DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 10-7-13

MGFanJay

Rating was a 2.7.

It's a shame Bryan hasn't taken off as a top guy but, similar to Punk, someone being over huge with the hardcore base doesn't guarantee they'll appeal to a casual audience.

It also isn't an overnight thing. Hell, even the biggest star they ever had took a year to get over as a top guy.

• Like 2

Rating was a 2.7.

It's a shame Bryan hasn't taken off as a top guy but, similar to Punk, someone being over huge with the hardcore base doesn't guarantee they'll appeal to a casual audience.

It also isn't an overnight thing. Hell, even the biggest star they ever had took a year to get over as a top guy.

And didn't really become a "ratings" draw until what, a bit after that?

As for the rating, I know that I haven't watched Raw since Monday Night Football has come back. I wonder how many others have switched to MNF. I'll be back for the Rumble.

A lot of people. Ratings are always down during football season, they really go down at the beginning of October, last year the October 2 show got a 2.5 rating! The 2011 got a 2.9 but that was the show with the big vote of no confidence angle. A 2.7 rating should be expected at this time. 

• Like 1

Rating was a 2.7.

And didn't really become a "ratings" draw until what, a bit after that?

Pretty much. To the best of my knowledge, there's only been a few actual main event "draws" in the past decade. Batista, Cena, Edge, and Eddie. Beyond that, I seem to recall Mark Henry popping a rating when he was champ on Smackdown.

I'm more interested in the NOC/Battleground buys and house show gates since Cena's been hurt than Raw ratings. I'd expect Battleground to be subpar because the card looked like crap and I'd imagine very few people expected it to be a decisive show, but I'll be interested to see how they compare to recent years. HIAC would've been a great indicator as well until Cena was announced.

WWE could really use Batista back right now. Brock Lesnar too. Hell, Mark Henry would help but I'm not sure what shape he's in physically. I can't remember if he's hurt or what. They just need more guys that are perceived as credible threats.

Can't say about Cena, but Edge, Batista and Mark Henry were delivering great ratings early on in their title runs.

Personally, I think Bryan is incredibly talented and has a lot of personality, but does he have real tangible star quality? I'm not neccessarily talking about being good-looking, although him looking like a lumberjack turned hobo probably doesn't help, but just something that's going to get someone who's flipping through channels stop just to see what the guy is going to do next?  

The thing you're never supposed to say is, "Well, maybe Vince is right to think a guy who wouldn't stand out in a crowd/looks like a regular dude in the grocery store isn't main event material." But considering how a lot of indie guys have flopped in the top roles, he may indeed be on to something.

Physical charisma is a very real thing.

• Like 1

I am someone that would seriously contemplate not watching if guys like Bryan and Punk were not at the top of the card. The last few months have renewed my interest for a good while, assuming that Bryan remains at the top of the card and Punk eventually gets his rematch and win over Brock.

• Like 1

I think if the suits figured Eva Marie would go out there and pull a Jackie Gayda, they were sadly mistaken. From what I watched of the match she didn't do too bad. Granted she stuck to the basics (which is all I'm guessing she knows). But she didn't kill anyone with a headlock takedown or anything so that's a plus.

Jo Jo didn't even get into the match. Why even have it as a six woman match anyway. Is she even going to be a wrestler for them? AJ is small, but Jo Jo's size in comparison makes AJ look like a bah gawd hoss in comparison.

As for the rating, simple explanation is they dicked Bryan around for too long. He should have kept the belt at Summerslam and kept thwarting all of Triple H and Stephanie's plans. Honestly I'd put blame on Bryan having to feud with Orton rather than Bryan being a flop. Wrestling wise they have great matches together. But storywise, there's nothing that makes me want to see these two keep fighting.

Until WWE has to go back to running RAW's in 3,000-seat stadiums, I think they'll be okay. Television ratings don't matter. It's live television and some network is always going to want that on their dial. Spike is probably salivating at the thought of being able to have RAW back again to prop up their UFC rip-off.

Plus, even if they can't find a network they can always start their ow...

Ooooh.

It's really hilarious that MNF doesn't get all of the blame. It's literally the only reason for the ratings drop.

Yes that and the MLB playoffs. Ratings will always go down to low levels in October no matter who is on. Even Rock in 2011 couldn't bring them above 3.0 in October. Think of how many people on this board don't watch Raw to watch Monday Night Football or the Playoffs and multiply that by thousands and you have your reason. For example I didn't watch Raw in order to watch the Dodger game. 

I wonder why people use this time to say that the booking sucks, or so and so isn't a draw. I guess because otherwise discussion would be pretty boring. "Why are ratings down? Because of Monday Night Football and the MLB playoffs" isn't a very stimulating discussion.