DVDVR Message Board

WWE Superstar Shake-up 2019.

The Natural

6 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I spent an hour in stunned disbelief at how terrible the name was, (well ok I spent like eight minutes in disbelief and the other fifty-two cooking up jokes about it) and then I'm like "alright this is trash but I'll bet the match is gonna be fun" and then Graves said that line and I went nope and turned off the show.

I had a similar experience. The shit that Graves was saying really made me think that this was Vince trying to portray these dudes as actual vikings that arrived here from the past. So to me, that's their gimmick. They're actual vikings.

This is why I think that they're only months away from having a dumb as fuck eating contest against Otis before permanently entering jobberville. I mean, if they want to surprise me by proving me wrong, then hey, more power to them.

Also, maybe it's me being a little overly sensitive after watching the wedding Rowe and Sarah had, but saddling them with this real vikings gimmick just feels super insulting. It's a little punk-ish in that there's a lot of DIY to it, but they do a lot of shit outdoors, the culture is clearly important to them, and all Vince can do is just portray them as some LARPers or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And I guess if anyone was still wondering if somehow Sanity was still together

I mean Dain to NXT UK would make sense but you would also think they would keep him and Nikki together

If I had to guess,  Wolfe going to NXT UK to join the EU faction would be likely,  think Dain has a bigger upside on Smackdown than Wolfe.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Usually Money in the Bank is June, July time. 

They announced a few months ago that they had flipped Money in the Bank and Backlash - hence why MITB is now May

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I had a similar experience. The shit that Graves was saying really made me think that this was Vince trying to portray these dudes as actual vikings that arrived here from the past. So to me, that's their gimmick. They're actual vikings.

This is why I think that they're only months away from having a dumb as fuck eating contest against Otis before permanently entering jobberville. I mean, if they want to surprise me by proving me wrong, then hey, more power to them.

Also, maybe it's me being a little overly sensitive after watching the wedding Rowe and Sarah had, but saddling them with this real vikings gimmick just feels super insulting. It's a little punk-ish in that there's a lot of DIY to it, but they do a lot of shit outdoors, the culture is clearly important to them, and all Vince can do is just portray them as some LARPers or something.

Vince's long history of rib gimmicks based on people's real lives justifies your sensitivity

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm stunned they're running that Shield thing on Sunday. Ain't nobody got time for that. 

Well again - they were already running the RAW and SDL house shows - they are just airing the Shield match (and the Finn Balor IC title defense) as filler

It does seem like an intentional strategy to do "live" programming on Sunday nights since they did When World's Collide on Sunday night, now this (to go along with the PPVs)

This thread is moving fast. Samoa Joe is absolutely a dumb name. Think of the equivalents - America Terry, or Canada Bret. If they had brought Cesaro in as Switzerland Claudio you'd all be laughing your asses off.

• Like 4

Just now, Swiftian said:

This thread is moving fast. Samoa Joe is absolutely a dumb name. Think of the equivalents - America Terry, or Canada Bret. If they had brought Cesaro in as Switzerland Claudio you'd all be laughing your asses off.

You say that as if America Terry isn't an amazing name.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Graves said something along the lines of, "these guys are really vikings! They make their own weapons and eat raw meat!"

I sat there after hearing what was obviously fed to him and thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Don’t forget that they make their own clothes !

That said, the name is dumb, we all agree.  But it’s not going to hurt them any.  It reminds me of When Strowman debuted and you guys spent interminable week’s mocking the name.  And did it hurt him? Once he started doing cool things, everyone forgot about how much they mocked the name and went right along with it.  

Most WWE tag names are dumb really.  Authors of Pain made some sense with Ellering but mostly sounded like pissed-off self-publishers.  The Bar is taken from a truck commercial.  The Revival sounds like a Southern Baptist pray-a-thon.  The New Day is bad too.  But they all did well enough that people accepted them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caley said:

Don’t forget that they make their own clothes !

That said, the name is dumb, we all agree.  But it’s not going to hurt them any.  It reminds me of When Strowman debuted and you guys spent interminable week’s mocking the name.  And did it hurt him? Once he started doing cool things, everyone forgot about how much they mocked the name and went right along with it.  

Most WWE tag names are dumb really.  Authors of Pain made some sense with Ellering but mostly sounded like pissed-off self-publishers.  The Bar is taken from a truck commercial.  The Revival sounds like a Southern Baptist pray-a-thon.  The New Day is bad too.  But they all did well enough that people accepted them.  

I sometimes regret starting the whole Space Mutiny thing for Braun on here, but Cristobal or someone else put together a list of all the names we came up with and I thought, man, I'm so proud of you all. Even still, Braun Strowman was a BAD name per se. It felt like it was a randomly generated name, but it was still ok.

The tag team names you mentioned all sound fine to me. The Revival is the revival of good tag team wrestling. No one thought the New Day gimmick was bad, people reacted to them like the heels they were, and I think I first saw it on here but someone said that Kofi and Xavier were doing too good of a job of being heels that they would inadvertently turn themselves face, which is exactly what happened. The name was fine, the gimmick was shit especially because they were supposed to be faces at first. The Authors of Pain did make more sense when Paul Ellering was their manager, but it's still a pretty metal sounding name in the vein of the Legion of Doom or the Road Warriors. I'm not aware of the truck commercial you're referring to for The Bar, but I remember when they came up with that name they mentioned grabbing the brass ring and setting the bar and then said that they are The Bar, so in that sense, that makes sense.

The Viking Experience is just actively bad, especially when coupled with Corey's explanation of them. Even weirder was how much Corey and Cole went out of their way to not mention they were the War Raiders in NXT.

And I guess this is where the double standard comes into play...If these guys came over from WCW and their name was the War Raiders over there, I could understand calling them the Viking Experience and going out of your way to avoid referencing who they were before. But that's not the case though. They came over from NXT and beyond saying "you may have seen these guys on NXT," you'd think from how they were announced that Vince wants you to completely forget they came from NXT and who they were before, but it's all the same company. It's just...weird. Even weirder than normal. It's the type of own goal you'd expect from TNA, and now you're seeing it more and more with WWE.