DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, Klay is a warrior for life. His dad said as much. I still want Kawhi and KD to sign for the Clippers, with the latter coming back just in time for the playoffs to fuck everybody's plans up. It's going to be a wild year next season and I love it. Wide open with talent everywhere! 

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think KD probably does get a max, but I'd be terrified to give it to him. Because history says he'll never be back to who he was before he ruptured his Achilles.

Generally I would agree, but KD is like the best suited out of anyone to recover from this specific injury.  He doesn't rely on athleticism in the same way a smaller player does or a big man who is pounding down low would.  He should still be able to shoot over everyone even without the same lift as before.  He probably will never return to his pre-injury level defensively, but the buckets aint going anywhere.

28 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He'll be able to shoot but he may become a liability on defense so a taller Steph Curry. 

Actually that just sounds a lot like Dirk... Which isn't a bad player to be similar to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Actually that just sounds a lot like Dirk... Which isn't a bad player to be similar to.

I think KD will still be a great player but I don't think GSW can give him, Klay and Dray the max,  they really need to work on depth as these guys get older. 

And apparently this is a thing...

Big gamble. Bron Bron better be nice and not pick on AD or pout too much or else he'll legit cruise the fuck on out. Interesting.

I mean, it seems like there's a bit of a gulf between #3 and 4 at the draft this year and if you have LeBron and Davis long term those will be shitty picks. It's all about locking up AD.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

But I guess this is just setting up Davis for the supermax next year. So yeah, if that's the case, then I don't think it's bad from an LA perspective at all. Health and who they surround them with are the big question marks now.

They basically have LeBron, AD, and Kuzma. Vets will come crawling and but how many mid-level guys can they sign?

Edited by Oyaji

I could see Jamal Crawford going there to be a 6th man or playing with the stars should they need instant offense.

Bobby Marks is talking about how they can save money/room if they delay the trade until late July, so perhaps the deal won't be official official for quite some time.

edit: 

That would be incredible. Fill out with vets chasing a ring and that is your favourites for the 2019-20 season.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Why does Anthony Davis get such a pass for extreme lack of team success? Everyone always considers him one of the best players in the league but his teams have a remarkable lack of success despite his “great” individual play. I don’t think a lot of his teams were completely bereft of talent, either.

one great player is supposed to make a world of difference on team success but that’s never really translated for the Pelicans.

i think the Lakers,unless they add another major player, aren’t going to be worldbeaters, especially in the West.

trade CP3 to the Lakers! Give us whoever’s left!

I am going to laugh my ass off if Ball immediately turns into a really good player like Russell did.

The Pelicans have had some really poorly built teams, and some really bad injury luck and similar, but even if Davis does lack the mysterious ability to make others better, he won't need to nearly as much as with LeBron there.

54 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

i think the Lakers,unless they add another major player, aren’t going to be worldbeaters, especially in the West.

That's the thing.  The Lakers haven't looked like a team that anyone would want to play for this past season and looked like they weren't going to get anyone big in the off-season either.  The Davis trade changes everything.   Now they have the money and two of the top players in the league to entice another major player to join.

But I agree, Lakers aren't a contender without getting at least one more star.  And now I bet they do.

Edited by sydneybrown