DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

No real surprises tonight (okay, I'm a bit surprised ROY wasn't a bit closer, given how Doncic kinda faded down the stretch while Young kept improving, but I think Luka still deserved the win, so NBD)

But, man, MVP feels hollow after watching Kawhi erase Giannis for large chunks of the ECF, and stake a pretty fucking excellent claim to "Best Player on the Planet" status.

Giannis still deserved the award, he was the best player in the regular season, but it sure would've felt less anticlimactic if he got it before game 1 of the ECF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

No real surprises tonight (okay, I'm a bit surprised ROY wasn't a bit closer, given how Doncic kinda faded down the stretch while Young kept improving, but I think Luka still deserved the win, so NBD)

But, man, MVP feels hollow after watching Kawhi erase Giannis for large chunks of the ECF, and stake a pretty fucking excellent claim to "Best Player on the Planet" status.

Giannis still deserved the award, he was the best player in the regular season, but it sure would've felt less anticlimactic if he got it before game 1 of the ECF.

Yeah. The whole „Awards 3 weeks after last game of the finals“ is anti-climatic af.

• Like 1

My face at all the people that thought Trae Young had a chance.

giphy.gif

Luka didn't fade nearly as much as people like to suggest. I can say this having watched literally every Mavs game this season. He did have some fatigue issues down the stretch after 4 of the 5 starters were all traded, and he was expected to carry the entire load, but he still maintained or improved all of his averages during that time.  Trae was REALLY good in the back half of the season, but Luka was still really good during that time too, plus it wasn't even a contest before that.

Giannis winning is a joke. All he does is travel and flop his way to the free throw line. Every bad thing they say about Harden, Giannis actually does. Narratives.

Also, can we take a break between regular season and playoffs and do this award ceremony then? It’s dumb that we do it a month after the playoffs are over. Or just announce it at a game. Assuming the MVP is still in the playoffs.

• Like 1

While they may not have the rings, the titles, or the respect of peers and fans, the Rockets do consistently lead the league in Excuses Above Replacement Player.  Maybe they can hang that next to their "DID NOT PAY LUXURY TAX 2019-20" banner.

In conclusion:

wyg9smhloi921.gif

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Surprised that doesn't happen more often.  He's clearly better at dodging MVP awards than the ball.

But can he dodge a wrench?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

How the fuck are they going to get that under the cap?

They'd need to dump Paul and Capela, and they don't really have anything left to sweeten that with. Philly doesn't need Capela, and I can't imagine they want Paul's contract, and I don't know anyone else that will to open up the space.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

How the fuck are they going to get that under the cap?

They'd need to dump Paul and Capela, and they don't really have anything left to sweeten that with. Philly doesn't need Capela, and I can't imagine they want Paul's contract, and I don't know anyone else that will to open up the space.

Eric Gordon and Nene match Butler's opt-in salary.  It works in the trade machine!  Eric Gordon would actually be a good fit in Philly. 

6 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Eric Gordon and Nene match Butler's opt-in salary.  It works in the trade machine!  Eric Gordon would actually be a good fit in Philly. 

If I was Philly, I'd hang up on that offer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

and let Jimmy leave without getting anything in return?  Can probably throw in some future 1sts, too. 

That's assuming Jimmy really would go somewhere else if he can't go to Houston, as opposed to realizing Philly is his best shot.

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

"Surely this ball-dominant guard that's a huge prick will be the answer to our problems!" - Daryl Morey, apparently.

It worked two years ago!