DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I am trying to think of other Super Trios who didn't have any depth on the team.

Miami had a nice surrounding cast of characters with players coming to play for less. 

Golden State had great supporting players. 

San Antonio always had solid depth to help the Big Three. 

When Barkley, Hakeem and Pippen were on the Rockets, who was the 4th guy? Holdovers from the championship years?

Did Cleveland have any depth when they won with LebBron, Kyrie and Love? JR Smith? 

Then we have a team like the 2004 Lakers who signed Payton and Karl Malone and got bounced in the Finals. The Kobe-Howard-Nash Lakers were a disaster. Last year's Thunder team flamed out with Russ, PG and Melo. 

What other Big Three in the Modern Era am I missing? 

The Hakeem / Clyde / Charles team had old Mario Elie and old Kevin Willis and total shit otherwise.  Hakeem / Charles / Scottie depth was even worse.  I mean, Matt Bullard was the next best player on the team.  Maybe old Eddie Johnson, but I don't think he played a ton of minutes.  Those teams were OLD. 

Horry and Cassell were the future of the team and they traded them for Charles.  Still hate that trade. 

Yeah, I don't remember the Rockets having much in those Chuck years. Still, if the Lakers get Kawhi... who else could they get to fill out the team? Can they sign Cousins and Danny Green and other solid role players? 

Assuming Kawhi gets the max I think all they'll have to work with is the MLE (around $4.5M) and vet minimum contracts.  So adding depth without convincing players to take some fairly big haircuts is going to be tough.

Danny Green would have to accept a lot less money to come to LA unless Kawhi doesn't take the full max.  If Kawhi takes anywhere close to the max Green is losing a lot of money.  He's worth at least $10M a year in this market.  

Cousins can be had at this point for a mid level exception.   There isn't much else out there but there will be some buyout guys like Iggy when the Grizz drop him.  He's expected to sign with the Lakers or Houston or another contender. 

Celtics beyond KG,  Pierce and Allen had Rondo,  PJ Brown,  James Posey,  Eddie House, Tony Allen, Sam,  Leon Powe.  

Lakers would get some people in there but if LeBron or somebody got hurt then they'd be fucked. 

It will be interesting since Kawhi, LeBron and AD all have injuries in their pasts. If they join forces without a bench to help them manage minutes... I could easily see one or more breaking down midway through the season.

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Danny Green would have to accept a lot less money to come to LA unless Kawhi doesn't take the full max.  If Kawhi takes anywhere close to the max Green is losing a lot of money.  He's worth at least $10M a year in this market.  

Cousins can be had at this point for a mid level exception.   There isn't much else out there but there will be some buyout guys like Iggy when the Grizz drop him.  He's expected to sign with the Lakers or Houston or another contender. 

Celtics beyond KG,  Pierce and Allen had Rondo,  PJ Brown,  James Posey,  Eddie House, Tony Allen, Sam,  Leon Powe.  

Lakers would get some people in there but if LeBron or somebody got hurt then they'd be fucked. 

Celtics also had Perkins, Big Baby, and Tony Allen giving them minutes, so it wasn't quite as dire as all that.

I have to imagine a big 3 Lakers would treat the regular season the same way the LeBron Cavs did, as an extended training camp for the playoffs.

I think they would need to be extremely dedicated to "load management" of all three, even if it meant being the third or fourth seed instead of fighting for home court. Then hopefully you can unleash three healthy and fresh hall of Fame talents at once.

I think theres a difference between the Boston big 3 and others was that there was at least a home grown superstar in Pierce and KG and Ray Allen were fleeing bad situations where they were never going to win and going somewhere that was not exactly winning anything then.  I think this big 3 is the most forgivable. 

Miami had the best player in the world go to a team not far removed from winning a championship and still had their Finals MVP.  That's bad. 

Golden State had a 73-9 record and had been to the last two finals, and had personally beaten KD and the Thunder, and KD was arguably the best player in the world (at least top 3).  KD going to GS is unforgivable. 

Lakers by virtue of existing, gets free agent LeBron, AD forces a trade to go to LA, and now allegedly getting Kawhi as a free agent.  That's ridiculous.  Just because the Lakers are the Lakers. 

A lot of it is circumstantial derived

Boston struck out on their rebuild plan, Ainge got desperate. KG flat out refused the trade to Boston. Then they pried Allen away, and he changed his mind because he wanted a title. Fair but mercenary.

LeBron got frustrated banging his head against Boston and the lack of effective team building Cleveland had been doing, while having become very close to Wade and Bosh.

Durant happened to hit free agency at just the right year, the only year it was possible to do what happened.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Celtics also had Perkins, Big Baby, and Tony Allen giving them minutes, so it wasn't quite as dire as all that.

I have to imagine a big 3 Lakers would treat the regular season the same way the LeBron Cavs did, as an extended training camp for the playoffs.

They try to pull that  crap in next years West and they'll be lucky to make the playoffs.  The west is going to be very difficult, not the NBA lEast like Lebron had those Cavs teams.

Edited by Kuetsar

5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Jazz sign both Jeff Green and Emmanuel Mudiay to one year deals.

The Jazz are the off-season champions, pending Leonard's decision.

Edited by Brian Fowler

Maybe it's just me, but the Jazz are my sneaky favorites to win the West, as it stands right now. I feel like they had the best offseason in the league, as far as complimenting an already decent team with better additions.

On an unrelated note, the last hope the Mavs have at a decent free agency is Danny Green and Marcus Morris. I say that knowing that Luka/KP(if healthy) is a deadly af combo. I also like that we kept most of our support guys from last year. Not used to Donnie and Cuban actually placing importance on continuity.

And I don't think it was mentioned by Wojo says Isaiah Thomas is signing with the Wizards

I love it when franchises I like to mock sign guys with worse hips than me

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think we are forgetting someone....

2009sep.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Celtics Big 3 wasn't a case of 3 players forcing their way into a superteam.  Celtics had to make transactions to acquire both Allen and KG and Pierce was drafted there.  They weren't best buds from AAU.

It was just Celtics Great, Kevin McHale, trading former MVP of the league, Kevin Garnett, from Minnesota to McHale's former team for...I don't even remember.

But that, of course, is the right way to form a "superteam" so it doesn't get the same ire.

Edited by _MJ_