DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Wait. Did you just post a tweet of some guy saying Kawhi to the Lakers, and then another tweet of a guy saying what we all thought, and that this was unreliable information?

Maybe stop?

• Like 1

Sounds like Kawhi to Lakers is more or less done. And we were this close to a competitive, wide open league this year...

And rumours of Iggy joining them after a Memphis buyout. That makes me so sad.

@Zimbra, yeah... you can't be having Connaughton as a key minutes guy if you're looking to win it all. Great energy and versatility but not enough there to be a backup to 2019-20 Wes Matthews. They need to add another good depth wing and guard and then I'm good to go.

Edited by Oyaji

Who are some players of decent value that could be traded once the FA madness dies down? Lots of teams still needing to fill out their roster with useful players.

Edit: I mean, if this Kawhi to Lakers shit is true, Toronto should be looking to move their vets and do a quick rebuild around Siakam and Anunoby. 

Edited by Oyaji

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Who are some players of decent value that could be traded once the FA madness dies down? Lots of teams still needing to fill out their roster with useful players.

Edit: I mean, if this Kawhi to Lakers shit is true, Toronto should be looking to move their vets and do a quick rebuild around Siakam and Anunoby. 

Anouby and Powell are the only 2 under contract, Anouby has a club option, after this year so theoretically they can go shopping next year and sign Siakam.  Dont know if there are worthwhile trades to be made with their expiring contracts

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Sounds like Kawhi to Lakers is more or less done. And we were this close to a competitive, wide open league this year...

Not to say Kawhi to Lakers doesn‘t suck, but the whole crying about a competitive league does get old when your current champs are the Toronto Raptors.

Who beat Milwaukee in the ECF.

Beat GS. Who were a dynasty for the last 5 years but still. Golden State. Also ran since RunTMC.

Also playoff contenders:

A team from Oklahoma and the friggin Clippers.

Not in the Playoffs: Your league mascot and biggest star.

Your 2018 Eastern Champs.

Teams from Big Markets that have not mattered in 5+ years: Los Angeles, Chicago, New York.

And Kawhi is pretty immune from a lot of the criticism Durant got. He's personally slayed the last two dynasty level teams the NBA has seen. If he wants to not carry a team of either aging legends or good but not great pieces on his back as he ages, I can't blame him.

Enes Kanter said Portland told him he had 6 minutes to decide on their offer.

Wojo on his podcast this morning that he heard a lot of teams were telling free agents that had anywhere between 20 minutes to a hour to decide on deals.

Because clearly the best deals are made when everyone is panicking

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wojo on his podcast this morning that he heard a lot of teams were telling free agents that had anywhere between 20 minutes to a hour to decide on deals.

I think it's a commentary on how weird this free agent year is. There are a lot of quality guys out there, and teams are scared to lose out on other guys because they're waiting on answers from other stars. Kawhi and KD are probably the only two who could get away with stalling, which Kawhi currently is doing.

54 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is a team all but telling a player, "We do not want you to accept this offer."   Because if they actually valued that person's services, they would allow them to take a minute and breathe and make a decision that will literally affect the rest of the person's life.  

This is *probably* going to be an issue during the next lockout, er, CBA negotiation. 

They could do a “legal tampering” week where a player could meet with other teams, here all the pitches, but can only sign the next week. Then the priority would be to get the last meeting.

too simple?

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

they would allow them to take a minute and breathe and make a decision that will literally affect the rest of the person's life.  

I mean he got 6.

I'm trying to see the silver lining of the possible "Kawhi Lakers", and all I came up with is that his waiting has hamstrung them from picking up any FAs to create depth. Maybe Lebron will show his age next season like we thought he'd start doing 4 years ago.

I'm trying to be optimistic. I'm thinking if he does go next season will still be wide open.

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I mean he got 6.

I'm trying to see the silver lining of the possible "Kawhi Lakers", and all I came up with is that his waiting has hamstrung them from picking up any FAs to create depth. Maybe Lebron will show his age next season like we thought he'd start doing 4 years ago.

I'm trying to be optimistic. I'm thinking if he does go next season will still be wide open.

3 Egos trying to gel together with no depth or other role players just sounds like a method for disaster. Especially as father time sidelined Lebron some this past season, and Lebron is starting to get very lax on defense. I'm not convinced it'll be a cakewalk, and the hungriest of the 3 will be AD who just wants to experience winning a title and going deep in the playoffs.

Zach Lowe's new article talks about end of an era for GSW: sure. But then after talking about them settling for D'Angelo, how he would've almost preferred them to stick with Iguodala and fill out the roster with mid-level exceptions, he he says that Iguodala wouldn't make sense on this team because "Golden State likely isn't contending this season." 

tenor.gif?itemid=9343841

They will be up there with the best of the West and Klay will likely be back for the playoffs. Even if Kawhi goes to the Lakers, that ain't no lock. GSW will also likely add some thirsty vets, no? I am not going to pretend to understand the NBA's exceptions.

Yeah, Russell ain't the best fit for that team because they are more about movement off the ball with picks than they are about on-ball PnR. Neither was Durant and no D'Angelo is not KD but he's still developed into an elite player. It'll be interesting to see how they adapt but Steph changed his game when Durant joined the team and was willing to play second fiddle when most guys coming off back-to-back MVPs wouldn't be okay with reduced touches. They'll make it work. I'm feeling Jazz, Lakers, GSW for the top three spots in the west. I'd be very surprised if the Warriors don't have home court advantage for the playoffs.

Edit: holy shit, Bobby Marks says GSW ain't making the playoffs.

Edited by Oyaji

They'll land probably two vets on minimum deals to flesh out their depth. Shit, I could even see Cousins re-signing because apparently ain't nobody touching that even with the mid-level exception. 

I want to see Jamal Crawford on that team to replace KD's iso ball, lol.

One last edit: lots of people trying to pour some water on the Kawhi/Lakers talk. I'm okay with this.

Edited by Oyaji

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I would be shocked if the Thunder don't start taking offers on Russ and PG.