster now.  Though "NBA Champions" is asking too much.  Probably a 2nd round exit, but they can at least build from there.

7 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I think Cousins has something to prove, but even if he is a shell of his former self, Lakers got him for next to nothing, and they already have a decent center in McGee.  A starting five of James/AD/Kuzma/Rondo/McGee is easily their strongest since the disastrous D12/Nash season.  Now if they could only somehow get Iggy out of Memphis...

I agree LeBron is past his prime, but if he stays healthy, he's still one of the top 10 players in the league.  Three days ago the Lakers consisted of three players.  I think they have a pretty solid roster now.  Though "NBA Champions" is asking too much.  Probably a 2nd round exit, but they can at least build from there.

Okay that seems reasonable. I'm more reacting to the media seeming to think that the Lakers are actual contenders. . . 

According to Zach Lowe's column, the Thunder tried to blow this all up by creating a bidding war for George, offering PG and Westbrook to Toronto for a package of picks and Siakam.

I wonder if Leonard would've went to the Lakers had that happened.

2 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Okay that seems reasonable. I'm more reacting to the media seeming to think that the Lakers are actual contenders. . . 

I don't think they are.  Yet. I don't think the Clippers are either for that matter.  But that's how the media is.  But they absolutely have a base now that can attract better players if they have a strong season.  Lakers didn't win a title at first when Shaq joined them either.  It took years of finding the right mix of talent.  

I think both of them are contenders. The West is deep, and anyone could stumble, but there's no unbeatable monster lurking that we can see. We have to see how Utah and the L.A. teams gel, how Portland pulls themselves back up, how the Warriors fit, etc...

But I wouldn't be shocked by the Clips, Jazz, Blazers, or Lakers winning the West. If Klay comes back strong late in the season, I could even see Golden State sending the massive FU to the world.

• Like 2

People are getting way ahead of themselves trying to compare this Clips squad to the 90s Bulls...

Clippers Nation (@ClipperNationCP) Tweeted: With the addition of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, the resemblance between the 2019-20 Clippers and the 90's Bulls is uncanny. #NBA #NBATwitter https://t.co/3g1jmmJzg1 https://twitter.com/ClipperNationCP/status/1147530361582186496?s=17

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

Let's see the Clippers get past the second round of playoffs for the first time ever before we call them world beaters.

Exactly. Leonard and George might be world beaters.  Williams is a pretty awesome back-up.  I'm not seeing a ton else that tells me the Clippers are NBA champions. 

Edited by sydneybrown

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Exactly. Leonard and George might be world beaters.  Williams is a pretty awesome back-up.  I'm not seeing a ton else that tells me the Clippers are NBA champions. 

It's a talented cast of role players who just added arguably the best two way player and another all-star two way player. They are currently favored to win the title in Vegas for what that's worth. I actually think it's a better team than Toronto was this year.

• Like 1

A 48 win team just swapped out a all-rookie point guard and borderline all-star caliber forward for the guy who finished third in the MVP race and the guy who just arguably stole the crown of best player on the planet, and did so without sacrificing any other depth (they did sacrifice their long-term future quite noticably)

They did so at the same time that the two finalists from last year each lost a two-time Finals MVP.

How does that not look like a contender?

• Like 2

I think the current contenders list is Clippers,  Bucks,  Sixers,  Lakers,  Warriors,  Nuggets,  Rockets and yes UTAH JAZZ.  

You can add the Nets to that list for 2020-21.  

I think teams like the Celtics,  Blazers and Pacers are a move away.  

Load management and health will be a big theme next season with all the top heavy teams.

The number of minutes Lebron has played and AD's injury history are legit concerns.  Kawhi and PG aren't exactly examples of perfect health either. PG's MVP season went to hell after his shoulder stuff and if there's one mystery left with Kawhi, it's his injuries. Who will be closest to 100 percent during the playoffs is obviously key but a lot of that will depend on if the supporting cast can hold up w/o them during the season. Kawhi had that in Toronto last season. PG and Lebron did not. Waiting to see how Clippers fill out the roster.

Also they'll still be moves to make midseason.

Edited by _MJ_

If the Clippers and Lakers aren’t contenders who is? 

The dynasty is dead. It’s time we act accordingly.

Clippers seem like obvious favorites, not sure how anyone could deny that one, but I expect the Lakers to be nearly as good.  They will be rough around the edges, but AD and Lebron is still AD and Lebron. 5 people on the court...

If I was a Lakers fan would I want more than the ‘17 pelicans? Yeah, sure, but they are going to win a ton of game regardless.

Edited by Jrag

The Dallas Mavericks are acquiring Memphis Grizzlies restricted free agent point guard Delon Wright in a sign-and-trade agreement on a new three-year, $29 million contract, agent Greg Lawrence and team sources tell ESPN.

The Grizzlies will receive two future second-round picks in the deal and preserve financial flexibility to pursue other options at point guard.

@RandomAct

Mavs kinda had a downer of an offseason, but I think Delon will work well in Carlisle's system. I'm depressed that Seth, Boban and Delon Wright were the best we could do lol but there is alot of room for someone to move up in the West this season.

Iguodala's trade was announced today by GS. They also announced that his number will be retired. 

Also Kevin Durant will wear number 7 during his time in Brooklyn.

I totally get Golden State retiring these numbers.

I don't get why they'd officially do it while they are playing elsewhere. Just quietly don't issue them until the guy actually retires, then have the big ceremony.

Edit: Also, I'm now wondering if, someday, Toronto will retire Kawhi's.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1