DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Well, I guess we can start this, because Magic Johnson just lost his power struggle and is stepping down as LA's President of Basketball Operations. 

I wonder.... You don't think they'd trade.... 

No. No. That's not possible. 

I do totally believe he just wasn't having fun and hated having to really follow the tampering rules. So, fuck it.

I mean, it's pretty much what happened with his coaching career as well.

• Like 1

I still can't believe last night happened.  Truly amazing.

Minnesota is going to retain GM Scott Layden and coach Ryan Saunders for at least one more year.  Haven't heard any terms announced.

The Kings are extending Vlade Divac; Divac is going to fire Dave Joerger.  They're also consolidating decision making power with Vlade, which seems like a pretty Kings thing to do.

• Like 1

Bulls are going to extend Boylen for three more years.

Will probably sign Derrick Rose in the summer to sell jerseys while we suck. Just like they did with Wade. Just like they did with Jabari Parker.

Enjoy your teams that are doing well guys. You never know when it'll be over and you'll be sitting in a dark room watching old highlights of Derrick Rose's MVP year, and crying about how it was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be forever.

48 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Bulls are going to extend Boylen for three more years.

Will probably sign Derrick Rose in the summer to sell jerseys while we suck. Just like they did with Wade. Just like they did with Jabari Parker.

Enjoy your teams that are doing well guys. You never know when it'll be over and you'll be sitting in a dark room watching old highlights of Derrick Rose's MVP year, and crying about how it was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be forever.

Pistons celebrated the 15th anniversary of the 04 title last night.

I kinda wish there was a couple truly terrible teams in the last decade. Instead this is their third 8th seed since 09, they haven't won a playoff game, and also haven't had a top five pick. Having a few bad years can help. Being mediocre, fighting for the 8th seed is hell.

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pistons celebrated the 15th anniversary of the 04 title last night.

I kinda wish there was a couple truly terrible teams in the last decade. Instead this is their third 8th seed since 09, they haven't won a playoff game, and also haven't had a top five pick. Having a few bad years can help. Being mediocre, fighting for the 8th seed is hell.

the worst possible position in the entire NBA is 6-10th seed in the east.  You really have no way to get better, despite not being that good.  I was talking to my coworkers when John Wall got injured, and I told them that they should trade Bradley Beal immediately.  As long a Bradley Beal is on the team, The Wizards will be too good to have any real chance at a top pick.  John Wall may never be the same again, so they should have used this year and next to bottom out and try to reup on young talent, but they are the Wizards, so they decided to do nothing.  Detroit is in the same boat with Blake Griffin, he's way too good for your team to be bad enough to get better.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

the worst possible position in the entire NBA is 6-10th seed in the east.  You really have no way to get better, despite not being that good.  I was talking to my coworkers when John Wall got injured, and I told them that they should trade Bradley Beal immediately.  As long a Bradley Beal is on the team, The Wizards will be too good to have any real chance at a top pick.  John Wall may never be the same again, so they should have used this year and next to bottom out and try to reup on young talent, but they are the Wizards, so they decided to do nothing.  Detroit is in the same boat with Blake Griffin, he's way too good for your team to be bad enough to get better.

Even before Blake it was like this though. There were a couple years they looked like a bottom five team for the first half, then rallied to play .500 ball the second half of the season, got the 12th pick, people got hope up about the second half... Then they finished with 35 wins again the next year. For 11 straight years now. They've won between 25 and 44 games each year, and finished between 8th and 12th out East. And they've picked between 7 and 18.

It's just this never-ending, completely numbing hell.

Per 100 possessions, the Rockets outscored opponents by 1.1 points without Harden, and 6.2 with him.

Per 100 possessions, the Bucks outscored opponents by 4.3 points without Giannis, and 12.5 with him.

Giannis edged Harden in PER and ran away with WS/48. Harden edged Giannis in total win shares and ran away with VORP.

The Bucks finished 7 games better than the Rockets, which feels like the tie breaker (they also finished with a better winning percentage against the West than Houston did, which undercuts the inferior conference argument)

I don't think there's a wrong answer between the two of them, but I would vote Giannis. 

Harden, meanwhile, has cemented his cumulative argument for best player in the NBA over the last half decade, being a lock to get his fourth top two finish in MVP voting in five years (Curry was top two twice, nobody else more than once in that stretch)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Per 100 possessions, the Rockets outscored opponents by 1.1 points without Harden, and 6.2 with him.

Per 100 possessions, the Bucks outscored opponents by 4.3 points without Giannis, and 12.5 with him.

Giannis edged Harden in PER and ran away with WS/48. Harden edged Giannis in total win shares and ran away with VORP.

The Bucks finished 7 games better than the Rockets, which feels like the tie breaker (they also finished with a better winning percentage against the West than Houston did, which undercuts the inferior conference argument)

I don't think there's a wrong answer between the two of them, but I would vote Giannis. 

Harden, meanwhile, has cemented his cumulative argument for best player in the NBA over the last half decade, being a lock to get his fourth top two finish in MVP voting in five years (Curry was top two twice, nobody else more than once in that stretch)

How about the tiebreaker being that Harden scored almost 10 more points than Giannis per game. 

Sure, Giannis had a good year. Harden had a record breaking legendary year. 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"Good year" is the second player in the last 40+ years to average 27-12-6

LOL

I’m not knocking that Giannis didn’t have a great year. 

Harden just had a historic / record breaking / legendary year. 

I know what you're saying. What you are willfully ignoring is that by WS/48 and on/off net rating, Giannis had a bigger impact on his team's performance, and did so while putting up numbers in the Kareem/Wilt neighborhood, and finishing in the top three on both ends of the court. 

Oh, and for fun, be averaged more points per shot attempt than Harden (1.6-1.48)