DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 10-7-13

MGFanJay

It's really hilarious that MNF doesn't get all of the blame. It's literally the only reason for the ratings drop.

It is for me. I was really into the DBry vs. Corporation 2K13 storyline but football always takes precedence for me.

Can't say about Cena, but Edge, Batista and Mark Henry were delivering great ratings early on in their title runs.

Personally, I think Bryan is incredibly talented and has a lot of personality, but does he have real tangible star quality? I'm not neccessarily talking about being good-looking, although him looking like a lumberjack turned hobo probably doesn't help, but just something that's going to get someone who's flipping through channels stop just to see what the guy is going to do next?  

The thing you're never supposed to say is, "Well, maybe Vince is right to think a guy who wouldn't stand out in a crowd/looks like a regular dude in the grocery store isn't main event material." But considering how a lot of indie guys have flopped in the top roles, he may indeed be on to something.

Physical charisma is a very real thing.

So... re-sign Tajiri?

• Like 1

When I'm talking about having the look of a star, I don't mean being some huge freakish looking muscle-head. Mark Henry's got physical presence in spades and he's far from a bodybuilder. Ambrose too.

Daniel Bryan frequently comes off as exactly what he is: a nice, down-to-earth guy who works hard and, if wrestling hadn't worked out, could have been a teacher or a community organizer or whatever.  Which is fine. But fans tune in to see larger-than-life characters and he's not one.

Bryan also hasn't made money for the company period.

Say what you want about Punk not being the big rating draw. But when it's time to sell t-shirts, DVD's, wrist bands, t-shirts, commemorate plates, t-shirts, garden gnomes, t-shirts, garden gnome t-shirts. No matter what the product is as long as it has Punks face on it that baby will sell. 

Bryan also hasn't made money for the company period.

Say what you want about Punk not being the big rating draw. But when it's time to sell t-shirts, DVD's, wrist bands, t-shirts, commemorate plates, t-shirts, garden gnomes, t-shirts, garden gnome t-shirts. No matter what stuffing instead of potatoes is as long as it has Punks face on it that baby will sell. 

And so does Bryan's. You constantly say shit like this but have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to back it up with. You have no idea whether Bryan sells merch. You've done zero research. 

• Like 2

The only thing they've come out for him recently were those stupid towels, and that gag shirt they came out with during Summer Slam season. They haven't created new stuff since then. That most likely means his merch isn't moving, and they are still trying to sell the boxes, and boxes of crap they have in storage.

Jesus, didn't we literally have this exact conversation about Punk last year, at this time.

RATINGS ARE DOWN, PUNK ISN'T A DRAW.

Merch sale arguments.

um, guys, the ratings fall at this time of the year every fucking year because of MNF and MLB playoffs, and always bounce back up just in time for the road to wrestlemania/end of the football season....

• Like 1

So no proof. 

I don't have definitive proof, but if Daniel Bryan had a tribute/trailer made to celebrate t-shirts that made the WWE lots of money like this one...

Then we will truly know if Bryan has made the company money.

The only thing they've come out for him recently were those stupid towels, and that gag shirt they came out with during Summer Slam season. 

Untrue. The newest non-Komen shirt is the new Goatface shirt. It's also the highest selling non-Komen shirt on the site. This took literally 1 minute to look up.

I'm not neccessarily talking about being good-looking, although him looking like a lumberjack turned hobo probably doesn't help

Yeah, stop right there. Bryan's look was a huge part of getting him over, and anyone thinking clean-shaven crew cut Bryan would be better on any level is basically Grampa Simpson talking about Joe Namath.And why are you people engaging Gonzalez when you could just guess what his response is and be 99% correct? Don't validate his shtick by taking it seriously.
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why I should give a shit about ratings, t-shirt sales, or pay per view buys. Now the Shield, Dustin Rhodes and Antonio Cesaro, those are things worth caring about within the context of the show. Don't need the WWE to sell a lot of The Shield Piggy Banks to validate my opinion one way or the other; it is just an opinion after all. It might have made sense to care about ratings back when the Monday night wars were going on. Just seems weird now.

• Like 6

Untrue. The newest non-Komen shirt is the new Goatface shirt. It's also the highest selling non-Komen shirt on the site. This took literally 1 minute to look up.

No it's not. This weird ass Rhodes Family shirt is...

Both of you can stop now. Neither of you know what the best selling shirt is. The "best selling" function on internet retailers is code for "show me what you most want to sell right now." No one has it tied to actual sales figures.